Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday May 7, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
TF04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177261
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default Help with potential purchase?

I found a WRX I'm interested in, in Annandale, VA. I'm in Illinois. Was wondering what the best way for me to get it inspected would be before I take a 10-hour drive to pick it up.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TF04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
akritzer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 511749
Join Date: Feb 2020
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NOVA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch

Default

Mach V in sterling does pre-purchase inspections. You could ask the seller to bring it there and have them do an inspection.
akritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
Grocery_GetterWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 521777
Join Date: Jan 2021
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Blue

Default

Wouldn't it only need to be Inspected in the Registered State? So basically, once you are out of VA, it wouldnt matter anyway? Would it?

Honestly, I think you would be fine with a new purchase as long as you have Bill of Sale, Title, and whatever other Documentation. I dont think any "Normal" Law Enforcment Officer would give you too much trouble.
Grocery_GetterWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Detslider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170244
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Summit Point
Vehicle:
'16 Outback

Default

They're not looking for a place that'll do a state safety inspection. They're asking for a place that'll do a pre-purchase inspection to make sure the car isn't a lemon.

I also recommend Mach V.
When I was selling my WRX I took it there to have them do an independent pre-purchase inspection I could present to potential out of state buyers and was happy with their thoroughness.
Detslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #5
TF04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177261
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery_GetterWRX View Post
Wouldn't it only need to be Inspected in the Registered State? So basically, once you are out of VA, it wouldnt matter anyway? Would it?
From a registration standpoint - no. From the "oh, ****, this car needs 3 grand worth of repairs the seller didn't disclose" - bit of a different story.
TF04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
TF04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177261
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detslider View Post
They're not looking for a place that'll do a state safety inspection. They're asking for a place that'll do a pre-purchase inspection to make sure the car isn't a lemon.

I also recommend Mach V.
When I was selling my WRX I took it there to have them do an independent pre-purchase inspection I could present to potential out of state buyers and was happy with their thoroughness.
Thanks. I'll give them a call.
TF04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
TF04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177261
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default

Does the price of almost $500 for an inspection with an engine compression test sound reasonable to you guys? That's what Mach V quoted me: $125 for an inspection and $313 for the compression test...
TF04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:20 PM   #8
subUrbanAuthority
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 61874
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF04 View Post
Does the price of almost $500 for an inspection with an engine compression test sound reasonable to you guys? That's what Mach V quoted me: $125 for an inspection and $313 for the compression test...
If they provide you with a detailed list of all findings then thatís fine. In the end you would be able to use the information to plan your maintenance. However, I would only do this if I was sure this was a car I wanted if everything checked out. Also based on the what they find you may be able to negotiate a better price with the seller.
subUrbanAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:22 PM   #9
TF04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177261
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default

The thing that I am most concerned with, TBH, is that it's got 46K of what looks like legit miles. VIN check shows no accidents or issues with the title. What the hell was it doing from 2007 until 2015 when it was sold with 19K miles on the clock?...
TF04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #10
TF04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177261
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default

TF04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #11
Detslider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170244
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Summit Point
Vehicle:
'16 Outback

Default

Weirdly coincidental. When I said that I took my WRX to Mach V to get a pre-sale inspection in was also a 2007 WRX Wagon and also WRB. Mine was a limited trim so it's def not this car.

Can't comment on the low miles but it's not a totally unheard of number of low miles. Could be the owner kept it as a weekend hobby car. Maybe the owner knew DC area traffic sucks and primarily used the metro to get around. Maybe it was in storage while they were assigned overseas (not uncommon for DC where there is a lot of military and federal workers).
In any event there probably aren't too many other cars with lower miles.

It looks pretty clean. Are the only mods the radio and roof rail delete? If so even better that it's stock.

The fact that it's been repainted is nice since the paint from Subaru (especially on the plastic bits like the rear spoiler and hood scoop) was super thin. On the flip side it makes it harder to know the condition of the vehicle before the repaint. Can the seller provide you some pictures of the damage it sustained?

