Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
subaruandmr2
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 472573
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
WRB

Thumbs up ebay Clutch and Flywheel review (XTR, XTD, & others)

This thread is for everyone googling and searching about ebay XTR or XTD clutches for their Subies.
I have a 2003 Subaru WRX that threw a rod bearing. While the engine was out, I figured I should replace the clutch, preferably with something that would be able to deal with some high horsepower as I am considering a built engine in the future. My google research showed turbo civics using ebay clutches to great success so I went for it. The clutch and flywheel combo I picked cost $192.99 from ebay and included the following below. The product I bought was branded XTR but I believe this is the same as XTD, JDK, Grip, FX, CLUTCHXPERTS, GRP, CXP, QSC, and others.

XTR Racing Stage 4 Copper Ceramic 'MIBA' 6-Puck Rigid Disc
Rated at 400ftlbs of torque
UNSPRUNG
XTR Racing Lightweight Chromoly Racing Flywheel
Stock flywheel would need to be resurfaced anyways to be reused
12lbs vs stock 22lbs
XTR Racing Heavy Duty Pull-Type Pressure Plate
Pilot Bearing
Clutch Release Bearing (aka throwout bearing)
Plastic alignment tool

CLUTCH PERFORMANCE:
I strictly followed the given break in period. Considering I have a 5-speed WRX transmission, I'm not launching the car and I don't slam gears. This is especially important considering it's an unsprung clutch. Clutch is much heavier than stock but not unbearable unless you're in stop and go traffic. It doesn't like to be slipped, mostly because it's unsprung, so it forces me to be smooth and quick with the clutch. Honestly, it's pretty brutal until you get used to it. Everyone stalls the car the first few times they drive it and I stalled a lot the first few weeks. Now, I'm fine and stall maybe once a month, if that. No issues with the clutch slipping under heavy load. Granted, my car only has a 2.0l engine that makes about 300whp and 275wtq? This is well under the claimed torque rating.

FLYWHEEL PERFORMANCE:
The engine is definitely happier to rev. I try to shift smoothly and it's really nice that the revs drop faster because that means I can shift faster and just as smooth as when I had the stock flywheel. I have had ZERO check engine lights since the installation of this flywheel. A lightweight flywheel will make some crazy noises upon deceleration. This is normal. I didn't know it was normal and lost my **** at first thinking I forgot a bolt or something. I didn't notice an increase in vibration but there is definitely noise when decelerating in gear vs the stock flywheel. Something to consider.

ADVICE:
Buy a sprung clutch.
If you don't know what unsprung/sprung means, go read Unabomber's clutch FAQ. I bought unsprung due to ignorance and now it annoys me every day. Sprung clutches are so much nicer to use.
Use a Subaru OEM clutch release bearing.
DO NOT USE THE KIT INCLUDED RELEASE BEARING. I got my trans all back together and guess what, the release bearing refused to click into the pressure plate. Also, all clutch release bearings, this includes Exedy, annoyingly rattle. It sounds like your engine is knocking at idle and even if you know it's not your engine, other people will think it is. Only the OEM Subaru bearing is not known to rattle!
Reuse the clutch release bearing mating ring from the OEM pressure plate.
This part sits in the very center of the pressure plate and can be rotated. You will need to pop out the metal ring on the clutch side to be able to pull it out. This is what retains the release bearing and the XTR one was not properly sized. It was too large and let the release bearing slip out. Replacing it with the OEM piece solves this issue.
Reuse and properly torque the flywheel and pressure plate bolts.
You don't want to have pull the trans back off because you didn't tighten a bolt right. It's also fairly easy to snap the pressure plate bolts so torque them to spec and NO MORE.
Follow break-in procedures.
Otherwise you will hate yourself. Nuff said.
Overbuy for your torque.
I'm sure ebay sellers over estimate these torque limits. I very much doubt this clutch can take 400wtq but I could be wrong. I'm currently WELL under that limit. I would suggest buying the next "stage" up from what your torque matches. Example: If you are making 250wtq and the "Stage 1" clutch is listed to take 250wtp, you should probably buy the "Stage 2".

I installed this clutch and flywheel myself and have been running the clutch for about 9 months now without issue. I'm open and happy to answer any questions.
subaruandmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Gally316
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 494541
Vehicle:
2009 wxr
wrb

Hows the Clutch holding up?
Gally316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:30 AM   #3
Elver231
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 456773
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy
Dark Green

Thank you very much. Great post. Nothing else to say.
Elver231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
gjoh791300
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511236
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Aspen White

How’s it holding up? I’m looking at getting one of these for mine and am pretty concerned about longevity based off of the other reviews on here haha
gjoh791300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #5
O.D.D
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491359

Followed your post and the install was on point. The clutch pedal is actually not as stiff as I expected. But that may be because I do not use the clutch helper spring anyway. Finding the bite point for a smooth clutch dump is quite tricky though. Thanks for sharing such priceless info.
O.D.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #6
ormoto
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 527555

Legend goof
ormoto is offline   Reply With Quote