Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-23-2022, 04:33 PM   #26
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Member#: 107618
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

I had the same issue with the DCCD controller, also the DCCDPro unit. At first, I was always in manual mode. The shop that installed it, along with installing my STI trans swap, didn't wire the TPS sensor. Next time I went to their shop, they fixed it.

The auto feature is pretty awesome.
REX_WGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2022, 04:48 PM   #27
AceKingNYC
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 406087
Vehicle:
06 GGB 6sp Wagon
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by currancchs View Post
Finally finished the swap!

Some quick lessons learned: Check the neutral position switch, backup light switch, and shifter slop before mounting the transmission in the vehicle!

On my donor transmission, the neutral position switch was inoperable as well as being of the wrong type (some are normally open while others are normally closed). My backup light switch was also inoperative (found that out yesterday, after my test drive...). These switches can be replaced without removing the transmission, but you do need to drop the transmission brace, remove the driveshaft, remove the exhaust from the cat back to the axle, and use a crow's foot/work blind.

Also, my shifter linkage had a wallowed out yoke, right where it slides onto the shaft coming out of the back of the transmission, as well as a loose roll pin. These issues gave me about 2'' of side-to-side play at the shifter. I wound up replacing the yoke, all bushings (i.e. TiC u-joint bushings and kartboy bushings for the rear stay and trans stay), and the shifter itself (with a COBB short throw), but this would have been easier with everything off of the car.

Still don't have my DCCD controller wired in, but not a huge deal. Will likely tackle that in the spring, as they have already salted the roads around me and I don't drive the car after the first salting.

Only remaining issue is a P0340/P0016 code. The former is for a faulty passenger side cam sensor circuit while the latter is a cam/crank correlation code (RH side). While it is possible the timing belt jumped a tooth or two when the transmission grenaded, I think it is more likely that I forgot to connect a ground or pulled a wire out of a connector while moving things around (the belt is a heavy duty one, i.e. one of the blue Gates ones, and it was installed about 1k miles ago/within the last year. The car started easily in about 30F weather, drove fine until fully warm, then didn't want to start again right after shutting it down. I was able to get it to start by giving it a little throttle during cranking. Seems to run fine once started. I'll update here once I figure this out, but its cold here and I may wait for a warm day to do so.

Other than that, the transmission shifts much more smoothly than my old 5 speed and the new clutch (exedy stage 1 HD with resurfaced STi flywheel) engages without chatter (the engagement window is small and engagement is firm, but I was expecting that - clutch effort is heavy-ish, but not unreasonable).

Thanks for the help and comments everyone!

p.s. the old/unused parts are now for sale. Local pickup preferred (I live in Brookline, NH).

Parts available include:
  1. WRX/STi Starter
  2. STi Lateral links (full set)
  3. STi Trailing Arms
  4. WRX Transmission brace/subframe (missing bushings - OEM were degraded and I reused my upgraded bushings on the STi brace, but can include OEM transmission mount)
  5. WRX Group N Transmission mount (was on the car for three weeks or so, including one trackday, before the transmission gave up, so basically brand new)
  6. WRX 5sp. Trans (blown - does not include neutral position switch, backup light switch, or the stay bushings/stay associated with the shift linkage - I needed the former for my swap and the latter were retrofitted to my Forester (why not ))
  7. WRX R160 Differential (does not include breather, needed to reuse on R180 used in swap)
  8. WRX clutch and flywheel (worked perfectly, no shudder, HD - firm pedal, but well worn clutch disc)
  9. WRX slave cylinder (missing actuation rod, but slave is brand new, needed to reuse rod with STi slave)
  10. STi clutch master and hose
  11. WRX rear axles (no clicking, good boots, mild cracking at worst)
  12. WRX rear hubs
  13. WRX brake booster

All WRX parts are off of my 2006 WRX and all STi parts are from a 2004 STi (i.e. the donor car for my swap). I may be forgetting some parts and will also be posting these parts for sale in the for sale sub-forum shortly. Feel free to make me an offer. If you want to meet up within a few hours of NH, I'd be happy to. Otherwise, buyer pays shipping on top of offer price (I've been burned a few times agreeing to sell parts for less than it cost to ship them... Want to avoid selling parts for a loss again!).

Happy to supply pictures on request.
I also learned the hard way about the NPS and reverse switch haha. Luckily I was able to partially drop the trans, and use a crowsfoot, tons of patience, swearing, and a beer to swap them into the correct spots
AceKingNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #28
currancchs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488200
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceKingNYC View Post
I also learned the hard way about the NPS and reverse switch haha. Luckily I was able to partially drop the trans, and use a crowsfoot, tons of patience, swearing, and a beer to swap them into the correct spots
Haha, glad I'm not the only one (and that you didn't need to pull your trans)! Not too bad on a lift with a pole jack, but wouldn't want to do it on jack stands.
currancchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:43 PM   #29
AceKingNYC
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 406087
Vehicle:
06 GGB 6sp Wagon
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by currancchs View Post
Haha, glad I'm not the only one (and that you didn't need to pull your trans)! Not too bad on a lift with a pole jack, but wouldn't want to do it on jack stands.
I did my entire drivetrain swap, and the NPS correction on jack stands not fun, but you do what you must!
AceKingNYC is offline   Reply With Quote