Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-30-2021, 03:15 PM   #26
gtlyearsley
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501308
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2020 STI
741awhp (Mikeytuned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post
Okay, I thought that might have been a mistake. Appreciate it.

I'm just now starting to get in the swing of learning the exact differences between the different STi models, options and whatnot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
My base 2020 came with hands free entry and push button start...not sure that's new..
And the wheels have the machined finish as apposed to prior years
gtlyearsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2021, 05:31 PM   #27
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Quote:
I'm considering trading from my current base '15 WRX to a new STi. I actually think I finally want to make the change before the 2022's come out.

I'm trying to figure out the differences between the 2020 and 2021 STi.

What are the differences? (I'm personally interested in the base STi with Recaro seats)

Only thing I've seen so far in my limited research is Car and Driver mentioned this:. "The 2021 WRX STI carries over with almost no changes. The base model does now come standard with passive hands-free entry and push-button start.". But I'm not sure that's the case.

Appreciate any feedback or direction to another thread...thx.
If you have not driven back to back an STi with Recaros and one with standard seats, do so before plunking down an extra $2200. My son and I did exactly that, then he ordered the base with the standard seats. You might think they're worth the extra money. Just be informed, please.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:53 AM   #28
mphfrom77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 406984
Vehicle:
2015 WRX base w/STS
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
If you have not driven back to back an STi with Recaros and one with standard seats, do so before plunking down an extra $2200. My son and I did exactly that, then he ordered the base with the standard seats. You might think they're worth the extra money. Just be informed, please.
I actually purchased one yesterday...came with the Recaros.

My mind was already made up because I wanted power seats. If I could have gotten power seats on the base seats, then I would have been fine with the base seats I'm sure.

Having driven my base '15 WRX (that I traded in yesterday) with manual seats for he last 6 years I just eventually came to the conclusion that I couldn't maneuver the seat to suit me enough.

Weird...I'm constantly changing my seating position...not sure why. Small little adjustments.

I'm actually really happy I got power seats again now. Wasn't happy that my '15 WRX couldn't get powers seats unless I stepped up to different packages. I'm at least glad I didn't have to get a sunroof just because I wanted power seats this time around.
mphfrom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #29
gtlyearsley
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501308
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2020 STI
741awhp (Mikeytuned)

Quote:

My mind was already made up because I wanted power seats. If I could have gotten power seats on the base seats, then I would have been fine with the base seats I'm sure.

Having driven my base '15 WRX (that I traded in yesterday) with manual seats for he last 6 years I just eventually came to the conclusion that I couldn't maneuver the seat to suit me enough.

Weird...I'm constantly changing my seating position...not sure why. Small little adjustments.

I'm actually really happy I got power seats again now. Wasn't happy that my '15 WRX couldn't get powers seats unless I stepped up to different packages. I'm at least glad I didn't have to get a sunroof just because I wanted power seats this time around.
What color did you get? I love my Recaros! If you have the money then who cares what anyone else thinks.
gtlyearsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #30
mphfrom77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 406984
Vehicle:
2015 WRX base w/STS
Silver

I'm usually a Silver guy...but I went with the Magnetite Gray this time.
mphfrom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:58 PM   #31
S7N
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 440299
Vehicle:
2022 KIASTNGR GT1AWD
HiChroma Red

I don't car how much power it puts down if it looks like a turd I'm not buying it. I bought my 2020 STI in Dec and depending on the final version of the 2022 I'll either be buying it or keeping my 2020. Also, I think the Levorg is ugly AF so I'm not holding my breathe.
S7N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:17 PM   #32
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
64 Impala

thats weird, once I get my seat position set I never change it...

Quote:

murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:43 PM   #33
Hoplite
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 22244
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 Legacy
White

went in to look at a sti and the recaros were uncomfortable to my surprise. my shoulders were too wide and the contour made it miserable. i hate CVTs but may getting a legacy XT touring
Hoplite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #34
Arcanum_STI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511103
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2021 WRX STI
Black

I am super excited I put a deposit on a 2021 STI Limited Wingless. I am trading in my 2019 STI Base for it & got a very good trade in $$$ with 26,000 miles. my new 2021 STI is Crustam Black & is about 15 days away from my local Subaru dealer!
Arcanum_STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:12 AM   #35
phatride01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8463
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
21 STi (stock)
Ice Silver Metallic

I went through this same thing, not too long ago. Well, almost a month ago...and while the Recaro's were nice, the 2K hit to the price tag of the car was not. There's the base, the base with Rec's, and finally the limited.

