Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-09-2021, 01:10 AM   #1
BigKuma
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 13060
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5 RSt
Silver

Default STI 08 Pull Type Clutch Fork Range of Motion check needed

I have an 08 STI JDM transmission inside my 2000 RS with a Clutch Net 2.5 RS sized clutch+plate+ACT flywheel.
Used transmission came with a stock 08 STI fork and slave cylinder.

I had this car for many years, and when I didn't drive it for a while, I would get this "sticking" of the clutch. As in, it wouldn't disengage when I pressed the clutch pedal. To remedy this, I would turn the car off, shift into 1st, then try to start it. The car would jerk a couple of times (as the starter was propelling the car forward), and then the clutch would release. Then, I could drive it normally, as in pressing the clutch pedal disconnected the input shaft from the flywheel.

I didn't really worry about it, as I had other fun issues to work on. The problem wouldn't occur unless the car sat for a couple of weeks.

Well, recently, I was driving it more often, and the issue didn't even come up for 6 months. Then, I was driving around neighborhood at medium speed and noticed I can't shift. I pulled over, and tried my "turn car off, shift into gear, use started to break the bind" trick. And it didn't work.

So, now I can't get it disengaged at all. This setup has only about 15K on it, so I would like to avoid taking everything apart, since likely changing the PP+DISK+FW is not necessary.

I am suspecting that maybe the "air gap" is wrong (maybe wrong terminology for Pull Type). In other words, the fork isn't pulling far enough to disengage the PP from the disk. I made this video from the top to show the range of fork travel after removing the boot. Can people please comment on whether it looks correct ?

My other theories are:
- Bad pilot bearing won't let go of the shaft.
- Disk is stuck on the shaft

Really tempted to spray WD40 over the shaft, but that's the last resort, as I know it will get on the FW.

Thanks!

Last edited by BigKuma; 04-10-2021 at 10:22 PM.
BigKuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links