Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #1326
GreekWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 471974
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsmalls View Post
Hm, my "butt dyno" of audio thought it did - but who knows. It did seem that I was a number or two higher on the volume than the previous unit, but that could just be a difference in calibration of the scale.

So, tooled around online and found the manual. I learned how to upload a screen saver. If you don't touch some select radio controls for 30 seconds the screen saver will come up. You have your choice of two in the system settings. Very easy to upload. Just dump a JPG on a USB Drive and upload.

I just picked a couple quick ones to try out.

Ah, another feature I left out earlier. You can see the HD/TAG button above.

1. HD Radio is streamed like digital cable. So, if you look @ my image in earlier posts you see 102.5 FM is selected. Well, about 3-5 seconds into the audio you hear a change over in quality. It's pretty dramatic. If you look up above where it says HD 1 2 3 etc. The 1 and 2 are highlighted. The technology allows this station to stream two digital 'channels' over 102.5FM. So, basically I can hit the HD button again and it will swap over to station #2.

2. The same button also has the tagging function. Let's say I hear a song I like I can press and hold HD/TAG and it will store the info of the song on my connected Apple device. I checked w/ both my ipod and iphone. Once you connect to iTunes all the data is there.

Hey many do you remember where you found the manual for the radio??
GreekWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #1327
iamthefig
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495970
Default HU Upgrade?

Hey everyone after reading thread after thread on here I finally made an account.

Since I just joined the Subaru family this account will come in handy in the near future.

Both my wife and I got Subaru’s for the new year. She got a 2016 Forester XT, and I got a 2011 WRX Limited.

Now, I hate my Navi HU that came with my car. I have to insert a disc for maps, then calibrate my location, sound is horrible, touch screen has an early 2000’s feel. It’s 2019 now and none of the 2011 functions are up to par for today’s uses.

I’m used to my Mylink setup in my 2016 Silverado, well I’m spoiled by it. So now I want something similar for my wrx.

I read you all using older Forester HU’s for pnp into different year Imprezas, but issues soon ensue after install.

Does anyone have an awesome HU installed in there 2011 Impreza that retains all swc’s, has Apple carplay, or that new Subaru star link getup?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
iamthefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #1328
dcon9999
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326345
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 5-Door Premium
Ice Metallic Silver

I had the cp635u1. the issue that got me was the constant static on phone calls I very bluetooth. This is a common undiagnosed issue (some think noise reduction mic issue, some think antenna shielding, etc). That and the general lack of custom eq.

If youre good getting away from oem.look, I moved to a pioneer mvh-2300nex..it's great. Really anything in their nex series is clean, comprehensive, well supported (customer service and the internet) and not killer expensive. If you want a pnp oe, You're limited on sound quality, tech etc. Subaru is not a leader in interior tech. Any aftetmrket will be swc compatible and back up camera friendly.
dcon9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #1329
shane_c
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 168062
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Touring
Black

My apologies if this has already been covered.....

I have a 2014 Impreza hatchback and want to replace my base HU with one that has the screen so I can hook up a backup camera. From what I've read it seems like I could use either the CM631UD or CP635U1. Is one better than the other? Would it make more sense to go with the Impreza model which is the CM631UD, or does it matter?

Backup camera: I've read in some of the previous posts that I would need to order a special harness to use a backup camera on these units. If I was to buy an OEM camera from a dealer would it already come with the wiring and be plug and play to the HU?

Satellite radio: I may have just answered my question about which unit to get by looking at a few pics. It seems the CM631UD doesn't have a SAT button. I'm currently using a Stratus 7 for Sirius XM plugged into my cigarette lighter and AUX. If I switched to an OEM HU with the SAT button am I correct in thinking I'd just need to add the Sirius tuner and could then run it from the HU?
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:38 PM   #1330
Dr.Evil199
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355716
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Premium
Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post

I have a 2014 Impreza hatchback and want to replace my base HU with one that has the screen so I can hook up a backup camera. From what I've read it seems like I could use either the CM631UD or CP635U1. Is one better than the other? Would it make more sense to go with the Impreza model which is the CM631UD, or does it matter?

Backup camera: I've read in some of the previous posts that I would need to order a special harness to use a backup camera on these units. If I was to buy an OEM camera from a dealer would it already come with the wiring and be plug and play to the HU?

