Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-04-2022, 01:47 AM   #1
Divisible_By_0
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 529235
Default EJ22E "High power" build

I'm working on building up this Phase1 EJ22 (physical size and weight constraints limit engine choice)
I have no real power goal for this thing, I read somewhere and it was again parroted to me by a couple guys I've talked to that these engines are not capable of more than 200hp NA, I said bet to that as I'm stuck with this engine and I like proving people wrong. So solving problems with math and money we will find what these can really do.

Current build plan and please tell me what I have thats incompatible or if there's a better part to use.
Block is a 01/1998 EJ22E, I'm looking at running the Manley 75mm turbo tuff lightened crank; I was told their machined for dual thrust so it should work with the #3 thrust bearing (waiting on email from Manley to confirm this). Manley H beam rods for the WRX, Wiseco pistons with a shelf change for 11:1 compression and larger quench surface, custom +1.5mm valves from SI Valves because port opening gains more than a cam regrind and being SOHC the overlap start to hurt street driveablity. That said I might still get a custom grind from Delta cams depending on what I can calculate out for gains from modified valve durations. Due to block and head deck work and running as thin of a turbo head gasket as I can get away with to keep my quench gains as high and tight as possible I'm looking at the Brian Crower adjustable exhaust cams for the STI to keep the cam timing in order after changing the cam to crank distances. Dry sump oiling system, ACL race bearings and a really spicy alternator and A/C compressor set up you'll just have to see to understand.

The intake and head side of this parts bin special is fed by custom ported intake and exhaust on my flow bench mated to a personally engineered ITB manifold with variable length runners because I want low end torque and to find what rpm the rockers break at. WRX top feed port injection with staged injection with another set of the WRX injectors mounted just behind the ITB blades for more stable fueling in the upper rpms after 5300. Becuase I'm now poor after all this I'm running it on 93 pump gas and after finding where my knock limits lie if it's not enough power I'm gonna run pre throttle meth injection and see if it gains me any more or if I just pull the system out.

As far as I have been able to research and calculate all the bottom end parts work together but any input is very much appreciated, I'm still trying to figure out what valve springs to run on this thing if I keep oem or switch to EJ22T, I have test fit SOHC EJ25 springs they have a higher installed spring rate but on the 22 head they bind quite hard so info on springs would be nice if not I throw the heads back on my mill and drop the spring seats a few thousand and it clears up all the bind issues. The crank and rods are an area of concern for me if the Manley crank comes back not working with #3 thrust then I'm not sure what to use I do know that the K1 crank is for sure dual thrust ready but it's not lightened like the Manley so I feel it's not worth the money at that point. If I end up using a stock crank what do I do about getting upgraded rods I haven't found anything for the 49mm rod bearings and I have read conflicting info on rod lengths for phase1 and 2 rods so I would then need to have the Wiseco pistons machined for a different wrist pin offset.
Divisible_By_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
Divisible_By_0
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 529235
Default Post update

I have received information from Manley so my crankshaft selection is now confirmed and for anyone else who might need the information.
The Turbo Tuff standard stroke lightened crankshaft from Manley is compatible with either #5, #3, or both thrust bearings.
Divisible_By_0 is offline   Reply With Quote