Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-18-2021, 10:01 PM   #1
Savage388
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488985
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2009 wrx
dgm

Default Aem inline wideband help.

I bought what I thought was an aem x series wideband that was pnp through the rear o2 however it's pinned at the connector for 12v, 0-5v(+), sensor ground and ground. I'm horrible with wiring so after look at factory service manuals for my 09 wrx for a while it doesn't look like the rear o2 plug has an actual ground on it, just sensor ground. Will I need to run a separate ground from the aem unit or does the rear o2 ground somewhere I can't find?
Savage388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
64 Impala

im not aware of any AEM wideband that's PNP....they are all used as a standalone sensor as far as I know
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:12 PM   #3
Savage388
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 wrx
dgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
im not aware of any AEM wideband that's PNP....they are all used as a standalone sensor as far as I know
They're not pnp from aem, I thought I was buying a used i-wire pnp aem wideband, I'm not sure if I can link it or not. Its the 30-0310 controller that outputs the canbus signal to the rear o2 harness so you can enable custom sensor input in the access port and get wbo2 readings. i-wire has there's grounded to the body which this one does not, I'm trying to figure out if there's a ground on the rear o2 harness or if I have to re wire it.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
64 Impala

i see it's just the sensor and controller without the gauge, are you trying to datalog through the AP?
Old 02-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #5
Savage388
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 wrx
dgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
i see it's just the sensor and controller without the gauge, are you trying to datalog through the AP?
Yea I'm just trying to datalog with the ap, no gauge or wiring inside.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:50 PM   #6
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
64 Impala

Old 02-18-2021, 11:16 PM   #7
Savage388
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 wrx
dgm

I have already read through the first one on my first series of searches, it contradicts sensor ground (brown for me) but since it was done through the tgv kit with the regular gauged wideband my only takeaway is I should re-wire/ pin my pnp kit since info on the x series is sparse. My only other info is this came off of a 2018 sti which has the same o2 harness as I do.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:26 AM   #8
siete
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499183
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2019 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage388 View Post
I bought what I thought was an aem x series wideband that was pnp through the rear o2 however it's pinned at the connector for 12v, 0-5v(+), sensor ground and ground. I'm horrible with wiring so after look at factory service manuals for my 09 wrx for a while it doesn't look like the rear o2 plug has an actual ground on it, just sensor ground. Will I need to run a separate ground from the aem unit or does the rear o2 ground somewhere I can't find?
That's weird. The rear o2 harness is a 4-way connector with heater, 12v, signal, and signal ground. The power ground should not be pinned on the connector. You sure they pinned the power ground?
siete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:30 AM   #9
Savage388
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 wrx
dgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by siete View Post
That's weird. The rear o2 harness is a 4-way connector with heater, 12v, signal, and signal ground. The power ground should not be pinned on the connector. You sure they pinned the power ground?
They had to, I actually have up on the diagrams and just plugged it in and it worked...well sort of. There's a voltage offset issue I think front not having it grounded properly. I'm getting an afr of 15:1 at idle/cruise on the wideband where the front o2 reads 14.5-14.7. It's been calibrated per the aem chart as well so it's not that.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:45 AM   #10
siete
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499183
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2019 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage388 View Post
They had to, I actually have up on the diagrams and just plugged it in and it worked...well sort of. There's a voltage offset issue I think front not having it grounded properly. I'm getting an afr of 15:1 at idle/cruise on the wideband where the front o2 reads 14.5-14.7. It's been calibrated per the aem chart as well so it's not that.
Not sure man, IIRC, looking at the back of the connector:
Top left (#1) will be the heater wire for the rear o2 sensor, which is plugged on iWire's connector.
Top right (#2) red wire 12v power.
Bottom left (#3) white wire 5v signal.
Bottom right (#4) brown wire signal ground.

Power ground is a separate wire terminated with a ring connector to chassis ground.
siete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:24 PM   #11
Savage388
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 wrx
dgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by siete View Post
Not sure man, IIRC, looking at the back of the connector:

Top left (#1) will be the heater wire for the rear o2 sensor, which is plugged on iWire's connector.

Top right (#2) red wire 12v power.

Bottom left (#3) white wire 5v signal.

Bottom right (#4) brown wire signal ground.

Power ground is a separate wire terminated with a ring connector to chassis ground.
That's what I came up with as well with the exception of the heater wire. The only thing I can think of is the sensor ground is spliced into the ground on my connector or else it simply wouldn't work. I've had it on for about a month with no issue aside from slightly lean reading. I'm debating getting the i-wire kit or rewiring this one right now.