Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday June 30, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #501
protivakid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265148
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_Europe View Post
One question,

My car, STI MY18 came with the unit 86201VA830 and without Starlink SOS button. Will the unit 86431VA60, No NAV, from a MY20 WRX work? Looking to the connectors they both looks the same and have the same number of pins.

I know that the unit from 2019, 86431VA620, no NAV, is plug and play. Did something change from 2019 to 2020?

The MRX MY20's radio also comes with the telematics unit.

THX
I don't think anything changed between the 2019 & 2020. I have a 2020 radio in one of my cars and it worked the same as the 2019 did.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #502
S2000_Europe
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 297373
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South East
Vehicle:
2018 STI Type RA
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
I don't think anything changed between the 2019 & 2020. I have a 2020 radio in one of my cars and it worked the same as the 2019 did.


Thanks!
S2000_Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:13 AM   #503
Asymmetry
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92646
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney
Vehicle:
MY03 WRX Toaster
Silver

Smile Got MY21 unit to work on MY17

Thanks everyone who posted here, I got a lot of info and managed to do the upgrade on my car with all your help.

This is my DIY for people wanting to upgrade their stereo to new model factory head unit that has android auto, this guide is applicable to MY16-on WRX and STI.

I have a 2017 STI premium with Harmon Kardon system and wanted to upgrade to a factory Android auto headunit. This was definably a rabbit hole after I discovered as a direct head unit swap didn’t work (no sound).
Huge thank you to Brian at http://www.autoharnesshouse.com no way I would have been able to solve this without his expertise. Also huge thank you to LowKey Garage (lowkey_garage_2179) here in Australia for supplying me all the parts in new condition and low prices. Parts here came off a crashed MY21 STI.

Brian explained to me that the rules with upgrading a OE head unit, the key is the amplifier. So 2016-2018 WRX/STI use amplifier PN: 86221VA030. So in theory can upgrade a 2016 to 2018 headunit without changing the amp. Android auto headunits appeared in MY2019 and require a different amp PN: 86221VA050 which come on MY19 to MY21. Custom harness is required that fits onto the amp, wiring is different again if you have telematics unit, thankfully mine didn’t. Below is the parts you need;
Shopping list;

• Custom wiring harness from http://www.autoharnesshouse.com . This has 3 pieces, 1. Main harness for the amplifier, 16-18 amplifiers have 3 plugs, MY19+ have two plug, so this requires a custom wiring harness for MY19+ amps to work on cars pre MY19. 2. high power USB cable for Audio Auxiliary Jack, 3. Ground wire for system to shut off when car is locked.
• Android auto factory headunit, US spec one is PN: 86431VA680 Radio Control Unit (2021), 86431VA740 (2020). I have PN: 86471VA230 (ADM) which apparently doesn’t exist.
• 86221VA050 Power Amplifier, suits MY19-MY21
• 86257VA030 Audio Auxiliary Jack, this is the higher amperage USB power connector. Also some people report glitchy USB issue using their older USB jack with new unit. Says its for accent but attached picture show its the unit I used.
• 83154VA300 , SW AY SATELLITE. Steering wheel Switch assembly, otherwise your buttons are all messed up, suits MY19-MY21.
• WRX STI workshop manual, can download for free. Essential if you don’t want to damage your car pulling trim off.
• Cheap Trim removal kit, this its bastard of a job and those clips will be stuck in the chassis. Without these tools you will damage your car and destroy the clips without the proper tools.
Optional
• DAB+ radio antenna, that’s an Australian thing but I think US has Sirus XM, so that may need an additional antenna.
• Extension piece for above aerial, the head unit is recessed standard plugs wont seat correctly.

Procedure (following workshop manual instructions of each step)

Front
1. Park somewhere where you can work and leave it for 2 days in pieces.
2. Disconnect battery, remove old headunit, swap over HVAC controls to new headunit.
3. Attach custom USB ground wire to new head unit, I attached the cable to one of the bolts connecting to headunit case as the unit case is grounded.
4. Remove Audio Auxiliary Jack, install new jack with USB custom harness and your old USB data connector. There are clips that you can squeeze to release the unit, so you don’t need to remove the associated trim, just the jack unit.
5. Install your DAB+/SirusXM aerial where appropriate, I stuck mine under the centre console in front of dash display.
6. Loosely fit head unit, connect all plugs including USB custom harness and aerial. Take care to secure cable with cable ties so you won’t get dash rattles. I loosely put the unit in with two bolts at top at this stage.

