Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #1
maxsubaru1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 428260
Default Belt issues on 08 Impreza

Hi everyone,

My 2.0R hatchback Impreza from 2008 (150hp) had all belts (including engine belt) and water pump replaced at 93000km 3 years ago (2018). Unfortunately they didn't allow me to look at them while they were working. This was an official Subaru workshop and I spent more than 1300$

Last august at 118000km I had to replace the two services belts (AC belt and power steering belt) as after visual inspection they had cracks. This was done by a local mechanic, using brand new Continental belts (matching numbers for my car). The guy who did it said that it looked like the previous belt replacement in 2018 wasn't actually done.

Today I went to another mechanic because during cold starts, I hear a shimming noise from the engine bay. Almost like a belt scratching against something. The noise disappears after 3 seconds and only happens when I start the engine cold.

It might be unrelated with the noise but after visual inspection I noticed the AC belt (the elastic one) had cracks in it. So the local mechanic advised to replace it with a Subaru OEM belt and he just cut it for now as he said if it was going to break with engine on, it might have damaged the other belts as well. The power steering belt looks fine from the outside. The car has 130000km now

This wear and tear doesn't look normal to me. What do you guys think, what can be the issue behind? Another Subaru workshop quoted me 85$ for the OEM AC belt. It's elastic so they are just going to put it on manually without any particular instrument.. Is it how it should be done?

Is there a way to easily verify that the engine belt was really replaced in 2018? The local mechanic said it's going to take hours
maxsubaru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
maxsubaru1
Scooby Newbie

In other words can the AC belt get damaged if they didn't use the proper tool (like the Gates one) to install it? Very likely they didn't use any tool
Old 03-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #3
serrilion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348982
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 TS
Multi

The belt should be strait forward. The only thing I can think of on the AC side is they are cranking the s*** out of the belt when tightening the tensioner to tightly.

I normally replace mine every 60,000mi (96,000km)

Its pretty strait forward to do yourself
serrilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #4
maxsubaru1
Scooby Newbie

No there is no tensioner on the 2008 Impreza. It's an elastic belt and needs a tool to be installed properly
Old 03-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
serrilion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348982
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 TS
Multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsubaru1 View Post
No there is no tensioner on the 2008 Impreza. It's an elastic belt and needs a tool to be installed properly

Then the country your from might be of some help? I don't know of any here in the states. But maybe a few pictures would be helpful
serrilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
euphanasia
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523451

Could you be clear about what kind of noise you're getting? I don't know what you mean by a "shimming noise."

Could it be a bad idler pulley heating up the belt?
euphanasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #7
Lega-C
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524256
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy 2.5i
Silver

I had a similar issue and ignored it. Eventually the belt snapped only after it had dug into the serpentine belt cover and worn a slut straight through it. I'm not sure what the issue was but my guess was an oversized belt, improper install, or possibly I tightened the pulleys down too far.
Lega-C is offline   Reply With Quote