Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
Kamen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49217
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
0210 Impreza WRX
Silver

Question Programming TPMS on a 2010 WRX

I did some searching here but I don't believe I've seen a definitive answer to this question, or anything new for older Subarus. I have a bad TPMS sensor on my 2010 WRX (expecting all remaining ones to go bad soon), and I also often swap wheels between my other Subies (winter tires, and so on), so I'd like to outfit my wheel sets with sensors that I can reprogram myself. Are there TPMS valves that I can buy and set their IDs so that they are the same, and is there a tool that I could use to cause the car to accept those TPMS sensors? Or some way to put the car into programming mode without a special tool? Any established working solution for this that doesn't involve spending hundreds of dollars?

When I look for wheel/tire packages on TireRack they suggest a $45 activation tool but I think the ECU of my car needs to be put in programing mode with a special tool, so I don't think their idea is right. Any authoritative answers to this dilemma? Thanks!

Kamen

Last edited by Kamen; 04-22-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
NightRider54
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524646
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Metallic Blue

Question

I drive a 2019 WRX base.
Recently I have to change only one TPMS sensor on the Real Left wheel.
It's an aftermarket one, and I did not made the job by myself.
After driving a few miles the TPMS warning came up on the middle screen and the symbol blinked several times till it becomes solid lit. Checked pressure and was 3psi above recommended. So I assume this particular sensor must be readressed again.
My Question:
How to turn Learning Mode on my car to readress this TPMS?
Already tried to turn ignition on "ON" position, look for a TPMS button behind glove box, and by the menu when using buttons beneath steering wheel.... Nothing...
I need some help on this particular issue to do it by myself. Also I tried the VXDAS Relearn tool.
I appreciate your feedback
Thank You.
NightRider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
Kamen
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
0210 Impreza WRX
Silver

So, I have purchased the Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 tool with a set of 8 MX sensors ($320 from the TireRack for the whole set). As of now, I have programmed those two new sets of sensors without any issues. So, what the TS508 tool can do on older Subarus is:

1) Read the ID of TPMS stored in the ECU (so far confirmed on a 2010 WRX and a 2012 Outback)
2) Program Autel MX universal sensors (315MHz and 433MHz)
3) Read and clear TPMS-associated DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) in the car ECU.

There is a designation of sensors for location (e.g., left front, rear right, etc.), but the car doesn't seem to care where the wheel is located, so rotation will not require reprograming. The tool is firmware-udpateable and it has much richer functionality on other cars (maybe newer Subarus, but definitely other brands). But its limitations are that it can only program Autel TPMS. Which is fine by me since those are excellent and quite cheap.

I hope this information helps.

Kamen

Last edited by Kamen; 10-19-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
dmk0210
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 284114
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Is there a solution that can work with OEM sensors?
dmk0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
Kamen
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
0210 Impreza WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk0210 View Post
If you mean a non-OEM, aftermarket solution - not that I know of. And, frankly, I don't think OEM TPMS can be programmed at all - I think they come with fixed, read-only IDs and what you program (with the Subaru Select Monitor) is the data in the ECU. In other words, when you replace the wheels/tires/sensors, you just change the stored IDs in the ECU to match. This is why this aftermarket solution is more flexible and, thus - better. Given that the battery in the TPMS can only last about 10 years, replacing the OEM TPMS is generally a good idea.

Kamen
Old 10-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #6
RealBACONATOR2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520025
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk0210 View Post

So yes, that Autel TS508 can do it. Basically if you change wheels (like for winter) you have to tell the car's ECU what the IDs of the wheel TPMS sensors are. With that TS508 you read the number on each wheel, plug into your OBD-II port, and tell the car what the wheels are. Then it'll recognize the wheels.

That device also tells you if the battery is dead in any of your TPMS sensors. So that would be why, if you had stock wheels, the TPMS would stop working
RealBACONATOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
Kamen
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
0210 Impreza WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealBACONATOR2 View Post
So yes, that Autel TS508 can do it. Basically if you change wheels (like for winter) you have to tell the car's ECU what the IDs of the wheel TPMS sensors are. With that TS508 you read the number on each wheel, plug into your OBD-II port, and tell the car what the wheels are. Then it'll recognize the wheels.

That device also tells you if the battery is dead in any of your TPMS sensors. So that would be why, if you had stock wheels, the TPMS would stop working
The TS508 has no such capability, at least for older Subarus, like my 2010 WRX. I have not seen any menu that would allow you to do that. If you believe the contrary, please let me know in what menu that functionality would be found so I could try it.

Kamen