Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446616
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default 2018 WRX Rear Fog/EcoHitch Plug [DIY]

The rear fog is a popular mod for these cars, be it for the intended purpose or use as an additional running/brake light. However my EcoHitch receiver sits behind the knockout panel and takes up too much space for the OEM or aftermarket assemblies to fit. I've had this idea in my mind for over a year now but only recently got around to making it happen.

The base of this project is a hitch plug, in my case for a 1.25" receiver. By process of trial and error I slowly cut away at it until it fit perfectly snug. Used the Dremel to get it close and then sanded to get a smooth finish on the edges.

Next up is the lens. I didn't want to spend major $$ on the OEM unit only to possibly ruin it, and was able to find a reproduction on eBay for around $25. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Lens-AB...sAAOSwxFJdps0C I again used the Dremel + sanding method to separate and get it to the correct depth for the opening.

Last piece to the puzzle is illumination - this is a light after all. It took me a long while to find a suitable way to do this, and I'm super pleased with the result of what I came up with. Didn't want to mess with external drivers, just something cheap and dual-intensity that would fit dimensionally. Came across this trailer light: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794NGJP2..._ZKJmEbW7017BV
They're dirt cheap, I paid something like $6, and insanely bright. The LED module inside is waterproofed and removable, not to mention the size couldn't be more perfect. Sadly I failed to take any pictures of the module itself as I was too excited to finally put this together, but I found one online that at least shows what I'm talking about.

So at this point it was just a matter of assembly and wiring. Drilled a hole to allow the wires to pass through, glued the light in place, and sealed everything up with silicone.

Tested out the illumination with my trailer wiring and it's fantastic! Ordered some waterproof connectors for ease of removal when I'm using the hitch.
andrew_l_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
evilWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 128739

Very nice install, that's well executed.

What's the weight add of your eco hitch? I had a hitch on my previous Impreza for a hitch mounted bike rack but it weighed 80-100lbs.
evilWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post
Very nice install, that's well executed.

What's the weight add of your eco hitch? I had a hitch on my previous Impreza for a hitch mounted bike rack but it weighed 80-100lbs.
Thank you!! It's 41 lbs per Torklift, installed it by myself no problem. Made super well and only requires a notch in the muffler heat shields. Rated for 500 tongue/3500 towing weight and I'd totally trust it for that.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
Pawyyy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464496

Hi what brand and part number is the hitch plug? Thank you.
Pawyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:10 AM   #5
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawyyy View Post
Hi what brand and part number is the hitch plug? Thank you.

Ordered from etrailer p/n TTBLANK114, I don't believe they sell that specific one anymore but here's what it looked like before getting cut up. Shouldn't be too hard to find something similar.