Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #101
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Member#: 107618
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

I also bought the Chase Bays kit for my wagon, although a used one. It's also collecting dust waiting to go in.

Back in the day, I used to drop my car off for a new engine or the 6-speed swap and it would take forever. I felt like if I didn't call in to check from time to time, they would've just pushed it further to the right. I was happy with how everything turned out but it just took longer than expected as what was told to me. So I feel your pain about this. What's great is that you don't need the motor at this point. Maybe see if you can find another engine shop in the meantime and move your engine there?
REX_WGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2022, 01:08 PM   #102
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 525652
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTrae View Post
Even though I try to get the best deals I can on stuff, I still have a TON of money in to this non-running car..
Might not be a lot of money to some people, but it definitely is to me.
One of these days, it'll be worth it.
Right there with ya bud. I am STILL waiting on stuff to get it running and the engine has been in it, ready to go for a couple weeks now.
xtremewlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #103
chilllemonade
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530503

Looks really fun project, there's something about wagon that makes it looks so good
chilllemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:52 AM   #104
nosdodnai
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 528896
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX STi
Blue Black Mica

Awesome work, coming along great.
Glad i don't have to deal with that weather and rust.
nosdodnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:17 PM   #105
jamzkurl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 531139

Jealous!
jamzkurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:41 PM   #106
Mikku
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 528920
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
World rally blue

Any updates??
Mikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:34 AM   #107
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454659
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikku View Post
Any updates??
Admittedly.. No.

I've been fairly preoccupied with a bunch of work organizing and cleaning my basement, where all the parts for the car are being stored, and making my new daily pretty..

As soon as I finish this project in my basement, it should free up space down there AND in my garage, so that I have enough room to start working on the car again.

But actually now that I think about it, the word is that I should have my motor back in the next couple weeks. So, that's kind of an update?
Remember that when I dropped it off, they said I would probably have it back before the first of June!
Everything has been backed up, everywhere. Strange times that we're living in.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of my Impreza and Scooby South's Blobeye STi at Top Shelf Performance's annual cookout/open house yesterday.

Hopefully I'll have some decent progress posts in the near future.
Along with this organization project I'm doing around the house, I've also got another idea in the works that'll greatly help with my WRX resto/build.
We'll see what happens.
DrTrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:15 AM   #108
Mikku
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
World rally blue

Thanks for the update and fingers crossed for the return of the engine. As the saying goes, "All good things come to those who wait (an extra 3 months)".

Scooby South's Blobeye looks great btw!!
Old 08-23-2022, 06:40 PM   #109
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken

Member#: 238
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Quote:
Thanks for the update and fingers crossed for the return of the engine. As the saying goes, "All good things come to those who wait (an extra 3 months)".

Scooby South's Blobeye looks great btw!!
Thank you good sir

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:20 PM   #110
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Hello NASIOC friends! Been a long while since I've posted anything in here. Mostly because I've gotten close to nothing done. Per usual..
It's starting to warm up though, so I've cleaned up the garage a little bit, and started moving stuff around.
I've never posted these pics here, and excuse the mess, but this is my basement parts stash.

Finally got word that my motor was all ready to picked up.. So Bill and I drove up to Madison.

So I've been super excited about getting this thing running this year!
And then.. I became irresponsible, and started buying things.

So.. Made a friend with a 2020 STI that's getting some serious upgrades.
He hooked me up with some ridiculously good deals on his 12k mile VF48, ID1050x injectors, and I got the AEM boost gauge from him as well.
So since I bought that stuff, I figured I might as well build out my fuel system, so I got an Aeromotive A1000-6 FPR at a great price.

Planning on getting iBR fuel rails, and building my own -6AN fuel lines.
Did a bunch of reading on parallel vs series, and I will be staying series.
Looking at a nice aftermarket fuel filter setup.
Should be pretty nice, and entirely unnecessary for this otherwise stock EJ205.. But I'll be able to use all of this stuff if/when I ever go to a 2.5L motor as well.

I was off all last week because my kids were on Spring Break, so I cleaned my garage, and started tinkering with the car.
Pulled the downpipe and midpipe off that have been hanging there for a year.
Laid everything out on the ground for a cool comparison shot.

This is the COBB catted downpipe the came on the car. First time it has been off since the previous owner put it on.

When I pulled that off, I remembered that it reduced down to 2.5" to mate up to the stock catback.
I'm not really digging that, since the rest of my exhaust is going to be 3".
I'm also not really high on the idea of buying a new DP, when this one is right in front of me..

So, I think I'm (or someone more qualified) going to be cutting off that tapered section after the cat, and welding on a section of 3" pipe and a 3" 2-bolt flange.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:31 PM   #111
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

I also felt the need to test and clean up the ugly, old and dirty engine harness.
Carefully started peeling back all the old electrical tape and plastic loom, cleaning connectors, identifying and ordering replacements for broken connectors, etc.

