Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Dealership Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #51
blatant
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 108951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singsub View Post
Hi Blatant and other Subaru fans!
My name is Aaron Singer and I'm the owner of Singer Subaru! I really don't remember talking to you, but I should probably defend myself and my dealership!!!! By the way, anyone wishing to talk with me directly, feel free to stop by or call: 603-382-7101. I'm EXTREMELY PROUD of our staff and our accomplishments at Singer Subaru---PARTICULARLY in the area of CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!!! We all try as hard as we can to be real people talking with customers and exude no attitudes or atmosphere of pressure. If you feel that you experienced that in MY DEALERSHIP, then I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE!!!! That being said, you can't imagine how hard it is to be an auto dealer when the occasional "wise guy" wants to prove how smart or informed he is! Obviously, most customers are nice and are not like that, but when one of those comes in, I'd challenge ANYBODY to walk away with a cool head. In the past year, I personally have had 3 or 4 of those experiences---not bad considering that we see approximately 300 to 500 SALES customers per month and I TRY to meet or talk to as many as I can!!! I hope that you were not one of them, but that we just had a "misunderstanding!" The other difficult position we find ourselves in is when a customer has been "low-balled" by another dealer, or they actually decide to "low-ball" us themselves in order to get what they think must be the availability of a DRAMATICALLY lower price. This is easily the HARDEST CONVERSATION we ever have in auto sales. Over my 25 year career, most of my "spirited disagreements"---(of which I've had VERY FEW!) have been the result of this negotiation technique. I train my entire staff to take the "it's cool, man" approach and not let any aggressive people get to us, and overall we do MUCH BETTER than most dealerships, but, alas, we are all ONLY HUMAN, and can let it get to us occasionally!!!!
More about SINGER SUBARU:
Since I bought the dealership almost 3 years ago, We have maintained ONE OF THE HIGHEST CSI SCORES for SUBARU DEALERSHIPS in NEW ENGLAND--in BOTH SALES AND SERVICE!!!! Subaru of America keeps a VERY CLOSE EYE on this, and we have WON THE STELLAR PERFORMER AWARD in BOTH 2004 and 2005 and have it "in the bag" for 2006!!!! As a reality check, ONLY 13 OF THE 65 SUBARU dealerships in NEW ENGLAND won this award last year and WE WERE ONE!!! (Unfortunately, the other Subaru Dealership you mentioned wasn't and isn't (as of today) ANYWHERE CLOSE!!!!!
We also won the Subaru of New England PRESIDENT'S CLUB Award in 2005 for sales EXCELLENCE!!!! If you've been inside the dealership, undoubtedly you've seen some of the awards, plaques and telegrams that Subaru has sent us!!!! We also have DOZENS AND DOZENS of Customer letters and testimonials!!!!
Having read some other "threads," I'd like to point out that I have FREQUENTLY gone to bat for my good customers and gotten "gray area" warranty claims handled. This is something that only a handful of dealers even ATTEMPT, but I am VERY GOOD at this!!! That being said, I can't get blatantly bad claims through, and certainly one of the most difficult situations in SUBARU WORLD (all over the country) is the damage to what otherwise would have been warranty parts as caused by AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS!!! (particulary to WRX's and STI's!) I'm bringing this up, because we at SINGER SUBARU are very proud of our record of helping customers determine the difference between acceptable mod's and those that run the risk of VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY! If you or any of your fellow NASIOC members would like help with this, we would be HAPPY TO HELP!!! The key to getting the manufacturer (any manufacturer) to pay "gray area" warranty claims is to have complete service records (preferably done at the selling dealer) and have only acceptable mods on your car. You would truly be SHOCKED if you knew what I could get done with this in hand!!!!
Sorry for rambling so much, but I'm obviously VERY PROUD of SINGER SUBARU!!!!!
I can't imagine what could have happened when you came in to buy FLOOR MATS?!?!?!?!? I'd really like to know, but I guarantee to you and all those reading this that SINGER SUBARU has one of the friendliest CUSTOMER ENVIRONMENTS on the PLANET!!!! If ANYONE has HARD EVIDENCE to the CONTRARY, then I PLEDGE TO CHANGE THE PROBLEM NOW!!!!!!
Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Thank you for the privilege of talking in this forum.

