Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 6, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2020, 01:37 AM   #2026
Blkspeed307
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508687
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: 5 boroughs
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Silver

Default

Hi currently have 2018 Wrx base
Searched everywhere but havenít found much on h&r rss club sport coilovers as far as ride quality.
Any input appreciated
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Blkspeed307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #2027
xpystchrisx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194785
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspeed307 View Post
Hi currently have 2018 Wrx base
Searched everywhere but havenít found much on h&r rss club sport coilovers as far as ride quality.
Any input appreciated
TLDR - Get yourself a set of RCE Superstreet 1's.

I've had them on a 2013 Golf R, so take that for what it is. The stock spring rates bent both of my lower control arms in the rear and the driver side toe arm. Had to replace all of them. They were also terrible to drive on daily. I talked with an engineer at H&R later and he intoned that I made the wrong decision for a car that would be driving on the street more than 50% of the time. The RSS is really for driving to and from the track, that's it.

If you're not running massively sticky 200tw tires, r-comps, or competing with your car, and you don't already have the rest of your suspension setup with stronger bushings and arms, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. The RSS is hard-core at the expense of all else.

To further my tale of sadness, I spent $1500 plus the $500 for the H&R camber plates and when I took them off they had less than 4000 miles on them. Someone building a dedicated track car dug up my for sale post on the Vortex a year after I posted it, and purchased them from me for less than half I had invested.

But I'm not bitter... at all.
xpystchrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #2028
Blkspeed307
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508687
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: 5 boroughs
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Silver

Default

Damn
Thanks for the input but from what I was able to find on them they are pretty much bilstein internals , inverted forks with internal bump stops with very stiff springs.
That being said I was actually looking at fortune autos 500 , previously had kw v1 on my Mazda speed 3 didnít really like the kwís
But the reason I ask about the h&r is that tire rack has a crazy sale $ on them right now.
So I was thinking of taking a chance on them since they basically seem to be bilstein parts .
But thanks again for your input.
Blkspeed307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #2029
xpystchrisx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194785
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

Well you've hit on the one thing that's really nice about the H&R setup. They are absolutely Bilstein dampers. So if they don't work for you, they can be adjusted. I just caution you that the RSS might need to be revalved to be something other than the most aggressive setup for the dollar.
xpystchrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #2030
Blkspeed307
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508687
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: 5 boroughs
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Silver

Default

Yes sir just contacted fatcat motorsports to see about spring and revalving options to see what they say .
Thanks
Blkspeed307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #2031
xpystchrisx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194785
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

I just saw the pricing on the RSS. I just came back to say thanks for the heads up because this has me thinking. Let me know what FCM says. I know my old RSS used industry standard springs so I was able to reduce spring rates on them using Eibach ERS metric springs easily. At that price...
xpystchrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #2032
Blkspeed307
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508687
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: 5 boroughs
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Silver

Default

Will do
To be quite honest the stock wrx base model suspension is not that stiff really didnít want to lower the car much but for that price $ on tire rack the h&r are cheaper than getting bilstein struts without springs
But letís see what fatcat says
Thanks
Blkspeed307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:27 AM   #2033
ST3EZZY_WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 484895
Join Date: Apr 2018
Default

not sure where to post on forums. But currently running hks gt hipermax fronts and bc rears. Can anyone recommend a swift spring rate for the rear to keep the car from understeering?
fronts are currently 8k
thanks
ST3EZZY_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #2034
LL25t
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 382207
Join Date: Feb 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
'15 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3EZZY_WRX View Post
not sure where to post on forums. But currently running hks gt hipermax fronts and bc rears. Can anyone recommend a swift spring rate for the rear to keep the car from understeering?
fronts are currently 8k
thanks
You have a set of mismatched shocks and your worrying about spring rate???

Either get a set of BC fronts or Hypermax rears to complete the set. You have two different manufactures who have completely different valving profiles.