I've stopped there, because all the loom I ordered was probably a size bigger than I should have bought.
When the small stuff arrives, I'll get back to it and finish it up. Should look great when all the joints are taped up.
Also will be replacing a broken TGV connector, one coilpack connector, and... One other that I can't remember off the top of my head.
I'm also going to cut my stock injector connectors off, and replace them with connectors for the ID1050x's.

And then yesterday... This happened.

Bought an 07 Impreza parts car.

No motor. Automatic. Interior is trashed. Driver's window is gone. Driver's front fender gone. Driver's front knuckle gone, when it was supposed to be a roller..
Yeah, it was nice backing the trailer up to it, and then finding it on 3 wheels.

Anyway, I really only wanted it for the rear doors, and the sedan quarters.
I will be doing the sedan widebody conversion that I've been dreaming about for years.
In my search, I actually made another local friend that has actually done the exact same thing, so I'll be picking his brain for tips and tricks.

I know I always end my posts with this, but hopefully I'll be posting some meaningful updates with actual progress soon.
Buying the white Hawkeye definitely added more to the whiteboard though.. so I'm thinking the wagon probably won't see the road this year either.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:43 PM   #112
500_19B
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524021
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2021 STI
2002 WRX, 2023 Crosstrek

Really great to see that you are getting back into high gear!

A lot of very nice parts have been collected!

I went through a pretty similar journey with my injector harness recently!

When I saw the hawkeye, at first I thought you were deciding to build that body out, but a widebody wagon conversion sounds very cool and will be more unique.
500_19B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:41 AM   #113
Mikku
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
World rally blue

I love reading your updates!!! Keep 'em coming please.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:02 AM   #114
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500_19B View Post
Really great to see that you are getting back into high gear!

A lot of very nice parts have been collected!

I went through a pretty similar journey with my injector harness recently!

When I saw the hawkeye, at first I thought you were deciding to build that body out, but a widebody wagon conversion sounds very cool and will be more unique.
Thanks! I've been keeping an eye on your thread. Beautiful work, as usual.
All the nuts and bolts and brackets you've had re-plated look incredible.
Really makes the work I'm doing look pretty hillbilly.. But that's ok!

Quote:
I love reading your updates!!! Keep 'em coming please.
Thanks, Mikku! Will do. Bought my fuel line kit last night, so that should be on the way.
My smaller wiring loom is supposed to arrive today, so I should be able to share my wrapped up engine harness here pretty quick.

I really need to get under the car and pull the gas tank, and also pull the rest of the interior out of the car.
I don't want to start cutting and welding while any of that stuff remains a fire hazard.
The interior is getting replaced with all of the STi interior I bought last year anyway.

The entire rear end assembly has been laying under the driver's side of the car for months..
Need to disassemble all of that, clean everything up (and probably paint) and start stuffing Whiteline bushings in everywhere.
And that's not to mention all of the front end suspension, u-brace, trans crossmember, steering rack... that I haven't touched.

Lots of stuff to do.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:42 AM   #115
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Brought my intake manifold in to work on it during my downtime.
Dismantled and cleaned everything as best as I cared to.

Then I spent the morning at my buddy's farm on Saturday cutting the Hawkeye parts car up.

And here she is, stripped of everything that I wanted.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:43 AM   #116
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Then I got back to working on my engine harness. Little package from iWire showed up with my replacement connectors.
One TGV connector, one Coilpack connector, and one Evap valve connector.

Got this half of the harness done. Wanted it to look nice like the $450+ iWire harness..

Depinned my injector connectors, pried the crimped pins off, and installed the USCAR EV6 connectors.

Pretty cool, imho! Now my harness will plug right in to these ID1050xs.
Skip ahead a little bit.. Took lots of pictures that are pretty boring.
Started working on the remaining half of the harness.

And here it is all finished. I know once the motor is back in the car, no one will even see it.. But I think it's cool.

Now... Do I go full on STi-poser, and spray the manifold wrinkle red? Or just leave it the way it is? I don't know..
Old 04-17-2023, 09:48 AM   #117
trey_way
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 533928

Great Job!
trey_way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:52 PM   #118
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Member#: 107618
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

great update! Looking forward to the wagon widebody whenever that happens! Been the dream for my own as well.
REX_WGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:27 PM   #119
Mikku
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
World rally blue

Great job on that harness!! Definitely cool and more importantly, now you know everything's done right!

If you don't paint the manifold red, would you leave it like it is now or paint it silver? Will you have any other colours in the engine bay?
Old 04-18-2023, 10:25 AM   #120
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Thanks everyone! Haven't got [/i]much[/i] else done yet, since apparently we're back to Winter again for a couple weeks..
Almost all of the interior is out of the car, save for the center console and carpet.
I'll get that out soon, and get some more work done to make another update.