Sincerely,
Aaron M. Singer
Owner
Singer Subaru
Plaistow, NH

bump......yep, still here. Bumping this for the effort. Please be informed everyone. An informed buyer is a smart buyer. Be informed, dyodd, and choose wisely.

Sad to say really, that this thread hasn't died. Evidently they haven't figured it out.

Hello fall 2010...
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #52
kc1ih
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 188155
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2008 Imp 2.5i Wagon
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by american car man View Post
didn't you ask first what it would cost? do u think they could of offerd you better platinum plugs. not even sure why you would even need to change plugs on a car a year old, normally plugs will last 50,000 miles (platinum)
so it took them over an hour to install plugs??? most engines can be removed in that time...
Actually next time when I changed the plugs myself I discovered that they were actually platinum plugs, so the markup is not actually as bad as I first said. But labor is still high IMO.

The real rip off is the cabin air filter, they want to charge $90 for a filter they charge $45 for in the parts dept but you can get online for $33 or so. And the “labor” is only a few minutes to pull out old one and put in new one. Besides I see no reason they can’t just clean the old filter and put it back in, just blow some air thru it in reverse direction.

Online research shows their parts prices to often be above MSRP.
kc1ih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #53
SSAF
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)

Member#: 301923
Vehicle:
2002 02&09 WRX wagon
PSM & WRB

Thumbs down

--deleted--

Last edited by SSAF; 11-30-2011 at 06:07 PM.
SSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #54
WRXN
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 313283
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Silver

I bought my car from here and I will tell you they are not good at all. I was in a tight spot at the time right before I deployed to Afganistan and they took advantage of me. They wont work with you at all and offer the worst financing through them. The only good thing I got from them was they gave me a good price on my trade in. Also they dont know a thing about the product they are selling, and their lot doesnt offer much.
WRXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #55
SSAF
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 02&09 WRX wagon
PSM & WRB

I thought my situation was a fluke, but judging by this thread I guess it isn't. I took my car there a quite a few months ago for a recall and they did really shoddy work. I had to delete my previous post because I had to bring my car back there because of a dispute. They beat my once clean engine bay to hell, and all of the hoses in the engine bay were unharnessed. They also created an intake leak and somehow cracked my uppipe. They refused to believe anything was wrong, and around 20 miles after I pulled out of the dealership the car threw its first CEL I have ever gotten. When I read the CEL, the code was exactly related to someone who would have a leak in the intake and/or uppipe. I would have rather paid someone else to do the recall than let these people do any work for free. It would have overall been cheaper too. I have dealt with teenagers who charge a tenth as much as these people do, and do ten times better work.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #56
25rsti
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (130)

Member#: 166324

That sucks to hear but isn't surprising at all.

I only go there for parts. The parts manager, Dave is awesome.

Hope everything turns out ok for you.
25rsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #57
SSAF
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 02&09 WRX wagon
PSM & WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25rsti View Post
That sucks to hear but isn't surprising at all.

I only go there for parts. The parts manager, Dave is awesome.

Hope everything turns out ok for you.

100% Agreed. This place would be better off if it was "Dave's Genuine Subaru parts" and nothing else. It is a shame because I went there exclusively for Dave and really loved the customer service he gave, but then I made the mistake of getting mechanical service there.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #58
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Yes, it is very sad. Too bad I didn't win the megamillions. I'd open up a Subaru dealership and have him run it all.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #59
jbamford41
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330132
Vehicle:
2012 impreza prem
cherry pearl

Default terrible sales team

My wife and i recently bought a 12 impreza prem 2.0i cvt. My wife and mother in law went there looking for the model that we test drove at Exeter, figured we would try singer where we live close by and heard good things about parts and service. However, Lou in sales was by far the worst sales person she has ever dealt with. exteremely rude and condescending towards female customers. Spoke to them like morons and very pushy about how things cost. Told both my wife and mother in law (both have masters degrees) while trying to go over the monthly payments that "he couldn't reinvent math, Honey". We were much happier buying the car at North Reading Subaru. I would gladly drive the 45 min to not deal with someone who is 5 min away. Aaron, from all I hear from fellow Subie owners in the area, get some control of your sales staff.

