Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-12-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
TheCurseOfCali
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377217
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
Dark Metallic Grey

Default Cobb Boost Gauge Not Reading

2014 Subaru WRX Hatchback w/Cobb Accessport (Stage 1 91nca/az/nv tune)
AP was plugged in and boost gauge was working properly before handing keys to mechanic, alongside fresh factory plug washer. Mechanic started up car and drove into work bay before the AP had a chance to boot up (I don't know if this causes an issue?).

I messed up here, by having Jiffy Lube do the service. I KNOW, I KNOW. Won't happen again. Don't need hindsight, only solutions.

They did the following work:
-Oil and Oil Filter Change (fresh factory drain plug washer supplied)
-Replaced air filter (This is where I assume the issue arises, airbox was not properly reassembled after service, MAF may have been disconnected)
-Replaced Diff Fluid
-Cabin Filter Changed

After the service was complete, I started the car and 3 lights came on: Traction Control (solid), Check Engine Light (Solid) and Cruise Control (blinking). 2 codes were up, I'm not sure exactly what they were but one said either MAF or MAP, and the other I don't remember at all. I stepped away to do a bit of searching the web for this...

I don't know if one of the mechanics erased the code before I came back, but one pointed out to another that the airbox clips had to be secured. Code was gone, but my AP boost gauge still wouldn't show anything upwards of .00. the vacuum numbers seem to be working semi properly though. Unmarried the Accessport.

I returned home, corrected the airbox, scoffed at the cheap paper air filter's crappy seal, bought a K&N with a nice rubber seal. Disconnected the battery for half hour, reinstalled the AP, same target boost max, "0.00". Unmarried AP.

Disconnected MAF briefly, cleaned connection housing with q-tip, started back up, turned off, reinstalled AP, Same 0.00, unmarried AP, made real mechanic appointment.

The car seems to be running fine and smoothly. I may be overthinking this, but it does seem the turbo is a bit slower to spool, but I have been driving around the past 2 weeks with the Cobb tune on it so that may be the issue.

If anybody can point me in the correct direction to resolving this before my appointment, saving me some coin, I'd be grateful as hell!
TheCurseOfCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
AliBenn
Scooby Guru

Member#: 487
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1998 /2005 STunIcorn
Acadia Green USDM 22b

Without having the OBD2 code
Can only guess
Think the small hose that goes to the b gauge came off/barely connected
This happened to me at an autoX CE came on too
Reconnected hose with zip tie.....reset ecu.....problem solved
The thin vacuum T connection usually in front of stock blow off valve bolted to L side of intercooler
AliBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
TheCurseOfCali
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
Dark Metallic Grey

Thank you for your response. i just checked this out and it’s on there pretty good, but i cant say if maybe there are any punctures in the line... i imagine i’d be seeing some residue or something if that was the case. I’ll still keep this in mind for the future though, thanks!
Old 04-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #4
Diavolo_
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522840

what do you mean "cobb boost gauge"? you have a mechanical boost gauge or do you mean the cobb accessport is not reading any monitor for boost?

accessport reads the ECU and using the MAP sensor factors a boost reading.
check the vacuum hoses around your boost solenoid

Last edited by Diavolo_; 04-13-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Diavolo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
TheCurseOfCali
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
Dark Metallic Grey

The “boost gauge” on the accessport. I know these things aren’t the most accurate, but the limits are at roughly -9(fluctuates) and 0.00(does not move). The live number wont go above 0.0, back pressure doesnt seem to be reading accurately while driving.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:59 PM   #6
Diavolo_
Scooby Newbie

do you think jiffy lube broke the sensor in the airbox?
you sure its plugged in properly? did they yank at the wire on the other end?

how are all the vacuum hoses at the solenoid in front of the turbo inlet?
(i think thats where they are in your car)

the accessport isnt seeing any "boost" because theres no difference between ambient pressure and pressure at the sensor.
something is open.

edit:
also never go to jiffy lube.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:48 PM   #7
Diavolo_
Scooby Newbie

do you have to reset your live parameters?
trying to research your problem i found a post from Cobb:

Quote:
Also, the MAP sensor for the 08+ WRX is external from the intake manifold and connects to it with a small section of vacuum hose. If that hose has become disconnected or torn, the MAP sensor will always read atmospheric pressure only, and the boost monitor will always show ~0. Definitely give that a check as well!
Old 04-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
TheCurseOfCali
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
Dark Metallic Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolo_ View Post
do you have to reset your live parameters?
trying to research your problem i found a post from Cobb:
I’ll be damned I think that did the trick. Mechanic didnt come back with any info other than the turbo pressure checked out just fine and he cleaned the maf sensor. I started car up, still zeros, but once i got out on the road and opened her up a bit the numbers came up. They aren’t actively changing but seems like once i hit a higher boost it jumps the number up a little more ( I’m up to about 9.45psi right now). Once traffic dies down i’m going to take her for longer drive to see if that helps. Thank you for your help gentleman***128077;***127996;***128077;***127996;