Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > 'Old School' Subaru Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
sixtycg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382733
Default 87 GL Wagon 1.8 SOHC TBI MT Runs, then won't start. Then restarts sometimes

Hi all,

My GF has an 87 GL Wagon with the 1.8, SOHC TBI and manual trans. When she purchased the vehicle, she had some work done on it, and the plugs and plug leans were replaced. Rotor and cap are still good, and coil appears to be good. Distributor is a Crank Angle Type.

The issue is it'll start fine, idle fine, drive well, and then sometimes when you make a stop, it won't restart immediately. Sometimes it'll take a few minutes, other times it will be longer. On two occasions it just died while running, but restarted after a few. Other times it restarts fine. There doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason to it. She had it towed to her mechanic to see what the issue was, and he couldn't make a determination. I checked wiring, and restarted it, let it warm up to an idle, and it ran well. Road tested around the neighborhood for a while, stopped, restarted several times, and it was fine. Checked the trouble codes on the ECU, and I got a 31, 33, 34, 35 (all TBI related it appears) and 51 (neutral switch), even though it's a manual trans.

It gets fuel, it gets spark, at least when I check it. Am I looking at having to replace a lot of the sensors for the TBI?

Any thoughts? Anyone else have a similar problem?

Today it ran well for a couple of stops, and now is not restarting.
sixtycg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
sixtycg
Scooby Newbie

As an update, I cleared out the ECU, and then drove it a bit, and checked again, and now it's just 33, 34, 35 and 51.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Flowmastered87GL
WCSS Drunk

Member#: 8914
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Sport
Regal Blue Pearl

If no one here has any ideas (I have no clue on this one) try:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
sixtycg
Scooby Newbie

The issue now appears to be the power transistor on the coil mounting bracket (as best as I can tell).

Does anyone have any experience with these working intermittently?

The ECU appears to be working properly. The Codes 34 and 35 cleared when I replaced the two solenoid valves. The Code 33 will be cleared when I replace the speedo cable. The vehicle runs well when it starts. it's just that it's a crap shoot as to when it will and will not start.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
sixtycg
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmastered87GL View Post
If no one here has any ideas (I have no clue on this one) try:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/
Thanks for the tip on that.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Makermk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518200
Default Similar issues

I have similar issues on my 1987 gl. Were you able to figure out what was wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtycg View Post
Thanks for the tip on that.
Makermk is offline   Reply With Quote