Last edited by jbamford41; 08-27-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: mis typed
jbamford41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #60
Iluminus
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (13)

Member#: 2378
Vehicle:
2021 WRX
Pure Red

Default Actually...

I've bought 2 cars from them over the past 7 years and have had extremely pleasant experiences. If/when Subaru releases the 296hp turbo Legacy in the US, I'll buy another one there, they've earned my loyalty. Personally, I've always dealt with Vasiliy. He's been there since we bought an Impreza in 2006 and we worked out a great deal.

So, after thoroughly reading through this thread, I've come to a few conclusions: 1) people don't like to understand that car dealerships are businesses, 2) the Pareto Principle is clearly demonstrated here and 3) everyone deserves a second chance.

Its been mentioned multiple times in this thread that people have done their homework. That's great! Fantastic! Be as informed as you possibly can as it can only work in your favor; but, if you bought a car for 20k and turned around to sell it, would you expect a profit or could you expect to break even? Now, imagine you had 30 cars and every one of your customers knew exactly how much you paid for it, do you think you're going to make a profit? Do you think you'll break even?

So, you're probably thinking a couple things here, something along the lines of how do dealerships make a profit from taking deals that undercut other dealership sales or if you should even care about it? Well, if you don't care about it and don't understand it, you can keep banging your head against the wall and hope that a dealership will be nice enough to take the deal that you're offering. It happens, and they might even smile at you and treat you well, but they won't like that sale. Its actually possible that you might not see that sales person in that building a year later, but more often than not, if they accept your lowball offer or less-than-agreeable negotiation, its because they know the car will be back in their garage for some sorta repairs later, the dealership is getting incentives for the sale from the manufacturer, that they're getting more than you realize from the trade-in, that they are getting a lot of satisfaction from taking a sale from a more successful dealership... or some other reason that I can't think of. New car sales net incentives from the manufacturer. Dealerships rarely make any profit off new cars. Even if they sell at under invoice, they can usually make it back in incentives, but its not something that will keep your business afloat. (NOTE: this doesn't apply to, say, Lincoln dealerships or stuff like that. I've spoken with a Dodge sales rep and they said that the markup was redonkulous on the cars in his lot. This was back in the early 2000s, though, when the Internet wasn't quite as informative)

Profits keep businesses open, and from my personal experiences and from the people I've spoken to, Singer Subaru does very well and has a very strong customer base. This is why I'm stating that the Pareto Principle is apparent here. Since I've moved to the 'burbs of Boston, I see Subaru owners all the time and sometimes talk to them (not in a creepy, so-hows-your-car-can-I-get-in-the-backseat kinda creepy), especially if they're sporting a Singer Subaru license plate holder. I've only spoken to about 3 or 4 different people about their cars, but they've all had very pleasant experiences there. Further, even in Groton, I see people with the Singer Subaru plate holder or dealership sticker all the time. I'd think that if they didn't like the deal they got, they'd get rid of the stick and/or plate holder, but I know that people are also really lazy...

Personally, I've owned Subarus for the last 14 years (look at my member number). My family has owned a bunch of Subarus. Even my brother-in-law has owned two Subarus. In that amount of time, I've negotiated/purchased or helped negotiate/purchase many cars. In total, I think 7: 2 2.5 RSes, 1 LGT, 1 WRX, 2 FXTs, 1 Legacy 2.5i and 1 Impreza 2.5i. Oh, that's 8. In that time, I've dealt with at least 8, maybe 9 different dealerships in 4 states (NJ, NY, MA and NH). Of them, I can recommend 3: Bill Kolb in Orangeburg, NY, Manchester Subaru in NH and Singer Subaru in Plaistow. Bill Kolb has a fantastic service garage and Manchester has a great sales staff. Singer has both, imho. Maybe its that I get along well with the sales staff, but I like to think that its the way I negotiate. Thing is, I'll always ask to see how much they payed for it. If they don't show me paperwork or the car's value in their computer, I walk. Try it. Its hard negotiation, but what have you got to lose? Now, if they can be honest about how much they paid (and it matches up with your research, which, in other words, they are being honest), you can negotiate extras and also the bottom line. Understand this: if the dealership isn't making money, you're probably not going to get the deal. You CAN negotiate the dollar value of how much they'll make off the deal, if your sales person is willing to do that. If they aren't, ask for a new sales person. If they don't do that for you and double the amount of care, then walk. Look at it this way, if you're willing to let a realtor take 4% on a $200k purchase, 1% or less on a $25k purchase isn't so bad.