I chose a base, knowing the stereo sucks (negligible issue to me), middle rear seatbelt is black all others are red (odd cosmetic issue, doesn't bug me), some odd clunk in my suspension which is going to get checked, a slight ticking coming from my front passenger window (also will be checked), lifetime warranty on powertrain, etc.

All in all, it's a fun car to drive which is why I purchased it. I missed the manual, really. The Legacy 3.6R that I traded out of was more of a touring car, but, couldn't keep both.
If you can find a 2020 still on a lot, which I couldn't anywhere close, I'm sure you can grab a super deal. Otherwise, 2021's are becoming more prevalent now.

GL no matter what route you take.

BTW...

Quote:
I'm at least glad I didn't have to get a sunroof just because I wanted power seats this time around.
This right here, is huge. I didn't want a sunroof, either. Never use them, another point of failure/leaks/weight/headroom, etc.
phatride01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #36
ntg44
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510765
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatride01 View Post
This right here, is huge. I didn't want a sunroof, either. Never use them, another point of failure/leaks/weight/headroom, etc.
I agree. I have an abnormally long torso and short legs, so I always look for the no sunroof option. Although maybe the roofline is high enough on the Impreza/WRX that it wouldn't have mattered. And for whatever reason I enjoy convertibles but get annoyed by light coming in through a sunroof. I always had mine closed in the last car that I had it in.

Although I wanted Recaros and am happy with them. I think it's one of those options that's hard to justify when buying new for some customers, but later on they'll be sought out in the used market. Not that I have any intention of selling my STI anytime soon. This one is a keeper Such a great car.
ntg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #37
phatride01
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
21 STi (stock)
Ice Silver Metallic

^^Agreed. And now I have a flat too, go figure! Definitely not my week!
Old 05-19-2021, 10:05 PM   #38
Hoplite
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 22244
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 Legacy
White

Out of curiosity, was ordering cheaper, MSRP, or same deal vs buying off of the lot?
Hoplite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:45 PM   #39
phatride01
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
21 STi (stock)
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Out of curiosity, was ordering cheaper, MSRP, or same deal vs buying off of the lot?
When you order online and spec it out the way you want it, then, there's not going to be much room for negotiation.

A car on the lot is usually a 'spec' car, in that it has certain 'accessories' already installed (sts, awm's, mirror with home link, etc.).

The dealership needs to move metal, so, you can probably get a deal on it. And a 2020 should be even better...of course it has to line up with the purchasers desires (color, accessories, seats/wings/etc.). There weren't many in my area that were 2020's, and the available ones were not colors I wanted unfortunately.

Just watch the out the door price. That's the key.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:23 AM   #40
ntg44
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
You can get great deals on custom orders, but you need to time it right.

I got 10% off MSRP on my 2014 S4 and 8% off MSRP on my 2017 M3. Both custom orders. The trick is to come in when sales are slow, usually in winter if you're in the snowbelt. Come in with your car built and specced on paper, and come in ready to put money down THAT day, let a salesman who looks half interested in selling you a car approach you, and you can usually come out with a deal you're happy with. And if not, try another dealer the next day and repeat until you find a deal you like.

Of course, you need to be open to the salesman finding a dealer trade, because they're there to sell you a car, not to help you buy a car. There is a difference

The best time to do this as a buyer is the last few days of the month. It's low pressure for you because it's very likely they won't get the dealer traded car in before the end of the month and try to squeeze in a sale for a car you're not necessarily interested in. In my experience, the salesmen listen to what you are actually looking for when it's the very end of the month/beginning of next month as opposed to mid month where they're trying to get any relatively closely specced car into the dealership ASAP and get in the sale for the current month.

Although the current market is ridiculous, so YMMV at this point in time.

