Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Metzenw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 351532
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
96 Impreza Coupe
Blue

Default EJ20G Compression Test

I bought a 96 Impreza a few months ago with an EJ20G swap.

I got the car running well and bought everything for a Robtune. (Injectors, EBC, Coil Conversion.. ETC.)

So found out the engine couldn't hold the extra boost and lost number 4 cylinder.

Engine ran amazing before.

I did a compression test and i get Zero. Nothing.
I checked number 2 next to it and i get 120 PSI.

I did a leakdown test and I get better then 10% leakage.

Any idea how you can get Zero compression and yet pass a leakdown test with flying colors?

I hear a little air coming out the Oil fill, but nothing out of the Coolant, Intake or Exhaust.

Could I have a broken valve spring? and the pressure in the cylinder from the leakdown is keeping the valve close making it show good?

Either way the engine has to come out, cause I'm not pulling a head in the car.

I get this post is kind of redundant as I'll get the problem solved. I just figured i'd share this really weird situation.
Metzenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
dfj240
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 450300
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2022 Forester W'ness

I've seen that on a couple engines before. Both times it was valve related.

As you stated, you'll need to pull the head out and have a good look around, but my instinct would be that your bottom end is fine, and you may need a new valve or two and accompaniments. Seems that you're on the right path. Keep heading that way and let us know what you find.
dfj240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Metzenw
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
96 Impreza Coupe
Blue

https://i.imgur.com/ZiGsdll.jpg

Well, found the problem. Destroyed the head. I'm currently looking into a set of K heads.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzenw View Post
https://i.imgur.com/ZiGsdll.jpg

Well, found the problem. Destroyed the head. I'm currently looking into a set of K heads.
Ouch.........

That would do it, not a common issue on almost ANY engine, but yes, that would do it.
Good luck on the repairs. Glad it didn't wipe out more than we know of.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
dfj240
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 450300
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2022 Forester W'ness

I see no problem here... You just got the rare production, half-slanted camshaft model.

Seriously though, that's pretty wild. Good luck on the K head search. Might start looking into some other frankenstein head options as well. 205 heads or STI heads possibly?

Anyway, good luck.
dfj240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Metzenw
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
96 Impreza Coupe
Blue

Well, got my car running last night.
A friend of mine had a set of K heads. I adjusted the valve lash on the heads. Shim Under Bucket. Used a surface grinder to adjust the thickness.

The engine turns out has Cosworth pistons from an EJ205 installed. Unlike the EJ20G Pistons which are said to protrude above the block deck by .020ish" the EJ205's sit about .005" below. So I reassembled the engine with EJ205 headgaskets. This brought the heads in closer and the EJ20G manifold wouldn't bolt up. So I drilled the holes in the manifold out by .020" from 9mm (.354") to .375 to get the manifold to line up.

The Timing belt tensioner is Almost at the max stroke, and the cam timing didn't line up perfectly. But the engine fired right up.

Everything runs great, has more lower end power then the G heads. I threw a Tomei Equal length manifold on. Really changes the exhaust. When the snow clears I'll do a video of the exhaust sound between my 05 WRX and this car. Which both have the exact same exhaust.

This will be my last plunge with Phase 1, stuff is getting too hard to source. Phase 2 stuff is Everywhere.