Whats your alignment at? Other suspension mods? If you can't even get a complete matching set of coilovers. you shouldn't be worrying about spring rates.
LL25t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #2035
BrVO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 488942
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Louisville, Ky
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
ISM (wrap spec c yellow)

Default

I've been looking around for the answer to this, but so far haven't found it and hoping RCE is still active enough here to get an answer: I would like to swap 18+ sti struts onto my 13 sti hatch, would I be able to use RCE's 15+ black springs? Or would the additional drop of the springs have me on the bump stops too much? If this is a usable spring/strut combo it seems like the most economic option for a reasonable drop and handling improvement for a DD
BrVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #2036
LL25t
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 382207
Join Date: Feb 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
'15 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrVO View Post
I've been looking around for the answer to this, but so far haven't found it and hoping RCE is still active enough here to get an answer: I would like to swap 18+ sti struts onto my 13 sti hatch, would I be able to use RCE's 15+ black springs? Or would the additional drop of the springs have me on the bump stops too much? If this is a usable spring/strut combo it seems like the most economic option for a reasonable drop and handling improvement for a DD
Any lowering springs on a set of VA struts for a GR chassis will slam the car as the VA chassis already has less bump travel than GR. I suggest sticking with OE springs.

There are pics of a hatch on VA suspension on the other forum
LL25t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #2037
BrVO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 488942
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Louisville, Ky
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
ISM (wrap spec c yellow)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL25t View Post
Any lowering springs on a set of VA struts for a GR chassis will slam the car as the VA chassis already has less bump travel than GR. I suggest sticking with OE springs.

There are pics of a hatch on VA suspension on the other forum
If I used the 15+ RCE springs though, aren't those designed for the reduced bump travel of the VA struts? I believe I read that the 11-14 years experience less drop from VA struts (1/2" drop I think?) than the 08-10 years (around a full inch drop). If that is accurate the black springs would bring it to around 3/4" of drop, definitely not "slammed".
BrVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #2038
LL25t
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 382207
Join Date: Feb 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
'15 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrVO View Post
If I used the 15+ RCE springs though, aren't those designed for the reduced bump travel of the VA struts? I believe I read that the 11-14 years experience less drop from VA struts (1/2" drop I think?) than the 08-10 years (around a full inch drop). If that is accurate the black springs would bring it to around 3/4" of drop, definitely not "slammed".
Give it a try, seems like others have already done it. First thread that pops up on google when you...search...

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2843327

Last edited by LL25t; 11-10-2020 at 04:01 PM.
LL25t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #2039
BrVO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 488942
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Louisville, Ky
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
ISM (wrap spec c yellow)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL25t View Post
Give it a try, seems like others have already done it. First thread that pops up on google when you...search...

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2843327
I assure you, I have searched and I have already read that thread and others. I always read A LOT before I decide to make a post to try and avoid posting something that could be answered with a search. I decided to ask because all I've seen has been Joe Schmo saying "yea works great you should do it." Plenty of people have made plenty of recommendations on this website that they say are great, but are in fact detrimental to performance. I thought I would see if any of the very suspension knowledgeable users in this thread would weigh in.
BrVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #2040
LL25t
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 382207
Join Date: Feb 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
'15 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrVO View Post
I assure you, I have searched and I have already read that thread and others. I always read A LOT before I decide to make a post to try and avoid posting something that could be answered with a search. I decided to ask because all I've seen has been Joe Schmo saying "yea works great you should do it." Plenty of people have made plenty of recommendations on this website that they say are great, but are in fact detrimental to performance. I thought I would see if any of the very suspension knowledgeable users in this thread would weigh in.
If you searched then you would've found your answer directly from the source you are looking for. RCE does not recommend lowering springs on VA struts for a GR chassis.

https://www.iwsti.com/threads/would-...6/post-4293522

Obviously ppl like to tinker around and some choose to add lowering springs to this setup. Is it recommend by RCE? No.

At the end of the day, it is best to buy parts specific for your car. However, if your are on a budget, OEM VA struts/shocks is a good replacement for a high mileage GR STI still on OE shocks.

