Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-16-2022, 12:29 AM   #1
curtily
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 532153
Default Need help chasing down a noise!

I've been dealing with this clutch related rattling noise for the past year. Car in question is a 2019 VA WRX with 26,000 miles. It's well cared for, never beat on. Anyways, here's some info regarding the issue.
  • Happens in low gear, pushing the clutch down to the floor quickly. Very apparent when in a parking lot, trying to reverse into a small space, in 1-2 traffic, etc.
  • Happens when shifting from 1-2.
  • Does not happen when car is out of gear. Only when rolling in gear and putting the clutch pedal to the floor quickly.
  • Does not happen when clutch pedal is pressed slowly.
  • Does not matter if the car is warmed up or not.

I read elsewhere that this is a transmission mount issue; the stock rubber transmission mount can cause the transmission to oscillate. I ran a Group N transmission mount in hopes of eliminating the noise, but to no avail.

Here's a video I took, you may have to turn the volume up a bit.

https://youtube.com/shorts/mHzwUPEWmIQ?feature=share

Any and all information is helpful. Thank you!

Last edited by curtily; 11-16-2022 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Wording
curtily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2022, 10:05 PM   #2
fullah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 233053

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtily View Post
I've been dealing with this clutch related rattling noise for the past year. Car in question is a 2019 VA WRX with 26,000 miles. It's well cared for, never beat on. Anyways, here's some info regarding the issue.
  • Happens in low gear, pushing the clutch down to the floor quickly. Very apparent when in a parking lot, trying to reverse into a small space, in 1-2 traffic, etc.
  • Happens when shifting from 1-2.
  • Does not happen when car is out of gear. Only when rolling in gear and putting the clutch pedal to the floor quickly.
  • Does not happen when clutch pedal is pressed slowly.
  • Does not matter if the car is warmed up or not.

I read elsewhere that this is a transmission mount issue; the stock rubber transmission mount can cause the transmission to oscillate. I ran a Group N transmission mount in hopes of eliminating the noise, but to no avail.

Here's a video I took, you may have to turn the volume up a bit.

https://youtube.com/shorts/mHzwUPEWmIQ?feature=share

Any and all information is helpful. Thank you!

Your video sound doesn't come thru well on my laptop so I'll have to watch it with headphones later. Your description though sounds very similar to what I am hearing on my 2018 6 speed WRX. Definitely a rattle at lower speeds, quickly clutching in. The other thing I noticed is a thud when there is torque first applied, it feels like it's forward of the me. Maybe something in the axles or maybe the output shaft having play. Once the initial torque is taken up by the drivetrain I don't hear the thud anymore.

I don't think it's transmission mount related--I did the same thing as you and put in a group n mount. After it was still there, I did the group n engine mounts, then poly pitch stop mount. I literally have every single drivetrain mounting point upgraded and the noise is still there.

The other thing I was thinking it can be rattling are the clutch springs.

Here's the thread I posted with some videos as well

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2938804
fullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:35 AM   #3
curtily
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullah View Post
Your video sound doesn't come thru well on my laptop so I'll have to watch it with headphones later. Your description though sounds very similar to what I am hearing on my 2018 6 speed WRX. Definitely a rattle at lower speeds, quickly clutching in. The other thing I noticed is a thud when there is torque first applied, it feels like it's forward of the me. Maybe something in the axles or maybe the output shaft having play. Once the initial torque is taken up by the drivetrain I don't hear the thud anymore.

I don't think it's transmission mount related--I did the same thing as you and put in a group n mount. After it was still there, I did the group n engine mounts, then poly pitch stop mount. I literally have every single drivetrain mounting point upgraded and the noise is still there.

The other thing I was thinking it can be rattling are the clutch springs.

