Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-06-2021, 01:08 AM   #1
WoolenTuna
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522189
Default Engine rebuilding questions/problems (Need Portland help)

Hi there, new owner here (2002 wrx steal of a deal from father in law)

long story short, father in law bought a 2002 wrx from a co worker for a project after his son abandoned the project many years ago.

The engine was literally sitting in the trunk (ran the vin on the engine and it belonged to a 2007 legacy gt spec b) it appeared to have some work done as it has arp studs and bolts all the way around (heads and case).

And then a problem appeared, the passenger side exhaust valves on one cylinder had rust on them, i decided to pop the head and found a rusty disaster on the sidewall of the cylinder. .

After a light scrub with an sos pad to get the lighter stuff off i decided to hit it with a ball hone and knock more off thinking the blocks either ruined or worst case scenario I can just overbore a bit (020) and be good.

(pics in a comment my tablet doesnt want to upload them)

Upon further review im thinking the block might be toast and im having a debate.

Do I have the block inspected (im in the pdx area so im all for reccomendations on shops to check out) and potentially have it overbored?

Or should I just throw in the towel and buy a short block?

If I buy a short block I'm thinking I'll want to go with forged pistons and rods because I will most likely track it down at pir or open it up on the backroads i routinely travel for work. So i'll take recommendations on shops to check out for that too.

I've got subie experience from a couple of EJ25 powered rails my dad has built and ran, so im not opposed to building myself but ive never had to deal with a block issue before.
WoolenTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2021, 01:29 AM   #2
WoolenTuna
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522189

I cant find a way to post the photos yet, but ill gladly share them once i figure this forum out.

Last edited by WoolenTuna; 02-06-2021 at 01:35 AM.
WoolenTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Unabomber
Big Ron
Super Moderator

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

There are 78 ways to fix this problem with boring out to junkyard motor to fire breathing billet block all being options depending on your goals and wallet thickness.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
wrxhermit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352859
Vehicle:
2002 WRX (bugeye)
Black (peeling)

Are there any reputable rebuilders in the Portland area? My 2002 engine spun a bearing (and carved up the cylinder) and I am considering just getting a long block rather than the work (and increasing costs) of rebuilding it myself.
wrxhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:50 AM   #5
supermarkus
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6971
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STi
SSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxhermit View Post
Are there any reputable rebuilders in the Portland area? My 2002 engine spun a bearing (and carved up the cylinder) and I am considering just getting a long block rather than the work (and increasing costs) of rebuilding it myself.

Perhaps PRE? I know they tune and have techs capable of building high hp long blocks.
supermarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
MastiffHouseBrewery
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 517390
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
OBP

I had a great experience with Surgeline Tuning in PDX - they are awesome to work with and do quality work.

they also put up with my loads and loads of questions all the time lol.
MastiffHouseBrewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #7
wrxhermit
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX (bugeye)
Black (peeling)

Thumbs up Bearing Service Co.

I ended up having it done at Bearing Service Company in downtown Portland. Brian was extremely helpful and took the time to explain things in detail and answer all my n00b questions. He went out of his way to help me save money (like suggesting parts that I could source myself rather than having to pay markup) and they got it done within 4 days of getting all the parts. I highly recommend them.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
wrxhermit
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX (bugeye)
Black (peeling)

In the process of putting everything back together, I find that I need the tool to hold the cam pulleys in place while I torque them down. Does anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area have one of these I could borrow? I really don't want to spend $50 for a tool that I will use once for half an hour.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
silverton
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 331131
Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS-T
Silver..thorn Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxhermit View Post
In the process of putting everything back together, I find that I need the tool to hold the cam pulleys in place while I torque them down. Does anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area have one of these I could borrow? I really don't want to spend $50 for a tool that I will use once for half an hour.
don't know if it works on the dohc, but before i bought the $50 tool, i used a 'locking chain clamp' with a section of old timing belt on sohc. honestly i wouldn't go back as you're not saving much money unless you already own one.

sometimes it's better to spend the $50 to do it quickly and easily.
silverton is offline   Reply With Quote