Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
nthran6515
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523838
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5rs
Obsidian black

Default 2005 USDM EJ253 to JDM EJ253

I have swapped over to a jdm ej after my original blew to head gaskets.

I have used the original intake manifold harness, throttle body, crank gear, crank sensor, cam sensor, knock sensor and some other things I can’t remember but weren’t sensors or electrical.

The differences I noticed right away with the intake manifold is the pipe that goes to the head on the usdm one isn’t there on the jdm one. I have found that this is because the jdm one has that thing internally? I don’t know the name of it. I have left it just plugged into the harness and hanging there for now. Aside from that major difference everything else seemed cut and dry.

I have tried to check for all grounds being connected and found the ground to the starter wasn’t connected and the jdm engine came with head ground straps that had been cut. So I made some grounds to the frame where grounds already were for accessory stuff.

My starter is also good or at least that’s what the autozone guy told me (I pulled it and had them test it)

I have also checked that the fuel lines are good and routed correctly and they seem to be.

The only thing that I haven’t checked is the inhibitor switch because I really don’t know how to.

I’m running out of options it seems but I am a newbie when it comes to electrical.
nthran6515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2021, 06:35 AM   #2
kriswidthak
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523844

Was you able to get the car running? I have a 2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i & I blew a rod & I bought a jdm motor & doing the swap & mines still doesn’t start
kriswidthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #3
kriswidthak
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523844

& unfortunately my mechanic wasn’t a Subaru guy & just basically dropped the jdm engine in it & didn’t swap anything over smh
kriswidthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
nthran6515
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523838
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5rs
Obsidian black

I put more ground straps on and found out that my tired ass forgot to swap the coolant pipe under the intake to the usdm one so the sensor is facing backwards (it won’t connect to the jdm one, too short) and it fired right up. Gotta get my tuning buddy over to get it running good.
nthran6515 is offline   Reply With Quote