Here's the thread I posted with some videos as well

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2938804
Late response, my bad.
I watched clutch fork video on your thread and I'm going to say it's safe to assume that's what's causing the noise. (Play at the pivot ball?)
I've been dealing with this for more than a year. It's more of a burden at this point, it hasn't given me any problems.
I've only been able to find two other people that have experienced this problem and they all just let it go. Never took it to a shop, never dropped the transmission. Both had been dealing with it for years with no issues.
Myself on the other hand, I'm not going to let this one go. I will be taking it to my local shop in the coming days to get a real diagnosis. They specialize in Subarus so I have confidence in them. It will most likely either be the clutch fork or a bad release bearing. Will keep you posted.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:02 PM   #4
fullah
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Late response, my bad.
I watched clutch fork video on your thread and I'm going to say it's safe to assume that's what's causing the noise. (Play at the pivot ball?)
I've been dealing with this for more than a year. It's more of a burden at this point, it hasn't given me any problems.
I've only been able to find two other people that have experienced this problem and they all just let it go. Never took it to a shop, never dropped the transmission. Both had been dealing with it for years with no issues.
Myself on the other hand, I'm not going to let this one go. I will be taking it to my local shop in the coming days to get a real diagnosis. They specialize in Subarus so I have confidence in them. It will most likely either be the clutch fork or a bad release bearing. Will keep you posted.
There is a TSB for the clutch forks being thin and breaking on the older pre 2018 models I believe. Supposedly in 2018 they redesigned it and used a different flywheel as well. My car drives perfectly fine and doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping or anything. The symptoms are more prevalent at slower speeds/trying to drive it like a granny. I find if my RPM drops below 3000 rpm, no matter how smooth I am with letting the clutch out, it's a really harsh engagement.

After going to the dealer multiple times and being told it "normal" I just gave up. They told me (with the car in the air) that the noise will be present because there is no "load" on the drivetrain (which makes sense). When I asked and showed them that it also makes the same sound with the car loaded on the ground, they just dismissed me because they couldn't really explain it lol. The issue seems to be very very rare as you noted. I started hearing my noises around 6k miles. I'm currently around 30k. Eventually I will pull the clutch and I'll find out what happened lol but yes, please let me know how it goes.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:02 PM   #5
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3687
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Subaru choosing to go back to this push clutch is causing the same problems and more. Forks cracking/breaking/pivot ball pushing through, throwout bearing making noises and exploding causing bellhousing snout damage and wear.

There are a few fixes. You can get the snout repair kit and it comes with maybe a better throwout bearing design. Then the snout is a nice sleeve that doesn't wear out like the aluminum housing. Finally you can get the cast steel forks or billet ones that a few companies make out there. You'll have more piece of mind with this keeping your WRX 6spd. The more problem free solution in my opinion is swapping in the STI 6spd. It has a more reliable clutch system. You also get all the benefits of the STI trans.
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:12 PM   #6
curtily
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullah View Post
There is a TSB for the clutch forks being thin and breaking on the older pre 2018 models I believe. Supposedly in 2018 they redesigned it and used a different flywheel as well. My car drives perfectly fine and doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping or anything. The symptoms are more prevalent at slower speeds/trying to drive it like a granny. I find if my RPM drops below 3000 rpm, no matter how smooth I am with letting the clutch out, it's a really harsh engagement.

After going to the dealer multiple times and being told it "normal" I just gave up. They told me (with the car in the air) that the noise will be present because there is no "load" on the drivetrain (which makes sense). When I asked and showed them that it also makes the same sound with the car loaded on the ground, they just dismissed me because they couldn't really explain it lol. The issue seems to be very very rare as you noted. I started hearing my noises around 6k miles. I'm currently around 30k. Eventually I will pull the clutch and I'll find out what happened lol but yes, please let me know how it goes.
Little bit of an update. I had my local Subaru shop replace the:
Throwout bearing
Pilot bearing
Clutch fork
Pivot ball

Also had them install a group N transmission mount, as well as some upgraded bushings.
As of now, the noise is completely gone. Clutch feels like it belongs in a car with 5 miles on the clock. Can't be happier.
Was pretty expensive due to the labor, but I don't feel confident in dropping a transmission quite yet. Would rather let the pros handle it. So far it's been very worth it.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #7
fullah
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Little bit of an update. I had my local Subaru shop replace the:
Throwout bearing
Pilot bearing
Clutch fork
Pivot ball

Also had them install a group N transmission mount, as well as some upgraded bushings.
As of now, the noise is completely gone. Clutch feels like it belongs in a car with 5 miles on the clock. Can't be happier.
Was pretty expensive due to the labor, but I don't feel confident in dropping a transmission quite yet. Would rather let the pros handle it. So far it's been very worth it.
What did that cost if you don't mind me asking? Were they able to tell exactly what happened? Was the clutch damaged? Fork broken?