Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #476
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211294

A lot of progress since I have been on here. I on the other hand have not made any progress since my last post. To be honest I kind of gave up but with protivakid last post the interset has been tickled.
silvergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #477
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265148
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergc View Post
Yes. Please pm me the details.

Thank you
PM Sent. Let us know how it goes!

I am thinking all that is needed is a short adapter between the existing 2015-2018 style connectors in the trunk, and the 2019-2020 connectors on the new version of the amp. BTW the 2019 & 2020 AMP is the same part number despite the 19/20 radios having unique numbers.

From there the only other thing that looks different is that 12-pin single blue wire door plug on the back of the 2019+ HU. It's optional, the radio itself will turn off after 3 minutes without it, but what it does is connect to the door switch to turn the radio off as soon as the door opens. If your radio didn't come with pigtails autoharnesshouse.com does have this connector but it's a bit pricey at $42.

I'll be building everything to try on my 2016 WRX in the next couple weeks, I will report back after with full details and if all is well don't mind building you a harness for pretty much cost.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #478
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjson View Post
Well, after living with the 2019 Phone headunit for awhile, I ended up going back aftermarket (https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../DMH-WT7600NEX).

It was working fine, but in the end I missed wireless carplay and a bigger floating screen.

That being said, I am willing to sell all of my OEM equipment. I have a 2019 Phone headunit, 2.1 A USB module, steering wheel controls (new), AXXESS TYTO, as well as my custom wiring harness. I will try to post some pictures in the next few days if anyone is interested. Thanks for all amazing work the group did to sort this out.
PayPal sent last weekend. When you can PM me with a tracking#. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #479
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490337

PM sent. It shipped on Wednesday. Sorry, I updated the PayPal transaction with the tracking number and it said it would email it to you.
brettjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:27 PM   #480
Luishuerta40
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518617
Default How do I make this harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjson View Post
I wired the harness and installed the headunit and it seems to be working.

This is my setup:
2016 WRX with OEM HK/NAV
New HU: 2019 "PHONE" headunit (nomn-hk/nav)
Axxess TYTO-2
Custom harness from Autoharnesshouse
2019 USB hub

Working:
- Audio (front, rear, fade, balance)
- Radio, XM, Bluetooth
- Apple Carplay
- Bright signal (dims with headlights)
- OTA firmware update
- Radio turns on and off with car turning on and off
- OEM microphone
- Back-up cam (however does not have lines)
- Steering wheel controls*
*I have not yet installed the 2019 steering wheel buttons, but the current buttons work but just do the wrong thing, so I am assuming there will not be an issue here

Not tested:
- Android Auto (don't have android phone)
- Speed responsive volume

Not working/issue/caveat:
- the dimmer dial does not change the display brightness, the headlights on and off work for dimming the screen, but the fine tune adjustments doesn't work, but you can adjust it in the software, so no big deal
- you will lose OEM nav
- when the radio is on but muted there is a very slight hum from speakers, I did not notice this wth the engine on, I only noticed it when the engine off in the garage, so I do not think it will be noticeable while driving
- i have a 2016 which was pre-telematics module, I do not know how that would work with this

Installation notes:
- overall pretty easy
- had to soldier/crimp wires from the Axxess harness to the harness from Brian
- no splicing on the car, easily can return to 100% stock

I will report back after testing it for a week or so and see if any issues pop up. As far as detailed instructions, let me know if anyone is interested and I can go into more detail on how to make the harness.
How do I make this harness
Luishuerta40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #481
Mreng
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518311
Default Early 2015 H/U upgrade to 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
Thanks, I mostly wanted to dump all the info while it was still fresh in my brain in the hopes of helping someone else.

Correct, no 2013-2017 Crosstrek came with an Amp so I had to do more work in order to add that as well. This now got me itching to try the same swap in my 2016 WRX. For that car though I wouldn't have to build the sender / receiver lines I talked about in my guide. If it was necessary to swap in a 2019 Amp, I'd think the adapter harness would need to be at the Amp end in the trunk.

Using those two sections from the 2018 & 2019 guides I linked a couple months back, the wiring to the amp looks pretty much the same. The only real difference I see is that for the 2018's, the radio sends the speed signal to the amp which I assume controls volume based on speed. On the 2019's however this signal only seems to go to the radio which I assume then tells the 2019 amp to Vol+/- depending on speed. There other minor difference is that the shield ground wire on the 2018 connects to both the radio and the amp, where as on the 2019 it only connects to the radio end.

