Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
GeoNV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518830
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
dark grey metallic

Default Starting an EJ255 motor build for 2009 WRX

Hey all, I've acquires a 2009 WRX with no transmission or engine or exhaust. Long story short I then bought an EJ255 block and some D25 heads as well as a stock intake for it among other things.

I've built 9 motors before now ranging from Chevy big blocks to toyota 4 bangers and have decided to build this engine myself. I tore down the block and didn't see any major issues- It's at a machine shop now getting hot tanked and then they are going to measure it. When I measaured it myself I saw a bit more cylinder taper than I wanted, but I'm curious what the shop's measurements come back as. Based on that I'll decide next steps there.

My plan is to put some Manley pistons and eagle rods in it and reuse the stock crank.

I'm planning to use the stock headers with an aftermarket up pipe and either an 18g or 20g turbo with a custom catted turboback exhaust.

Planning to get some ID 1050's and do a FMIC.

Not really any questions yet, I've been trolling the board for years and have been reading all the FAQ's I can find. Appreciate everything that people have contributed here over the years.

*edit* I plan to daily drive it, autocross and some drag strip use. I bought a 2011 WRX 5 speed which I'm currently going through. I know it's not the ideal trans and I'll eventually frag it, but I'll cross that bridge when it happens. I'm aiming for about 350 whp and want the ability to go up from there if I get bored.
GeoNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
BuiltWRXFL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518888

1050s and FMIC with a blouch is fully capable of more than 350 we have a car like that doing 395whp on 93 on a mustang dyno

Consider a blast plate for the trans that should help it hold more than 300 torque
BuiltWRXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
GeoNV
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX
dark grey metallic

Thanks! I figured i could start a bit detuned and move up from there as I got bored! I’ve been debating whether the blast plates were worth it, I’ve read some stuff saying the case doesn’t flex much and other people say it does. What’s your experience?
Old 10-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
saaiello21
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501997
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNV View Post
Thanks! I figured i could start a bit detuned and move up from there as I got bored! I’ve been debating whether the blast plates were worth it, I’ve read some stuff saying the case doesn’t flex much and other people say it does. What’s your experience?
I did a good bit of research on those when I did my build last year and came to the conclusion that they are not much help. It will add some rigidity to the case, but will it help it from tearing third gear up? maybe. I would just save for 6speed and limit your tuning to under 400 to be safe until you can swap it. I am running 390 to the wheels 10,000 miles now and Trans is holding up fine.
saaiello21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
Dreed_ruu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518500

So I was wondering can you use wrx intake manifolds on sti heads
Dreed_ruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
GeoNV
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX
dark grey metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaiello21 View Post
I did a good bit of research on those when I did my build last year and came to the conclusion that they are not much help. It will add some rigidity to the case, but will it help it from tearing third gear up? maybe. I would just save for 6speed and limit your tuning to under 400 to be safe until you can swap it. I am running 390 to the wheels 10,000 miles now and Trans is holding up fine.

That's good to know. I've heard rumor but can't find confirmation that the 2008-2014 5mt is stronger than the previous WRX trans as it's derived from the legacy GT style gears. Good to hear you are putting some real power down through it!