Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
Hallucidini
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 516887
Vehicle:
2004 Wrx
Silver

Default Timing belt guides gone missing

I tore into my 2004 wrx last night to do a timing belt and water pump change. Everything was going good until I realized the main timing belt guide over the crankshaft was missing completely. Looked for the other guides and they were missing also. The weird part is that the back cover doesnt have any holes where the two left hand sides guides would be mounted.
I have never touched the timing on this vehicle as I purchased it about 3 months ago. The only seal on the timing cover was the top seal. Someone did a **** job of putting this car back together. If anyone could give me some insight on the timing guide mounting situation that would be amazing. Also if anyone has a comprehensive list of the timing cover seals that would be cool as well.
Hallucidini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Hallucidini
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Wrx
Silver

Well it looks like the last guy settled for parts for an automatic rather than find the parts they actually needed. Guess I'm going to be taking some cam gears off and replacing the back timing covers.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
MortonCharbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487057
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucidini View Post
Well it looks like the last guy settled for parts for an automatic rather than find the parts they actually needed. Guess I'm going to be taking some cam gears off and replacing the back timing covers.
I have the back timing covers, guides, gaskets, hardware, etc new in the bags. Make me an offer if you're interested in any or all of it. This should replace everything having to do with the rear timing covers. You can look at the parts diagram at parts.Subaru.com to give you an idea of how to put it all together. The only part I don't have oem is the guide that goes over the crankshaft sprocket. I do have an IAG guide somewhere. I'll take a look for it today. Here's pics of all the parts I have:

https://img.nasioc.com/album/timing-belt-covers.R8RJ

Last edited by MortonCharbo; 09-20-2020 at 03:03 PM.
MortonCharbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Hallucidini
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Wrx
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonCharbo View Post
I have the back timing covers, guides, gaskets, hardware, etc new in the bags. Make me an offer if you're interested in any or all of it. This should replace everything having to do with the rear timing covers. You can look at the parts diagram at parts.Subaru.com to give you an idea of how to put it all together. The only part I don't have oem is the guide that goes over the crankshaft sprocket. I do have an IAG guide somewhere. I'll take a look for it today. Here's pics of all the parts I have:

https://img.nasioc.com/album/timing-belt-covers.R8RJ
PM sent