Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-08-2020, 11:56 PM   #1
Omkhalil95
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 511518
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
Silver

Default Arashi Dynamics TD06H-20g-10cm Dual Ball Bearing Turbo

[IMG][/IMG]

Owner of a 2008 STI, bought it bone stock basically and working my way up to building the perfect fun Subaru that's 100% daily drivable and reliable. Thought that with 85k miles on an untouched motor I decided time to slowly start a forged engine build and while the motor is gonna be beefed up, why not a bit more boost? So I started the search for a turbo.

Full disclosure before I get into the nitty gritty, Arashi Dynamics sponsored my turbo, also full disclosure I had 100% made up my mind that their product was the one I was going with. I'm also a marketing guy and I've done a lot of product reviews over the years just for the love of sharing good stuff with people so my opinion is not really tainted by this but who knows.

I stipulated that I prioritized two things: #1 above all else was low end throttle response, quick spool and low end torque. #2 was serious reliability, get in and daily for another 100k miles. He had an Arashi Turbo on display in one of his cases and he handed it to me and told me a bit about them, not super well known Japanese Turbo manufacturer, assemble stuff in Taiwan, Kuro dual ball bearing cartridges, but he'd installed and tuned a bunch of them on customer cars and spoke very highly of them about their quality control, reliability and cost. I know hes built and tuned probably hundreds of high hp subies over the years so I put alot of stock in his advice. And he was like.... sub $1k...... $901 for this turbo!!!!!!!!!!!! I was pretty impressed, looked at it, super clean castings, beefy bits all over the place, great hardware and fittings, beefy wastegate actuator, just impressive all around.

Decided to do some research about other dual ball bearing set ups new for the subie platform, everything seemed to be $1800+. So I instantly was skeptical, I was finding used journal bearing Cobb 20gs being sold for $800, how could a dual ball bearing turbo be sold for $900 brand new shipped? So I decided to find some local owners of arashi turbos and pick their brains. Found that between them they had 100s of thousands of miles trouble and oil burning/leaking free, making reliable strong consistent power from day one till now.

Received my turbo in a week, shipped from Taiwan, every oil and coolant line you need, a graph that showed the balance of the wheels graphed specific to my turbo stamped with their QC seal, every gasket, key chain, a sport tie up knapsack thingy, stickers, looking so very good.Clean castings, beefy everything, ready to be installed. I genuinely am amazed at the quality they can offer at this price point, and think that there isn't a better warrantied stock location turbo on the market for this price. The entire build is getting thrown together and into the car within the next month hopefully or near that, and hopefully will be updating this review with install insights, break in update and dyno numbers and graphs! Cant wait till then!!!!

Last edited by Omkhalil95; 10-28-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Omkhalil95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #2
GeoNV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518830
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
dark grey metallic

Really like what you’ve written so far. Any updates?
GeoNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #3
Juan Ma
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 247861
Vehicle:
2004 FXT
Gold

I have one of those. Blew after only 8 months. Both impellers broke the bldes and catridge went boom. Turbo is fubared. Don't recommend it.
Juan Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:34 PM   #4
Octo187
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 266688
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
07 Subaru STI
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Ma View Post
I have one of those. Blew after only 8 months. Both impellers broke the bldes and catridge went boom. Turbo is fubared. Don't recommend it.
Which one did you get? I just picked up the arashi 3582.
Octo187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:34 PM   #5
Octo187
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 266688
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
07 Subaru STI
Blue

OP how's the car and turbo running 2 years later?
Octo187 is offline   Reply With Quote