Back

1. Remove rear parcel shelf, this requires basically all the back trim to be removed, see manual. This is were the clip removal tools will come in handy. Note to account for all clips and padding. Do it wrong you will introduce rattles.
2. Remove amplifier, take care to unclip the harness from the amp. I had to remove the amp cover to get to one of the clips.
3. Attach rear custom harness to amp and install amp. I hung the amp loosly via one clip, then I jammed the harness and excess cable in space between amp and body. Then tighten down.

Front again

1. Now test the system, see if you can get sound and headunit works, I used the speaker control menu to test individual speakers. Steering buttons are a mess up but don’t worry about it now. Check USB function and system powers off when car is locked.
2. If successful can properly reinstall rear trim, head unit and associated trim.
3. Swap over steering switches.
4. Done

Hope this helps some people. This is a PITA, only for people that want a factory unit. Will take 2 days of swearing for a weekend wrencher like me. In contrast I did a cheap aliexpress headunit on my daily with a android auto, dash cam and DAB radio, that less than a hour, took an extra hour for the dash cam. So strongly consider the aftermarket unit, less work, way cheaper and even the cheapies units are pretty good.







Asymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #504
protivakid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265148
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymmetry View Post
Thanks everyone who posted here, I got a lot of info and managed to do the upgrade on my car with all your help.

This is my DIY for people wanting to upgrade their stereo to new model factory head unit that has android auto, this guide is applicable to MY16-on WRX and STI.

I have a 2017 STI premium with Harmon Kardon system and wanted to upgrade to a factory Android auto headunit. This was definably a rabbit hole after I discovered as a direct head unit swap didn’t work (no sound).
Huge thank you to Brian at http://www.autoharnesshouse.com no way I would have been able to solve this without his expertise. Also huge thank you to LowKey Garage (lowkey_garage_2179) here in Australia for supplying me all the parts in new condition and low prices. Parts here came off a crashed MY21 STI.

Brian explained to me that the rules with upgrading a OE head unit, the key is the amplifier. So 2016-2018 WRX/STI use amplifier PN: 86221VA030. So in theory can upgrade a 2016 to 2018 headunit without changing the amp. Android auto headunits appeared in MY2019 and require a different amp PN: 86221VA050 which come on MY19 to MY21. Custom harness is required that fits onto the amp, wiring is different again if you have telematics unit, thankfully mine didn’t. Below is the parts you need;
Shopping list;

• Custom wiring harness from http://www.autoharnesshouse.com . This has 3 pieces, 1. Main harness for the amplifier, 16-18 amplifiers have 3 plugs, MY19+ have two plug, so this requires a custom wiring harness for MY19+ amps to work on cars pre MY19. 2. high power USB cable for Audio Auxiliary Jack, 3. Ground wire for system to shut off when car is locked.
• Android auto factory headunit, US spec one is PN: 86431VA680 Radio Control Unit (2021), 86431VA740 (2020). I have PN: 86471VA230 (ADM) which apparently doesn’t exist.
• 86221VA050 Power Amplifier, suits MY19-MY21
• 86257VA030 Audio Auxiliary Jack, this is the higher amperage USB power connector. Also some people report glitchy USB issue using their older USB jack with new unit. Says its for accent but attached picture show its the unit I used.
• 83154VA300 , SW AY SATELLITE. Steering wheel Switch assembly, otherwise your buttons are all messed up, suits MY19-MY21.
• WRX STI workshop manual, can download for free. Essential if you don’t want to damage your car pulling trim off.
• Cheap Trim removal kit, this its bastard of a job and those clips will be stuck in the chassis. Without these tools you will damage your car and destroy the clips without the proper tools.
Optional
• DAB+ radio antenna, that’s an Australian thing but I think US has Sirus XM, so that may need an additional antenna.
• Extension piece for above aerial, the head unit is recessed standard plugs wont seat correctly.