Quote:
If you don't paint the manifold red, would you leave it like it is now or paint it silver? Will you have any other colours in the engine bay?
I think I'm just going to leave it the way it is. Most other parts that will be going in the bay are all black.
It's not an STi, nor is it an STi motor.. So I'll just leave it.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:20 PM   #121
500_19B
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524021
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2021 STI
2002 WRX, 2023 Crosstrek

I like how you did your harness. I think replacing the loom with that woven version is a better choice than what I did (keeping the original molded plastic loom and over-wrapping it). Where did you you source your loom? I might take that approach in the future...

You should make the intake manifold look how you like it. I did mine red (as you know) but I am not attempting to make people think it is an STI, I just like the look!

Nothing wrong with plain though! I have also seen pictures of polished intake manifolds, which look great, but that is obviously time consuming to do.

You are collecting a lot of really good parts. The car will be very impressive!
500_19B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:42 PM   #122
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500_19B View Post
I like how you did your harness. I think replacing the loom with that woven version is a better choice than what I did (keeping the original molded plastic loom and over-wrapping it). Where did you you source your loom? I might take that approach in the future...

You should make the intake manifold look how you like it. I did mine red (as you know) but I am not attempting to make people think it is an STI, I just like the look!
I got the loom on Amazon, from the seller "Alex Tech". As long as it is kept away from exhaust-level heat sources, I believe it should be fine.
Maybe it'll just melt. We'll see what happens. Then I used tesa tape on all of the joints. Probably the same cloth tape you've been using.

As for the manifold, you're right. I love how the red STi manifold looks. I still have plenty of time to make up my mind.
Everything going in to the bay so far is just black, other than the STi TMIC with its Cherry Blossom Red STi logo.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:07 PM   #123
SensibleHeat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512883
Vehicle:
2018 STi
Silver

Just stumbled on this thread and am impressed with the work you've done. Looking forward to seeing the completed car.
SensibleHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:54 PM   #124
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Welp, here comes some more progress pics. Slowly, but surely.

Radium fuel filter and master cylinder brace kit. Always wanted this kit, but saw it as Gucci-tier unnecessary ish.
Finally ponied up and used all my FlatIrons Tuning reward points on it.

iBuildRacecars fuel rails, exhaust hardware, and one of their sweet 3" stainless exhaust flanges.
Going to use that to take the 2.5" reduction on my Cobb downpipe back up to the proper 3" like I mentioned in one of my previous posts.

I was going to (nervously) reuse my factory head bolts.. But I found a guy selling a brand new set of ARP studs for cheap.

And that should do it for my typical lame pictures of parts in boxes.
On to actual bits of work. Sandblasting, painting, stripping, etc.

Coolant crossover pipe. I'm doing stuff like this with the idea that they hopefully won't ever corrode again.
Potential aesthetic improvements are for the most part just byproducts.

Gutted most of the rest of my interior. I still plan on pulling the headliner and all the other plastics.
Front seats, carpet, stupid Cerwin Vega amp that the previous owner decided to mount to the floor with wood screws.. All finally out of the car.

Back when the car ran, I was always pretty sure it had a short shifter. Turns out I was right, as I found this TWM unit.
Seemingly out of business now, but I did find some positive review threads on the shifter here on NASIOC.

500_19B's words got through to me, and I decided to go for it.
Although, I apparently didn't take any pics of the intake manifold, I brought my valve covers and intake manifold back to work.

Sandblasted both to get ready for etch primer and paint.

Masked everything off to the best of my ability, set up a pretty hillbilly paint booth in my garage, and started laying down primer and paint.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:57 PM   #125
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

So.. I admittedly got ahead of myself and timed all of that VERY poorly.
Family was home, and I didn't want to stink all of them out, so I waited till the next morning to bake them.
Either I waited too long, or didn't put down enough of the VHT Wrinkle Red, because it came out like crap..
I'm NOT redoing it though. It's fine. I'm over it. I'll do it or have it done right if/when I build an EJ25.

Holy crap does that stink. And no amount of baking would fix the dead spots. Oh well.
Still looks cool, and you probably won't even be able to see the problem areas when it's all nestled in the engine bay.

Then I pulled this disgusting, tired, 20 year old POS out with the intention of giving it a new lease on life.

Grabbed a rebuild kit from Maniac Electric Motors, a few new allen drive fasteners after drilling out the old ones, and got to cleaning and sandblasting.

Soldered in the new regulator with new brushes.

Masked off the steel center part of the stator, and hung it and the bracketry and bearing keeper for paint.

Sprayed the sandblasted housing halves Satin Clear.

And then reassembled everything after this cool new Perrin aluminum pulley showed up. I think it looks pretty rad.

Well that's my picture limit on this second post, and I doubt anyone wants to see every picture I took of the alternator guts, so I'll call it here.

Going to keep knocking things out little by little, and have another update for you all in a while. Thanks for looking!