Satellite radio: I may have just answered my question about which unit to get by looking at a few pics. It seems the CM631UD doesn't have a SAT button. I'm currently using a Stratus 7 for Sirius XM plugged into my cigarette lighter and AUX. If I switched to an OEM HU with the SAT button am I correct in thinking I'd just need to add the Sirius tuner and could then run it from the HU?
You can use either but CP635U1 supports satellite radio. I just ordered the wiring harness from svxdc and it worked like a charm for the backup camera.

P.S. I have the CP635U1 headunit available if someone is looking for it.

Last edited by Dr.Evil199; 07-16-2021 at 04:38 PM. Reason: adding details about the headunit
Dr.Evil199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:16 AM   #1331
dcon9999
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326345
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 5-Door Premium
Ice Metallic Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post

I had the cp635u1 and found that the xm branded satellite tuner was terrible. Went with a Sirius and it worked great. I can dig back for a model number if helpful . Let me know
dcon9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #1332
YodaKush
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 529556
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Spark Silver

Default Subaru says NO 86201sc630 will NOT work in ‘11wrx

Hello people from 11 years ago. I’ve stumbled across this thread stating this feller swapped this hu in from and ‘11 forester to an ‘11 WRX which is what I’m looking at doing now. When I look up this exact part number on Subaru it says it does NOT fit ‘11 WRX. I’m wondering why they are saying this when this article clearly shows it’s plug and play over to the WRX. Nervous about spending $200+ until I understand this discrepancy.
YodaKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:06 AM   #1333
Dr.Evil199
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Premium
Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaKush View Post
Hello people from 11 years ago. I've stumbled across this thread stating this feller swapped this hu in from and ***8216;11 forester to an ***8216;11 WRX which is what I'm looking at doing now. When I look up this exact part number on Subaru it says it does NOT fit ***8216;11 WRX. I'm wondering why they are saying this when this article clearly shows it's plug and play over to the WRX. Nervous about spending $200+ until I understand this discrepancy.
It worked perfectly on my '12 WRX. Don't think there are any differences between the two model years in terms of HU but I could be wrong.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:05 PM   #1334
YodaKush
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Spark Silver

Default Have you found a camera harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evil199 View Post
It worked perfectly on my '12 WRX. Don't think there are any differences between the two model years in terms of HU but I could be wrong.
Were you able to find someone or somewhere that still makes the harnesses for the backup camera and possibly a sub Input. If so what camera did you decide to go with, I’m looking at this one that’s supposed to be oem fit for the license plate light

https://www.amazon.ca/1280x720p-Impr.../dp/B082S1SK2Q
Old 04-12-2022, 12:05 AM   #1335
Dr.Evil199
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Premium
Gray

Quote:
Were you able to find someone or somewhere that still makes the harnesses for the backup camera and possibly a sub Input. If so what camera did you decide to go with, I'm looking at this one that's supposed to be oem fit for the license plate light

https://www.amazon.ca/1280x720p-Impr.../dp/B082S1SK2Q
Yeah I got the harness from svxdc. I still have it along with the Head unit for sale.

Got this camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADHZWIK/ to go with the HU and harness.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:48 AM   #1336
YodaKush
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Spark Silver

Quote:
Yeah I got the harness from svxdc. I still have it along with the Head unit for sale.

Got this camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADHZWIK/ to go with the HU and harness.
I’ve ordered a similar camera, and after a long struggle managed to find the harness as well hah. Wasnt able to get ahold of svx. I’ve also already ordered the hu it’s on its way. Did you find a solution to connect a sub to the back of that HU?
Old 04-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #1337
Dr.Evil199
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Premium
Gray

Quote:
I’ve ordered a similar camera, and after a long struggle managed to find the harness as well hah. Wasnt able to get ahold of svx. I’ve also already ordered the hu it’s on its way. Did you find a solution to connect a sub to the back of that HU?
tbh I don't remember
Old 04-26-2022, 11:39 PM   #1338
mikeyc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32338
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Quote:

Any chance you still have it for sale and would entertain shipping it to Canada?
mikeyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:08 AM   #1339
Dr.Evil199
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Premium
Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc View Post
Any chance you still have it for sale and would entertain shipping it to Canada?
You mean the HU and harness for sale? Yes, I have those. Shipping isn't going to be a problem.
Feel free to message me for details