I can't see either of these leading to the no sound issue when @silvergc tried so I might then assume that you were correct months back that the 2019 Amp is different internally and that perhaps a 2019 Radio cannot properly communicate with a 2018 Amp.
I’m looking to do this upgrade. Can you please advise if you got it done and what was required?
I’ve fitted the later head unit and had no sound but otherwise everything seemed to work.
Mreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #482
thwrightstuff
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 358745
Vehicle:
2017 Subaru WRX
World Rally Blue

What about doing this for a 2017 WRX with the base unit, non-HK? I previously updated mine to the 2016 Forester premium radio so I could have better sound quality output, but now that I have an iPhone, I gotta have the Carplay.
thwrightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #483
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Just wanted to give an update. The 2016-2018 to 2019-2020 Amp translation harness has been built. I plan to get out in the garage this weekend to test it. Why wouldn't this work on a 2015? Well referring to the service manual I noticed that two data lines pin7 & pin8 on connector R386 are not present on the 2015 models. Sure you could solve this by running two wires all the way from the amp to the radio, but a short harness like the one I built wouldn't be possible.

Better wire wrapping and shielding will be put in place once I test the harness. Open for now in case I need to change anything. Tips for next time would be to stagger the cuts on the wires so if any of the strands made their way through the heat shrink wrap there would be less possibility of a short. Per usual everything is plug & play, completely reversible, and requires no cutting or splicing to my 2016 WRX.

Comparison showing the 15-18 Style amp connectors and the connectors on my harness.

Last edited by protivakid; 10-01-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #484
Killah_Cam
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519279

I just wish the stock sound system on the 2020 wrx wasn't so underpowered. Honestly I've had about 8 cars in my life and this has been hands down the worst audio system by. Ar
Killah_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #485
maronsp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 517212
Default See the connections from 2020 WRX Sti and 2018 WRX Sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by phd12v View Post
has anyone got a 19 yet that has it??? id be interested to see the back side of it. It looks from what i found to be the same "sized" radio so it could be possible to do. I wonder if it has more communication though than the 18
This just looks like it can be a straight swap. The only difference I am seeing is the 8 pin connector which I am finding out is not necessary. Anyone done the swap yet?

maronsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #486
maronsp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 517212
Default See Pic

maronsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #487
yizk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 438030

Quote:
Just wanted to give an update. The 2016-2018 to 2019-2020 Amp translation harness has been built. I plan to get out in the garage this weekend to test it. Why wouldn't this work on a 2015? Well referring to the service manual I noticed that two data lines pin7 & pin8 on connector R386 are not present on the 2015 models. Sure you could solve this by running two wires all the way from the amp to the radio, but a short harness like the one I built wouldn't be possible.

Better wire wrapping and shielding will be put in place once I test the harness. Open for now in case I need to change anything. Tips for next time would be to stagger the cuts on the wires so if any of the strands made their way through the heat shrink wrap there would be less possibility of a short. Per usual everything is plug & play, completely reversible, and requires no cutting or splicing to my 2016 WRX.

any update on this? thanks!
yizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #488
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by yizk View Post
any update on this? thanks!
Hey yeah actually I finished it all up and it's been working great. No one seemed overly excited from my last post so I hadn't shared haha. I actually have a nearly complete guide written but between then and now my wife and I welcomed our first child into the world so things have been a little busy over here.

I will polish up the guide, snap a few more pics, and share it out here, just give me a week or so
Old 12-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #489
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211294

Quote:
Hey yeah actually I finished it all up and it's been working great. No one seemed overly excited from my last post so I hadn't shared haha. I actually have a nearly complete guide written but between then and now my wife and I welcomed our first child into the world so things have been a little busy over here.

I will polish up the guide, snap a few more pics, and share it out here, just give me a week or so
Congratulations on the new addition. I hope mom and the baby are doing well.

I am still trying to source a 2019 amp with the connectors.
silvergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #490
su_ba_roooo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 418242
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

I finished the title in my head.... BUT the head units in all of them are still junk...
su_ba_roooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #491
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergc View Post
Congratulations on the new addition. I hope mom and the baby are doing well.

I am still trying to source a 2019 amp with the connectors.
I got lucky on eBay that I found a second amp for $99 USD, but no connectors so I had to spend another $60 on a complete floor harness and hack off the two trunk connectors I needed. Still not bad overall.

Thank you for the congrats, mom is recovering well and the baby overall is doing good. Just not a lot of sleep over here haha
Old 12-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #492
waltersh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 447706
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Base
CWP

Oh man, this would be awesome. Sub'd for sure.
waltersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #493
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Welp here it is, I'm pretty from mid-night baby feedings so there are probably typos etc but I got the guide together with a few pics: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...2#post46479752

Final Pic

Last edited by protivakid; 12-14-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #494
ark1214
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435064

Hey, I've been pouring over your post the last few days! Big thanks for posting it. Congrats on the new baby.