Procedure (following workshop manual instructions of each step)

Front
1. Park somewhere where you can work and leave it for 2 days in pieces.
2. Disconnect battery, remove old headunit, swap over HVAC controls to new headunit.
3. Attach custom USB ground wire to new head unit, I attached the cable to one of the bolts connecting to headunit case as the unit case is grounded.
4. Remove Audio Auxiliary Jack, install new jack with USB custom harness and your old USB data connector. There are clips that you can squeeze to release the unit, so you don’t need to remove the associated trim, just the jack unit.
5. Install your DAB+/SirusXM aerial where appropriate, I stuck mine under the centre console in front of dash display.
6. Loosely fit head unit, connect all plugs including USB custom harness and aerial. Take care to secure cable with cable ties so you won’t get dash rattles. I loosely put the unit in with two bolts at top at this stage.

Back

1. Remove rear parcel shelf, this requires basically all the back trim to be removed, see manual. This is were the clip removal tools will come in handy. Note to account for all clips and padding. Do it wrong you will introduce rattles.
2. Remove amplifier, take care to unclip the harness from the amp. I had to remove the amp cover to get to one of the clips.
3. Attach rear custom harness to amp and install amp. I hung the amp loosly via one clip, then I jammed the harness and excess cable in space between amp and body. Then tighten down.

Front again

1. Now test the system, see if you can get sound and headunit works, I used the speaker control menu to test individual speakers. Steering buttons are a mess up but don’t worry about it now. Check USB function and system powers off when car is locked.
2. If successful can properly reinstall rear trim, head unit and associated trim.
3. Swap over steering switches.
4. Done

Hope this helps some people. This is a PITA, only for people that want a factory unit. Will take 2 days of swearing for a weekend wrencher like me. In contrast I did a cheap aliexpress headunit on my daily with a android auto, dash cam and DAB radio, that less than a hour, took an extra hour for the dash cam. So strongly consider the aftermarket unit, less work, way cheaper and even the cheapies units are pretty good.







Mind my asking what autoharnesshouse charged for the adapter they made up?
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:43 PM   #505
Asymmetry
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92646
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney
Vehicle:
MY03 WRX Toaster
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
Mind my asking what autoharnesshouse charged for the adapter they made up?
Email Brian with you car model/MY and headunit you want to use. Fair fraction of the cost for me was shipping to Australia.
Asymmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:19 PM   #506
protivakid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265148
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymmetry View Post
Email Brian with you car model/MY and headunit you want to use. Fair fraction of the cost for me was shipping to Australia.
I already did the swap in both of my cars. I made the harnesses myself but was curious what he charged.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:04 PM   #507
99taws6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 519154
Join Date: Oct 2020
Default

Does anyone know where I can get the 5 pin connector for the camera for my WRX? My 2016 unit has the camera in the 28 pin, but the 2020 I got has a separate 5 pin on the head unit. I need that plug so that I can complete my swap. Thanks.
99taws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:06 PM   #508
aiyman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 528383
Join Date: Jan 2022
Default Tourbleshooting

Hey I just finished changing everything out new amp, usb module, steering wheel controls, and head unit. I went to start everything up for the first time and the head unit just keeps restarting every 5 seconds. I got to the software settings for a quick second and 8t said the software version is rel4.18.20.50 i dont know if that matters but if anyone could help out that would be great I'm lost here.
aiyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:48 PM   #509
protivakid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265148
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyman View Post
Hey I just finished changing everything out new amp, usb module, steering wheel controls, and head unit. I went to start everything up for the first time and the head unit just keeps restarting every 5 seconds. I got to the software settings for a quick second and 8t said the software version is rel4.18.20.50 i dont know if that matters but if anyone could help out that would be great I'm lost here.
I've done several of these swaps now and I had a radio I got online doing something very similar. Resetting every 10 seconds. What I found was that during shipping the volume knob was hit so hard that it actually cracked the PCB breakout that's used for the knob. I tried to bridge the circuit but it still had the same issue. Take apart the faceplate pcb and examine it to see if its cracked.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:34 PM   #510
aiyman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 528383
Join Date: Jan 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
I've done several of these swaps now and I had a radio I got online doing something very similar. Resetting every 10 seconds. What I found was that during shipping the volume knob was hit so hard that it actually cracked the PCB breakout that's used for the knob. I tried to bridge the circuit but it still had the same issue. Take apart the faceplate pcb and examine it to see if its cracked.
I actually did that last night and found out that's exactly what happened to mine too. I took it to a shop to get bridged as well and it didn't work. I think these boards were designed to break at that specific spot. But did you find a solution to it or was the head unit junk.

Last edited by aiyman; 04-06-2022 at 09:10 PM.
aiyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #511
protivakid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265148
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyman View Post
I actually did that last night and found out that's exactly what happened to mine too. I took it to a shop to get bridged as well and it didn't work. I think these boards were designed to break at that specific spot. But did you find a solution to it or was the head unit junk.
I think they design the board to flex there so that people pressing the volume in doesn't destroy the pcb. Though auto part sellers not used to handling electronics often use very poor packing material when shipping these.

Unfortunately no, I'm very handy at soldering but after multiple attempts I could sometimes get the radio to behave 30-60 minutes and then after a few pushes of volume it would go right back to doing what it did. I believe it's a multi layer pcb so even though I fixed the top connections it would have been a job to do everything.

What I eventually did was bought a cheap no power radio on ebay and swapped the good faceplate from that, over to the bad volume radio with the good base to make 1 working franken-radio haha.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #512
aiyman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 528383
Join Date: Jan 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
I think they design the board to flex there so that people pressing the volume in doesn't destroy the pcb. Though auto part sellers not used to handling electronics often use very poor packing material when shipping these.

Unfortunately no, I'm very handy at soldering but after multiple attempts I could sometimes get the radio to behave 30-60 minutes and then after a few pushes of volume it would go right back to doing what it did. I believe it's a multi layer pcb so even though I fixed the top connections it would have been a job to do everything.

What I eventually did was bought a cheap no power radio on ebay and swapped the good faceplate from that, over to the bad volume radio with the good base to make 1 working franken-radio haha.
ok so the faceplate you swap on does it have to be the exact same model? because I found someone offering me a 2021 phone headunit but my car had a 2018 map unit in it and i was replacing it with a 2019 map unit
aiyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:29 AM   #513
Klwfe
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 529661
Join Date: Apr 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymmetry View Post
Thanks everyone who posted here, I got a lot of info and managed to do the upgrade on my car with all your help.

This is my DIY for people wanting to upgrade their stereo to new model factory head unit that has android auto, this guide is applicable to MY16-on WRX and STI.

I have a 2017 STI premium with Harmon Kardon system and wanted to upgrade to a factory Android auto headunit. This was definably a rabbit hole after I discovered as a direct head unit swap didn’t work (no sound).
Huge thank you to Brian at http://www.autoharnesshouse.com no way I would have been able to solve this without his expertise. Also huge thank you to LowKey Garage (lowkey_garage_2179) here in Australia for supplying me all the parts in new condition and low prices. Parts here came off a crashed MY21 STI.

Brian explained to me that the rules with upgrading a OE head unit, the key is the amplifier. So 2016-2018 WRX/STI use amplifier PN: 86221VA030. So in theory can upgrade a 2016 to 2018 headunit without changing the amp. Android auto headunits appeared in MY2019 and require a different amp PN: 86221VA050 which come on MY19 to MY21. Custom harness is required that fits onto the amp, wiring is different again if you have telematics unit, thankfully mine didn’t. Below is the parts you need;
Shopping list;

• Custom wiring harness from http://www.autoharnesshouse.com . This has 3 pieces, 1. Main harness for the amplifier, 16-18 amplifiers have 3 plugs, MY19+ have two plug, so this requires a custom wiring harness for MY19+ amps to work on cars pre MY19. 2. high power USB cable for Audio Auxiliary Jack, 3. Ground wire for system to shut off when car is locked.
• Android auto factory headunit, US spec one is PN: 86431VA680 Radio Control Unit (2021), 86431VA740 (2020). I have PN: 86471VA230 (ADM) which apparently doesn’t exist.
• 86221VA050 Power Amplifier, suits MY19-MY21
• 86257VA030 Audio Auxiliary Jack, this is the higher amperage USB power connector. Also some people report glitchy USB issue using their older USB jack with new unit. Says its for accent but attached picture show its the unit I used.
• 83154VA300 , SW AY SATELLITE. Steering wheel Switch assembly, otherwise your buttons are all messed up, suits MY19-MY21.
• WRX STI workshop manual, can download for free. Essential if you don’t want to damage your car pulling trim off.
• Cheap Trim removal kit, this its bastard of a job and those clips will be stuck in the chassis. Without these tools you will damage your car and destroy the clips without the proper tools.
Optional
• DAB+ radio antenna, that’s an Australian thing but I think US has Sirus XM, so that may need an additional antenna.
• Extension piece for above aerial, the head unit is recessed standard plugs wont seat correctly.

Procedure (following workshop manual instructions of each step)

Front
1. Park somewhere where you can work and leave it for 2 days in pieces.
2. Disconnect battery, remove old headunit, swap over HVAC controls to new headunit.
3. Attach custom USB ground wire to new head unit, I attached the cable to one of the bolts connecting to headunit case as the unit case is grounded.
4. Remove Audio Auxiliary Jack, install new jack with USB custom harness and your old USB data connector. There are clips that you can squeeze to release the unit, so you don’t need to remove the associated trim, just the jack unit.
5. Install your DAB+/SirusXM aerial where appropriate, I stuck mine under the centre console in front of dash display.
6. Loosely fit head unit, connect all plugs including USB custom harness and aerial. Take care to secure cable with cable ties so you won’t get dash rattles. I loosely put the unit in with two bolts at top at this stage.

Back

1. Remove rear parcel shelf, this requires basically all the back trim to be removed, see manual. This is were the clip removal tools will come in handy. Note to account for all clips and padding. Do it wrong you will introduce rattles.
2. Remove amplifier, take care to unclip the harness from the amp. I had to remove the amp cover to get to one of the clips.
3. Attach rear custom harness to amp and install amp. I hung the amp loosly via one clip, then I jammed the harness and excess cable in space between amp and body. Then tighten down.

Front again

1. Now test the system, see if you can get sound and headunit works, I used the speaker control menu to test individual speakers. Steering buttons are a mess up but don’t worry about it now. Check USB function and system powers off when car is locked.
2. If successful can properly reinstall rear trim, head unit and associated trim.
3. Swap over steering switches.
4. Done

Hope this helps some people. This is a PITA, only for people that want a factory unit. Will take 2 days of swearing for a weekend wrencher like me. In contrast I did a cheap aliexpress headunit on my daily with a android auto, dash cam and DAB radio, that less than a hour, took an extra hour for the dash cam. So strongly consider the aftermarket unit, less work, way cheaper and even the cheapies units are pretty good.









what do you mean by aerial extension piece?
Klwfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:04 PM   #514
aiyman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 528383
Join Date: Jan 2022
Default

does anyone here happen to have an extra 19+ map headunit that they would sell cheap the cd slot can be broken I just need the faceplate or the motherboard off it.
aiyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:03 PM   #515
Ghackt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 529700
Join Date: Apr 2022
Default

It’s a bummer they only did this from 2019 and up. I already replaced my HU in my 2018 because of the lacking technology.
Ghackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:03 PM   #516
jctek88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 490123
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

anyone know where I can source a 19+ amp 86221VA050 that's not $500?
jctek88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #517
moisture
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 525828
Join Date: Jul 2021
Vehicle:
2018 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KainXS View Post
Just Tried it on a 2018 Forester and from what I see

USB/AUX works
Android Auto/Carplay Works
Dimming works
CD Player works
XM works (complained about antenna but worked anyway)
Bluetooth works
Backup Camera works

Pretty much everything works besides the radio takes about 3 minutes to turn off and does not turn white like snakes but actually stays on which I prefer VS stock out and the steering wheel controls(which I will fix later) I did have the starlink problem like blazing but the same fix works fine.

I'm going to reinstall it and leave it in once I get my arduino to remap the steering wheel controls because the sound quality is better in my car VS stock.(with my kenwood speakers it is) I's really a shame subaru does not offer an option to just get this as an option because if you have a WRX all you need to do is swap the switch and the starlink connector any it will work besides the 3 minute problem which I think most won't care about anyway.(subaru can probably easily fix this)


Pic of radio with car off
Want to get this done on my base model Forester with manual climate controls. Could I get 86431VA620 and swap my manual climate controls or do I need to get 2019 WRX base 86134VA600?
moisture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #518
moisture
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 525828
Join Date: Jul 2021
Vehicle:
2018 Forester

Default

duplicate post

Last edited by moisture; 05-11-2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: duplicate post
moisture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:09 PM   #519
protivakid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265148
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KainXS View Post
Just Tried it on a 2018 Forester and from what I see

USB/AUX works
Android Auto/Carplay Works
Dimming works
CD Player works
XM works (complained about antenna but worked anyway)
Bluetooth works
Backup Camera works

Pretty much everything works besides the radio takes about 3 minutes to turn off and does not turn white like snakes but actually stays on which I prefer VS stock out and the steering wheel controls(which I will fix later) I did have the starlink problem like blazing but the same fix works fine.