Last edited by ntg44; 05-20-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #41
Woodsracer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524419

I was going to buy a 2021 STI. But the rumors of the stock 2022 power are enticing. I am hearing 400+HP. I have a 2017 WRX base now and love the car. I'll probably give it to my daughter when I get the new STI. I just hope the rumors have some reality in them. I would hate to have waited only to find out that the changes were not worth the wait. I was never a huge fan of buying the 1st year of a major revision. But I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this.
Woodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:56 PM   #42
phatride01
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
21 STi (stock)
Ice Silver Metallic

I was in the same boat, but, then, I figured it'd be the new WRX that came out first...and probably 2023 before the STi rolls into show rooms/dealer lots. As such, I bought the 2021.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:32 PM   #43
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
64 Impala

dont get your hopes up, the new STI platform likely wont arrive here until 2023 now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsracer View Post
I was going to buy a 2021 STI. But the rumors of the stock 2022 power are enticing. I am hearing 400+HP. I have a 2017 WRX base now and love the car. I'll probably give it to my daughter when I get the new STI. I just hope the rumors have some reality in them. I would hate to have waited only to find out that the changes were not worth the wait. I was never a huge fan of buying the 1st year of a major revision. But I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this.
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #44
ntg44
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
dont get your hopes up, the new STI platform likely wont arrive here until 2023 now...
Not to mention haggling away the first year markups and fighting for an allocation. Not worth it. Enjoy current gen for 3-4 years then trade in when market slows down. Resale value is too good on these.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #45
drrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325901
Vehicle:
1217 2 WRX Limiteds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Not to mention haggling away the first year markups and fighting for an allocation. Not worth it. Enjoy current gen for 3-4 years then trade in when market slows down. Resale value is too good on these.
This. Trade in market is amazing... almost impossible to pass up

Also on special ordering, I was able to get a fair negotiated price.

That said, my car is still not in. Dealer says august now... somehow must be effected by the chip shortages. Subaru cut production of vehicles in April.
drrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #46
Waldron91
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum_STI View Post
I am super excited I put a deposit on a 2021 STI Limited Wingless. I am trading in my 2019 STI Base for it & got a very good trade in $$$ with 26,000 miles. my new 2021 STI is Crustam Black & is about 15 days away from my local Subaru dealer!
Did you receive any updates along the way from your salesman/subaru? I put a deposit down 3 weeks ago for an STI and haven't received a VON or any updates.
Waldron91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:08 PM   #47
Zilla2019sti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsracer View Post
1st year will likely have issues, plus all the speed demons out there will want to modify the crap outta that thing. The new frs/86/brz suppose to have the 2.4l engine from the accent too. Very interesting to see them use it across all these platforms and produce different power levels. Realistically the new 2022 sti prolly won't push close to 400hp stock, maybe the next special model edition of S210 will push that much. They always do small power bumps 300-10, and special model S209 with 341hp.
Zilla2019sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:14 PM   #48
joecho530
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 525313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldron91 View Post
Did you receive any updates along the way from your salesman/subaru? I put a deposit down 3 weeks ago for an STI and haven't received a VON or any updates.
I am also waiting for my factory order. Put deposit down on 6/12 and got the VON the next day. No update since. You should have at least got a VON for you to be able to check the status. Anyone else waiting for their order? I am anxious to know what the ETA is.
joecho530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:14 AM   #49
Waldron91
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524878

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecho530 View Post
I am also waiting for my factory order. Put deposit down on 6/12 and got the VON the next day. No update since. You should have at least got a VON for you to be able to check the status. Anyone else waiting for their order? I am anxious to know what the ETA is.
I never received a VON from my salesman but he did update me with an Interim date of August 4th but haven't received any updates since. Going to email tomorrow and find out if there have been any updates.
Waldron91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #50
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

For anyone considering any of the WRX or STi options, I highly recommend going in and test driving what you're considering. I've been thinking of getting a WRX base or premium. I went with my son for his service on his 20 STi base. While that was being done, I tested a WRX premium. Much to my surprise, although the car drove fine for me and the seats were comfortable enough, the interior is worlds behind his 20 STi. Enough that I wouldn't even consider the WRX now. Everyone has their own "must have" things. For me, living in an interior that's not up to par doesn't work.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote