Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Crosstrek Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-09-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Default Lowering the Crosstrek

In my random cruising around the net, I've found that no, an impreza suspension is not the same as a crosstrek, so swapping over will lead to failure. I came across RS-R springs from a post that appears to be the poster car for the company, but it looked like exactly what I wanted. Not garbage coilovers, not slammed, not wrong setup for a different car. So I ordered a set and the UPS guy dropped them off today.

According to RS-R (who calls them "good handling springs), it drops front and rear 1.2". The rear springs are progressive. I took the car for a ride on twisty back roads to try them out and I'm quite happy with it. Not slammed like some 16 year old's car and not a bouncy, Honda-esque chinese coilover garbage.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
iLaw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 275836
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2020 Crosstrek
Sunshine Orange

May I ask why you decided to lower the vehicle? Does your car have EyeSight? If so, did you have it recalibrated? Did you consider buying an Impreza instead? If you did, what was the factors that led you to the Crosstrek?

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be an ass.
iLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
Jack
Add Lightness

Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

I've had the Crosstrek 6MT for a couple years. Being a manual, it doesn't have eyesight. I like the 6 speed, the bigger sway bars, the completely different front suspension (it's not the same as an Impreza), the stiffer chassis, the flares the wider track and the bigger tires that all come on a Crosstrek, none of which is easily available on an Impreza. This is my 2nd Crosstrek, the first being a 13 limited that one of my son's is driving right now with 130k miles on it.

But to me, the Crosstrek is just a bit too high. I have seen slammed ones on coilovers. I'm not 16, so slammed doesn't interest me. I was also impressed that these springs actually state the rates. So many garbage springs don't, so when you test them, you aren't surprised that they don't match the target spec.

I understand the question. In my research, this is almost always the response to someone asking about lowering a Crosstrek. Lots of kits available to raise a crosstrek, which especially on a first gen Crosstrek, I really don't get. My other car is a Wrangler, raised 2.5" on 34" Dick Cepeks and properly protected with skids. I offroad that and know for sure that a Crosstrek has no business offroading where my Wrangler goes.

So there's my thoughts on it.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
iLaw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 275836
Vehicle:
2020 Crosstrek
Sunshine Orange

That's cool, man. I have nothing against people making their car their own; especially if its functional. Its irrelevant whether or not its "on trend", they car is yours and you have every right to take pleasure in making it so.

I learned something today. I didn't know the sway bars on the Crosstrek were thicker, so thanks for that knowledge.

The drop looks good back to your car, the drop looks good. I bet the cornering and overall handling has improved a lot with the lower centre of gravity.

Cheers
iLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
Jack
Add Lightness

Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

The handling is transformed. I did not expect this. I'm driving the long way through narrow twisty roads just to experience this.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Jack
Add Lightness

Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Old 04-18-2021, 11:45 PM   #7
Maldedo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523779
Vehicle:
2014 Subaru
White

Thank you for sharing pictures,

I want to do the exact same mod on mine and could only ever find the one picture from their website.

Now I know for sure that's what I want!

I think most people wouldn't even notice that this crosstrek has been dropped, it keeps the natural look of the car.
Maldedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
Jack
Add Lightness

Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

I was looking for shocks on Tire Rack and noticed they have some H&R springs that lower 1.4 inches. Similar price to the RS-R's that I got. 0.2" lower, though. Just an FYI.