Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Faruchos
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 105340
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Default Shuddering at low speed after new engine install

I just installed a new short block in my wife’s 2010 Impreza outback sport due to a spun rod bearing. With the new engine, the car now shudders at low speeds when turning, especially when turning in and out of the driveway. The car rumbles pretty bad. It’s not the power steering pump. I also don’t think it is a transmission problem because it was not happening with the old engine. This was my 4th time pulling and installing an ej25, but I’m thinking I messed up on something.

Thinking back on the install, I’m wondering if I jacked up the transmission too much and somehow messed up the axles. The other thing I recall was that the torque converter was not aligned with the access hole on the engine block when I was bolting up the flex plate. I had to rotate the torque converter counter clockwise about 4 inches to the access hole. Is it possible I messed up the torque converter by rotating it?

Would either of these things cause the drivetrain to shudder? I haven’t had a chance yet, but I am going to check for play in the front axles, and drain/fill the front diff and transmission fluid as an added measure.

I appreciate any thoughts and help!

Last edited by Faruchos; 07-20-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Faruchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
serrilion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348982
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 TS
Multi

I normally when installing the motor the torque converter and flex plate should line up. Now with the car in park or N does the engine shutter when you step on the gas? or is it fine. This would help us further get to your issues as it could be engine related or trans related.
serrilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:36 PM   #3
Faruchos
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 105340
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

I changed the front and rear diff fluid and also did a drain/fill on the transmission fluid and the problem is still there. I also checked for play in the front axles and there wasn’t any.

The shuddering only happens when turning in drive and also reverse. It is very bad when going 1-5mph and gets less noticeable with increasing speeds when turning. There isn’t any shuddering while driving straight at any speed. The transmission shifts fine and doesn’t have any issues.

As a test, I was turning slow to cause the shuddering. While turning, I shifted into neutral and the shuddering stopped.

Any thoughts?
Faruchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
serrilion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348982
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 TS
Multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faruchos View Post
I changed the front and rear diff fluid and also did a drain/fill on the transmission fluid and the problem is still there. I also checked for play in the front axles and there wasn’t any.

The shuddering only happens when turning in drive and also reverse. It is very bad when going 1-5mph and gets less noticeable with increasing speeds when turning. There isn’t any shuddering while driving straight at any speed. The transmission shifts fine and doesn’t have any issues.

As a test, I was turning slow to cause the shuddering. While turning, I shifted into neutral and the shuddering stopped.

Any thoughts?
quickly, maybe a bad torque converter or a warped flex plate. Turning maybe a really bad wheel bearing, coukd jack up the car each side and test for play. Loose lug nuts - not trying to be funny just never know. Also when you jacked up car and installed motor did you use a trans jack? or just a jack on the trans? if just a jack did you use a board or anything under the pan or jack to pan? there are some sensors in there that could have been crushed
serrilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:36 AM   #5
_jaco
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521239
Vehicle:
1999 Forester
white

You said you installed a new short block, does that mean you did the heads and timing yourself? Any CEL's?
_jaco is offline   Reply With Quote