Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
sammon287
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309034
Vehicle:
2012 5 dr premium

Default weak hatch lift supports

The hatch lift supports on our 2012 Impreza have given up. The dealer didn't have them in stock and I think they are pretty pricey despite OEM only lasting 2.5 years. I have had good luck with reasonably priced and USA made Strongarm brand, but they don't have an application for the Impreza. The body end has an integrated bracket for two attachment screws. Has anyone adapted another brand or model strut on the current Impreza? I can't believe I am the only ones with weak hatch struts.
sammon287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
LASERBLUE135
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 154836
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
aspen white

Hatch lift supports struts. I just replaced mine. Found an aftermarket set at the local auto parts store. The aftermarket ones cost $28 bucks, found online for as low as $15 each. Aftermarket ones are extremely easy to install. By far the biggest problem was removing the old lift supports. I ended up just unbolting the old set. A standard 12mm wrench gets the top one easily and on the bottom one there is a screw that needed to be removed, allowing you remove a small plastic piece before getting to the nut. Took a few minutes once I figured it out. This was a 2003 WRX hatch. I'd like to believe most Subi hatchbacks are similar.
LASERBLUE135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
sammon287
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 5 dr premium

Default still looking for hatchback lift supports

I ordered a set from liftsupportsdepot.com for $50. They had the right bracket on the body end and the right ball joint at the hatch end. They mounted up, but the hatch would not close due to the supports being one inch too long. I measured against the old OEM ones fully extended. They are marked left/right and were mounted correctly. after communicating with the company and sending them the markings on the original ones, they offered a refund, but no suggestions on what would work. The parts from various Subaru part sites (part #63260 and 63260A) are something like $70 each, at least when I enter 2012 Impreza in the compatibility field. It's been a year and a half since I first posted this. Anyone else find alternative replacements yet?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
jakepeters
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34040
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Silvah

Bump, reviving this zombie thread.

2012 Impreza wagon here. Also looking for a reasonably priced solution.

Can't find much. Amazon says this is a match:
2 Pieces (SET) Tuff Support Rear Liftgate Lift Supports 2012 To 2016 Subaru Impreza (Without Brackets)
https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Support-...baru%3Aimpreza

About $41 after shipping.

But, they do not include the brackets or ball-end parts, and mine are rusty and I'd prefer all new hardware.

JP
jakepeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
sammon287
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 5 dr premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakepeters View Post
Bump, reviving this zombie thread.

2012 Impreza wagon here. Also looking for a reasonably priced solution.

Can't find much. Amazon says this is a match:
2 Pieces (SET) Tuff Support Rear Liftgate Lift Supports 2012 To 2016 Subaru Impreza (Without Brackets)
https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Support-...baru%3Aimpreza

About $41 after shipping.

But, they do not include the brackets or ball-end parts, and mine are rusty and I'd prefer all new hardware.

JP
I just ordered a set for $28 shipped from Walmart.com. I had to select L/R part numbers separately. In the one review, the person said some rivet grinding and additional hardware is required. I don't mind a little fabrication if I can make them work for $28.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
sammon287
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 5 dr premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammon287 View Post
I just ordered a set for $28 shipped from Walmart.com. I had to select L/R part numbers separately. In the one review, the person said some rivet grinding and additional hardware is required. I don't mind a little fabrication if I can make them work for $28.
I installed them the other day. No additional hardware was needed, just an angle grinder to remove the bracket from the old strut. They work great. Finally, a reasonably priced solution to the dead factory struts.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
bjagd02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454365
Default Lift Support Hardware

Hi,

I bought new lift supports for my '12 Impreza but I still need the hardware (should've bought ones that included the hardware...). I'm having a hard time finding just the hardware, anyone know where I can find it? I cannot re-use the existing as they rusted out and snapped so a piece of the hardware is stuck in the existing lift. Thanks!
bjagd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjagd02 View Post
Hi,

I bought new lift supports for my '12 Impreza but I still need the hardware (should've bought ones that included the hardware...). I'm having a hard time finding just the hardware, anyone know where I can find it? I cannot re-use the existing as they rusted out and snapped so a piece of the hardware is stuck in the existing lift. Thanks!
Subaru parts:

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_20...23-622-01.html
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
bjagd02
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
Thanks! I was on here but this page eluded me.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
bjagd02
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjagd02 View Post
Thanks! I was on here but this page eluded me.
Well it seems that you cannot buy the mounting parts separately, unless I'm missing something. I may have to return the lift supports I bought, or go to a salvage yard and get used ones.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
gard
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511121
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
White

Our 03 had a recall to replace the struts, might be worth checking
gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
bjagd02
Scooby Newbie

Bump
this can be deleted
Old 08-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
bjagd02
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammon287 View Post
I installed them the other day. No additional hardware was needed, just an angle grinder to remove the bracket from the old strut. They work great. Finally, a reasonably priced solution to the dead factory struts.
Hi, do you happen to still have the direct link to these from Walmart? The site isn't finding any compatible parts for me.

Last edited by bjagd02; 08-07-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #14
chasnasty2016
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 460929

Bump:

does anyone know if you only install one new strut, will the hatch not close correctly? I replaced one side and now the hatch does seem to line up correctly when closed.

Thanks in advance
chasnasty2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #15
bjagd02
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasnasty2016 View Post
Bump:

does anyone know if you only install one new strut, will the hatch not close correctly? I replaced one side and now the hatch does seem to line up correctly when closed.

Thanks in advance
I only had one working for the longest time. It should still open and close, you just have to hold the hatch open.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #16
bjagd02
Scooby Newbie

Finally found what I needed on ebay. I just searched for generic 20 inch lift supports, found a set in my price range, and the worked perfectly. Also found the hardware needed on ebay. I'm all set and so happy I no longer have to hold my hatch open!
Old 09-26-2021, 09:55 PM   #17
wrxbay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 526741

Anyone find a OEM replacement for these that don't cost $200 for a set? I have bought some aftermarket ones before and they don't last as long.
wrxbay is offline   Reply With Quote