I'm coming from 2016 STI H/K Nav and switched over to an Idoing Android unit earlier in the summer but am not completely satisfied. While it has all the functionalities and looks beautiful, it is just too buggy. The unit is essentially useless without data (it's a pain to enable hotspot every time you get in the car and the wifi pickup/connect is slow). I even brought a data only SIM card so I wouldn't have to touch it before driving off. But the 4G only worked 70% of the time compared to the phone. Occasional reboots, app crashes, UI is terrible, can't play music over cable (bluetooth audio only) from iphone unless doing Carplay which is not reliable. I can go on and on, but I made my choice and decided to live with it with the limited driving anyways.

That was until I saw your post which has me wanting to do the same for the exact same reasons! I've even begin search for used 2019+ MAP unit and all the related components. So thank you for sharing your process. I was also kinda surprised that your post didn't get a lot of attention, but I guess a lot folks in this forum that want to replace the radio are doing it for the audio upgrade so they wouldn't be interested with the factory setup.
ark1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #495
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1214 View Post
Hey, I've been pouring over your post the last few days! Big thanks for posting it. Congrats on the new baby.

I'm coming from 2016 STI H/K Nav and switched over to an Idoing Android unit earlier in the summer but am not completely satisfied. While it has all the functionalities and looks beautiful, it is just too buggy. The unit is essentially useless without data (it's a pain to enable hotspot every time you get in the car and the wifi pickup/connect is slow). I even brought a data only SIM card so I wouldn't have to touch it before driving off. But the 4G only worked 70% of the time compared to the phone. Occasional reboots, app crashes, UI is terrible, can't play music over cable (bluetooth audio only) from iphone unless doing Carplay which is not reliable. I can go on and on, but I made my choice and decided to live with it with the limited driving anyways.

That was until I saw your post which has me wanting to do the same for the exact same reasons! I've even begin search for used 2019+ MAP unit and all the related components. So thank you for sharing your process. I was also kinda surprised that your post didn't get a lot of attention, but I guess a lot folks in this forum that want to replace the radio are doing it for the audio upgrade so they wouldn't be interested with the factory setup.
Good luck with your search, the radio and the amp will be the hardest to source but as more guys wreck 2019-2020 WRX's they should become more plentiful. I wasn't surprised that the post wasn't real "hot" haha. The OEM parts are not cheap to begin with and once people see custom wiring is needed vs those plug & play android units they usually pass. I too have had bad luck with those android units being buggy and laggy. I get they were going for a Tesla thing but I also think they completely ruin the aesthetic of the car. It jets out like someone glued an iPad to the bezel where as the OEM unit sits nice and flush looking more like it belongs.

Good luck if you try the same, let us know how it goes!
Old 01-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #496
aiyman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 528383

Hi, I've been researching the radio swap for a few days now and if I understand correctly to swap a harmon kardon headunit from a 2019 sti in to a a 2018 wrx that has harmon kardon all I need is the head unit, USB hub for the arm rest, and the steering wheel buttons? Do I also need the amp from the 2019?
aiyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:41 AM   #497
ark1214
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435064

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyman View Post
… Do I also need the amp from the 2019?
Yes, pre 2019 HK amp will not work with 2019+ HK head unit, so you will need 2018+ HK amp plus the harness to get it to work.
ark1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:54 AM   #498
aiyman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 528383

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1214 View Post
plus the harness to get it to work.
do you know if there is an easier way to get the harness or do I have to make it
aiyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:13 AM   #499
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyman View Post
do you know if there is an easier way to get the harness or do I have to make it
This seller made one that sold on eBay, maybe reach out to them.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/andrew_l_s?...75.m3561.l2559

That said the one thing they are not selling though is the door jam harness. Without it your radio will always stay on for 3 minutes after you stop the car. They also didn't mention that at least 2016 owners will need a newer backup camera for the guide lines to work.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #500
S2000_Europe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297373
Vehicle:
2017 sti
red

One question,

My car, STI MY18 came with the unit 86201VA830 and without Starlink SOS button. Will the unit 86431VA60, No NAV, from a MY20 WRX work? Looking to the connectors they both looks the same and have the same number of pins.

I know that the unit from 2019, 86431VA620, no NAV, is plug and play. Did something change from 2019 to 2020?

The MRX MY20's radio also comes with the telematics unit.

THX
S2000_Europe is offline   Reply With Quote