If I was looking for an '02-'07 WRX wagon this would be at the top of the list. It's going to be hard to find a car that's closer to stock and real hard to find one with low miles. I think those two points are it's biggest appeal. How important are those details to you?

$16,100 is on the high end of the market but again, there aren't many comparables so it's largely uncharted territory. You'll get a lot people saying that it's crazy high but I think most people don't realize how much the market has changed in the past few years for the GC, GD and GG chassis. Check some other sale prices for Subaru on BAT... https://bringatrailer.com/subaru/

To get back to your original question... if everything else seems legit, seller seems reputable, the inspection checks out and you're otherwise willing to pay close to the seller's asking price I would ask the seller to pay for all/part of the inspection.
Detslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #12
TF04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177261
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detslider View Post
It looks pretty clean. Are the only mods the radio and roof rail delete? If so even better that it's stock.
It has a catless downpipe which will need to be put back to stock. Also, the aftermarket pressure gauge gives me a little pause.
Quote:
The fact that it's been repainted is nice since the paint from Subaru (especially on the plastic bits like the rear spoiler and hood scoop) was super thin. On the flip side it makes it harder to know the condition of the vehicle before the repaint. Can the seller provide you some pictures of the damage it sustained?
I'll ask, but that was six years ago...

Quote:
If I was looking for an '02-'07 WRX wagon this would be at the top of the list. It's going to be hard to find a car that's closer to stock and real hard to find one with low miles. I think those two points are it's biggest appeal. How important are those details to you?
They're important. I would have been prepared for higher miles, but I'm glad it's (mostly) stock.
TF04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #13
TF04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177261
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default

Yeah, this thing gives me the most pause. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...impreza-wrx-8/

Better condition, fewer miles. Not a wagon, granted, but this was a showroom-quality car for 10% less.

In any event, I'm having my DC-based friend check it out. If he says it sounds/looks/drives legit, I'll spring for the inspection at Mach V minus the compression. But I don't see myself paying more than 12K for it, if that.
TF04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:51 PM   #14
Detslider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170244
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Summit Point
Vehicle:
'16 Outback

Default

Well there is your comparable and starting point for negotiation.

Is this the "aftermarket pressure gauge" you're talking about? If so that's stock Lamco boost gauge, it was an accessory option from Subaru.

Cattless DP and no other mods? That's odd. I'd check for indications that it was modded and put back to stock.
Detslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:06 AM   #15
TF04
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177261
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detslider View Post
Well there is your comparable and starting point for negotiation.

Is this the "aftermarket pressure gauge" you're talking about? If so that's stock Lamco boost gauge, it was an accessory option from Subaru.

Cattless DP and no other mods? That's odd. I'd check for indications that it was modded and put back to stock.
Oh, no kidding. I didn't know this was a Subaru option.

Apparently it was just "for the sound".
TF04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #16
KAT_Ayanami
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155017
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF04 View Post
Yeah, this thing gives me the most pause. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...impreza-wrx-8/

Better condition, fewer miles. Not a wagon, granted, but this was a showroom-quality car for 10% less.

In any event, I'm having my DC-based friend check it out. If he says it sounds/looks/drives legit, I'll spring for the inspection at Mach V minus the compression. But I don't see myself paying more than 12K for it, if that.

You answered your own question there with that post.

That bid closed at $14k. On BAT, which people pay crazy premiums for cars. Which means nobody would pay $16k for the wagon you listed.

I have bought cars that are 10 hours away as well. And let me tell you, unless they were a crazy good deal price wise, it never made sense for me.

You are going to spend $16k on the car.
$500 on the inspection.
Probably some money for the seller's time to take it there.
Price to drive 20 hours round trip (not only on "labor"hours, but gas and TOLLS!).


Clean hatch, but I have seen a few close to that cleanlines and around 60k miles sell for $11k to $12k on CL and FBMP.

Just my .02
KAT_Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.