Don't believe RCE has ever tested this set up so any feedback you are looking for is from the few in that nasioc thread who are running this set up.
LL25t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:05 PM   #2041
PilotKD
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131702
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
CWP

Default

I just ordered a set of the GT Works Trophy Cup coilovers for my 2017. I have only found one review of them on here, but they were highly recommended by Myles at RCE when I spoke to him via email and text a few months ago. I will post my impressions once I get them in.
PilotKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #2042
dogsfoot68
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 497351
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Down Under
Default

Is there a difference in WRX springs and STi springs ?
Looking at the whiteline site they have Sub007 for STI that lower 15mm and Sub008 for WRX that lower 20mm.
Are sti struts the same or shorter than WRX? I know they are inverted mono tube but are they the direct swap for WRX?
These are clearly different springs going of the pictures.
[IMG]
[/IMG]
dogsfoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #2043
evilWagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 128739
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Read through this thread, saw mention of a 2018 thread but couldn't find it so I'm guessing it was never created;

2018 WRX Base Model, stock suspension wise on stock 17" Dunlops. Aligned, zero toe, front Camber is -1.5deg.

Like the car and it suits my DD needs well all year round (snows up here).

My only quibble after some time defining it is steering feel specifically vague initial turn in, we can't narrow the cause in the system down further than that without replacing things. I'd like to fix it with the minimal sacrifice with compliance, ride etc and wondering if anyone had done the same and could provide some feedback.

Planning to replace the stock 17" with 18" Forged RGR's and Michelin P4S in the spring. Curious what if any difference that will make on it's own.

Next I was thinking of replacing the stock dampened Wrx steering linkage with the rigid Sti one.

Finally was looking at sway bars. Was originally thinking of only replacing the rear up one size but for front end response it would likely need a front bar as well. Some of my driving (backroads, downtown) is over uneven surfaces and don't want the side to side bobble head effect any more than I need to. I won't be tracking it (building something else for that) but mostly use it for DD'ing and some fun backroad driving.

Last edited by evilWagon; 01-14-2021 at 11:01 PM.
evilWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:22 PM   #2044
gtsilver944
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 443043
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Maine
Default

PS4S are certainly not going to improve turn in feel. They're great tires but the soft sidewalls are probably their only let down.
gtsilver944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #2045
Norm Peterson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 498642
Join Date: Mar 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: our wrx IS the family sedan
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Ltd 6M dgm
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsilver944 View Post
PS4S are certainly not going to improve turn in feel. They're great tires but the soft sidewalls are probably their only let down.
Running them on wheels at least half an inch wider than "measuring width" for the tire size in question should help.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #2046
xpystchrisx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194785
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotKD View Post
I just ordered a set of the GT Works Trophy Cup coilovers for my 2017. I have only found one review of them on here, but they were highly recommended by Myles at RCE when I spoke to him via email and text a few months ago. I will post my impressions once I get them in.
Any updates? How are they?
xpystchrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:12 AM   #2047
PilotKD
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131702
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpystchrisx View Post
Any updates? How are they?
Got them in along with Whiteline LCA's, Whiteline rear toe arms, Whiteline front camber bolts and the Whiteline bump-steer kit. I will post pics and a more in-depth review after I get the car aligned on Wednesday, but long story short, they're STIFF, but I love the ride. The car feels completely different, however, my alignment is all F'd up from installing all new parts (especially rear toe), so I'm trying to drive my beater ('08 Mazdaspeed3) until I can get to the alignment shop. I forgot to take stock ride height measurements, but I will get some after measurements for you. I am planning on going 1.5 deg camber all around with 0 toe. Any objections to that plan?





Last edited by PilotKD; 01-24-2021 at 03:18 AM.
PilotKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #2048
xpystchrisx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194785
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

I'm basically going for the same setup, but I may swap out the RCE Trophy for some Flatout CS's. That looks really good. Those Whiteline toe arms look pretty stout.

As far as alignment specifications, what are you doing with the car? An alignment is a bit different between a drag car and an HPDE car.
xpystchrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #2049
PilotKD
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131702
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpystchrisx View Post
I'm basically going for the same setup, but I may swap out the RCE Trophy for some Flatout CS's. That looks really good. Those Whiteline toe arms look pretty stout.

As far as alignment specifications, what are you doing with the car? An alignment is a bit different between a drag car and an HPDE car.
Mainly street driving with an occasional autocross. No drag racing.
PilotKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #2050
xpystchrisx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194785
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotKD View Post
Mainly street driving with an occasional autocross. No drag racing.
I'd go as close to stock as you can get then. And then dial in as much camber as you can at the front wheels. Then match it or just a bit less camber at the rear. I prefer zero toe on these cars at all four corners, but I autox at least once a month.
xpystchrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.