Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #1
cwoodford
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 450950
Default 2018 WRX 6MT rough idle

Hi everyone,

I'm dealing with what seems the somewhat infamous WRX weird idle. It seems while the car is warming up it will idle weird when coming to a stoplight, dipping down to sub-700 rpms, feeling like it's going to die then popping up to 1200 rpms or so and then resetting to normal idle. It also seems to occur after starting the car while it's already warm, the car's tone flutters so much it's like an old carbureted engine that needs some throttle to actually get going.

I have been doing some digging and saw the OCV was suspect in this occurence so I went ahead and ordered one. I then looked at my AP log as apparently you can see a bad OCV in the AVCS in left/right and out left/right (Specifically they don't track together). It seems based on my log the intake tracks together, but the exhaust never leaves 0. Am i on the wrong track with a OCV replacement?

Car is a 2018 WRX with 47k miles. I put a stage 1 tune on it about 1000 miles ago. I started seeing this intermittent issue before the tune, the tune seeemed to fix it for a while, then it came back.

Here's a log of the warm car right after it's started. I don't know if it is useful but it was definitely doing the weird idle right away.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

thanks in advance for any help
cwoodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
basyager
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518233
Vehicle:
2019 WRX

Why don't you get it sorted with warranty?
basyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
WrightWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494418

There could be oil in your OCV sensor connector housing. Try unplugging the intake/exhaust OCV and seeing if there’s any oil that might’ve slipped passed in there. If so, clean it out
WrightWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
X49
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 386600
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Look at your AFR after 10 seconds, when the engine transitions to closed loop fueling. It's at 19.6. It goes as low as 12.7 at times. It should be very close to a constant 14.7.

It could be a fuel system issue. Your fuel pressure seems good, but it might be an injector issue. Log Cylinder Roughness on all cylinders to see if one there is any misfire.

If it were only happening in open loop just after a start, I would suspect the MAF. If it was only in closed loop, I would suspect the O2 sensor. Since it happens in both regimes, I doubt either is to blame, but something weird could be happening with AF Correction, so I'm not sure if you should rule either out at this point.

Edit: The AVCS is disabled for a time after engine start. I don't see how an AVCS issue could be causing your issues, especially since your AVCS readings are pretty much pegged at 0.
X49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
Asm123
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 467692
Default Seafoam

Got a 2017 with 128k on it and ive noticed a periodic weird idle like youre mentioning starting around 40k. Thought it might be carbon on the intake manifolds so tried out seafoam since I didnt want to spend money on more expensive options and the weird idle cleared up. Now i do it as part of every oil change. Also noticed a decline in mpg, 27 ish when new and dropped to 22 ish after some decent mileage. Seafoam seemed to help with that as well, now sitting at 25.8 mpg.
Asm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:05 PM   #6
Mycroft_Groks
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522534
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Blue

I had an issue that was similar to this. My problem was corrosion on the MAF sensor extension that I had installed with my Cobb Big SF intake. I replaced that wire and it instantly went back to running normal.
Mycroft_Groks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:36 PM   #7
newsubylvr60
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462306
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Lapis Blue

Do you have an AOS? I had a problem recently with idle fluctuation and it turned out to be a check valve in AOS line which was causing a huge vacuum leak. I also had to replace the stock turbo inlet housing which had a huge crack in the port for the Bypass valve. My car is a 2016 WRX with a stage 2 Bren Etune.
newsubylvr60 is offline   Reply With Quote