I'm going to reinstall it and leave it in once I get my arduino to remap the steering wheel controls because the sound quality is better in my car VS stock.(with my kenwood speakers it is) I's really a shame subaru does not offer an option to just get this as an option because if you have a WRX all you need to do is swap the switch and the starlink connector any it will work besides the 3 minute problem which I think most won't care about anyway.(subaru can probably easily fix this)


Pic of radio with car off
Did you ever get anywhere with the arduino steering wheel control middle layer?
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:44 PM   #520
Joff
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505819
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Adelaide - South Australia
Vehicle:
MY17 Subaru XV
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
Did you ever get anywhere with the arduino steering wheel control middle layer?

Yes Im curious about this too or one of those metra units if one actually works for this exact transplant. The WRX STI MY19 Steering wheel as a complete swap is quite exy and needed for this transplant from WRX to XV set up, sadly the design ergonomics are quite different in regards to the Switch/control unit not fitting into an XV steering wheel they are quite different shapes.

Last edited by Joff; 05-14-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Joff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:11 PM   #521
ggrims18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 529855
Join Date: May 2022
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Sonic Yellow

Default

I have heard the Harness will not accept a new head unit....
ggrims18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:27 AM   #522
CrimsonFrost1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358933
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Ferndale, MD
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STi
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
This seller made one that sold on eBay, maybe reach out to them.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/andrew_l_s?...75.m3561.l2559

That said the one thing they are not selling though is the door jam harness. Without it your radio will always stay on for 3 minutes after you stop the car. They also didn't mention that at least 2016 owners will need a newer backup camera for the guide lines to work.
I'd like to ask for clarification with this: if I *do not* use the door jam harness, the system will always stay on for 3 minutes after I hit the start/stop switch no matter what I do next (including opening the driver's door), or will it stop as soon as I open the driver's door, but otherwise stay on for 3 minutes if I just sat in the car after hitting the switch? I've read through your guide and I was just never clear on this point.
CrimsonFrost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:59 AM   #523
CrimsonFrost1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358933
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Ferndale, MD
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STi
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctek88 View Post
anyone know where I can source a 19+ amp 86221VA050 that's not $500?
Nah, and the best I could personally find was https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-power-amp-ay~86221va050.html?vin=&make=Subaru&model=WRX%20ST I&year=2019&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=(2=25 7;4=6MT;5=STILW)

I keep checking eBay, but nothing so far.
CrimsonFrost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #524
protivakid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265148
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFrost1 View Post
I'd like to ask for clarification with this: if I *do not* use the door jam harness, the system will always stay on for 3 minutes after I hit the start/stop switch no matter what I do next (including opening the driver's door), or will it stop as soon as I open the driver's door, but otherwise stay on for 3 minutes if I just sat in the car after hitting the switch? I've read through your guide and I was just never clear on this point.
If you do not use the door jam harness the radio will have no idea if you'd exited the vehicle or not. It will always remain on playing music for 3 minutes after you turn off the ignition even if you get out and walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFrost1 View Post
Nah, and the best I could personally find was https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/part...;4=6MT;5=STILW)

I keep checking eBay, but nothing so far.
Assuming you are in the US, have you tried car-part.com ? Look for wrecked WRX vehicles and scan images for MAP button radios. Then if found email the salvage yard asking if they will sell you the trunk mounted amplifier.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:51 PM   #525
Joff
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505819
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Adelaide - South Australia
Vehicle:
MY17 Subaru XV
Crystal White Pearl

Default

I had Brian at AHH to earth out the door jam 3 min feature single wire...this appears to be linked into the harness he made for me. My personal opinion? what a PITA feature to even have, mine turns off with the ignition when I park and lock up etc. My Harness was about 1.2 meters in length to cover distance to the amp under my drivers seat. I did snake the wire from that single Connector though as I was thinking JUST IN CASE but its a mute point for my Harness set up. Mine was quite complicated adding a FV camera junction box into the mix and works very well in unison with the MY19 HU large display via a 3 position switch. I intend to be remod to the Enter/View button as a further custom hack for a factory feel using a 10 second relay in line. Why do I do this to myself?

Last edited by Joff; 05-25-2022 at 05:57 AM.
Joff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.