Singer Subaru was only one of a few dealerships that would actually negotiate to that detail. If you can't negotiate, you're gonna have a bad time [insert Southpark Ski Instructor meme here], unless you like paying more than necessary for the car, that is. Go to CarMax, check their prices. They are 'low cost, haggle free'. The prices are often higher than a regular dealership because they are covering their bottom line and adding some on top for profit. Like any other store, they add a bit on top so that they don't lose any money on the sale. I like CarMax, though, because they'll sell a 6 year warranty at $3000 on any car they sell. I'm probably going to buy a used European Luxury car from them in about five years and get that warranty just for peace of mind... but I digress.

Finally, everyone deserves a second chance. Possibly even a third. If they're still not willing to deal, maybe you're missing something. Remember, in any negotiation, you want a win-win situation. Nobody likes to lose. If you're not willing to give them a bit, they probably won't budge, but if the numbers are good for both parties and they still want more, then you should walk.

Singer Subaru has always been fair to me, to my family, to my friends and to the people I've spoken to. I checked out their Yelp page and its completely positive (although with admittedly few reviews), which makes me think that the posts here are the vocal minority. I sympathize with all the people here who have had a negative experience with Singer Subaru, but this is not the norm. Singer Subaru is a fantastic dealership and, for as long as I live in New England, will always shop them first if ever I need a car.

Sorry for the long winded spew, but I needed to make sure that people reading this thread don't think that Singer Subaru roasts their customers over a spit when trying to sell a car. Its just not like that.
Iluminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #61
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Vasiliy is the man. I've been good friends with him ever since I met him (about 6/7 years ago). We bought a 2013 Legacy from him last September and everything was and went very smoothly as always with him.

Dave (the parts manager) is also great, best hands down. He's very professional and polite. Unlike someone else that works in the parts department.

I've had nothing but good experience with Singer Subaru since the beginning up until two days ago. My fiance had a tire go flat on her 2013 Legacy and had Singer replace the tire and when we got the car back the rim was all scratched up on the outer rim. It's very disappointing with a car (like all of ours) that we maintain and try to keep as clean, detailed and damage proof as possible.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #62
SSAF
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 02&09 WRX wagon
PSM & WRB

^ You probably got the same guy I did. You were lucky it was just a wheel. I really want to go back for Dave's service, but it would be a bit awkward since I made a complaint to SOA about my mechanical service there.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #63
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Just call in and speak with Dave if you want. Then when you need to go pick up whatever you order just walk straight to the Parts counter without looking around, I do it all the time.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #64
jimsphoto
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 380359
Angry Used Outback Purchase

I bought a Outback from Singer / Vasiliy Popovich last month. It has a oil leak coming from the valve covers that leaks onto the exhaust. Could cause a fire. I've been a mechanic for 40 years, but it doesn't take a genious to figure out where the oil leak is !! I live a 100 miles north of Singer Subaru, and they told me to bring it in and we'll fix it. They would supply a loaner as promised by some Schmuck named " ROCKET" . After I arrived and waited for 3 hours ROCKET and Vasiliy told me there wasn't any loaners available. They only had 45 used cars on hand !!
Obviously , these guys Flunked the "drive through window test" at McDonalds, so they became car salesman !!!
I was actually going to but another car from them because the Outback is too small for my needs and had 10K cash to upgrade, but wanted to see how they handled my car issue. They flunked miserably !!
No Morales or Integrity. I hope Mr. Singer sees this post and handles it accordingly. VERY disappointed.

Jim H.
jimsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #65
25rsti
Scooby Guru

He won't see this, I doubt he even cares. $$$$ that's all that matters.

Sorry this all happened to you, I'd be pissed myself.

Last edited by 25rsti; 01-31-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #66
blatant
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 108951

So, what's the latest on this joint?

Just curious. Going on a decade and 1/2...a long time. Lots of things change...lots.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote