Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
SubaruBastardProject
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519745
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy
Cocaine White

Default BD/BG Cupholder Fix

In my experience with my 95 Legacy, one of the most disappointing elements was the cupholder. I actually removed mine when I bought the car years ago so I wouldn't be tempted to use it.

Technology and education led me a few months ago to seriously consider 3D printing a cupholder as a replacement. I modeled the below, testing borrowed models of a standard 20oz bottle and 12oz can. A test print of my first revision model was very close but needed a bit of work.

I moved the openings away from the center line to allow for a slightly larger opening, just enough to seat a big gulp. Also added some bracing for a flat wall to allow all 4 sides to have contact for a snug fit into the center console area.

After about 18 hours of printing, this was the end result, deliberately done in two pieces to have the best looking overall surfaces with no support material.

Add a few screws and some epoxy and it's ready for installation. No modification to the center console area, just a snug fit. Still allows the armrest to come down and latch in place in addition to adding a compartment for things like valuables. I'm probably biased but it's the best cupholder solution I've seen anyone do for these cars.

Perhaps a bit of a preview of my illumination writeup, I filled the hole in the dash where the old cupholder was with another printed panel. From left to right there is the microphone for the headunit, status LED for the alarm/remote start, USB to the back of the headunit and micro USB for the illumination microcontroller.

There were more pictures but the forum gremlins made me remove some to post.

Last edited by SubaruBastardProject; 10-28-2020 at 11:19 PM. Reason: General Formatting
SubaruBastardProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #2
SubaruBastardProject
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519745
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy
Cocaine White

First revision cupholder below, made with a boat cupholder and some routed pieces of MDF to fit that lip in the back of the console/armrest area. Very janky but it held a drink for 4 years without killing my radio.
SubaruBastardProject is offline   Reply With Quote