Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #2076
Dert McGert
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 528045

Model/Year:2017 wrx premium
Milage:32k
Mods:Nvidia catback
Fuel:93

Circumstances: Driving home from work, dash light up. Took it to dealership that has been upkeeping oil chamges/issues with vehicle. Has code p0018. Dropped off 2 weeks ago, told today metal all throughout motor. New motor, is covered atleast.

Actual engine failure:Not sure, assuming turbo went.

Talked to dealer about extended warranty since I have had a few problems with vehicle since I bought it new. Said call soa. Talked to someone there, he said im sol since its a 3 yr warranty and I'm 5 yrs in Feb. Told him I've had quite a few problems with car and was disappointed with it, he didn't seem to care too much.
Dert McGert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #2077
Evo2suby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 437700
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium

2016 WRX bought now
Cobb AP with E tune
TGV/EGR Deletes
Cobb flex fuel kit
Had about 30K on it since modding it.
Fuel pump started acting funny, hesitation fuel spikes, probably due to cold weather and too much ethanol. Added some 93 to bring it down. Ran fine next day for about 75 miles until I did a WOT pull. Let go around 6K rpm just as I was about to shift.
Evo2suby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:47 AM   #2078
2018wrx_newbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477489
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2suby View Post
2016 WRX bought now
Cobb AP with E tune
TGV/EGR Deletes
Cobb flex fuel kit
Had about 30K on it since modding it.
Fuel pump started acting funny, hesitation fuel spikes, probably due to cold weather and too much ethanol. Added some 93 to bring it down. Ran fine next day for about 75 miles until I did a WOT pull. Let go around 6K rpm just as I was about to shift.
That sucks. Isn't there a fuel pump recall? Not sure if it is related, or whether you had swapped it out considering you are on flex.
2018wrx_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #2079
acaccese07
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 516426

Model/Year: 2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
Milage: 109k KM
Mods: Cobb intake - Cobb stage 1 - Muffler Delete 4"
Fuel: 91
I had cobb installed around 107k km with intake

Circumstances: Started hearing a ticking sounds coming from my engine, waited to long to actually check the issue - car died in street.

Actual engine failure: Crank bearing went on my engine.

Solution: Dealer passed a brand new engine under warranty even though i was over the 7 year 100k km engine warranty. Guy from Subaru said to remove COBB since it tends to blow engines (in his view after seeing so many engines blowing to that) and go get a proper tune instead.. I'm taking everything out except muffler lol.. Don't want to chance this again.

ALSO if you try to unflash your COBB before bringing it to Subaru they can see you did that lol as i did that

thanks!
acaccese07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:14 PM   #2080
2018_WRX_LMTD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510701
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX LMTD
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWRXs View Post
Good stuff guys, thanks!

I'm at about 1,000 miles since the engine rebuild....was planning on scheduling a follow-up visit with the dealer just to recheck things pretty soon, and was debating having them do an early oil change...but I'm rethinking that and will just do it myself, probably with Motul or one of the other heavy duty low saps 5w30 oils, and get a UOA done to better understand what's going on, maybe at 5k? Does that sound like a smart plan to you guys? Most of my driving is a 30-40 minute commute twice a day mostly at highway speeds, with some back roads blasting on the weekends. It's Texas, so it's going to be getting hot here soon, and for now I'm off of the ethanol and just running MAP's stage 1 93 octane tune.
Glad to hear the stealership was able to rebuild! Texas here too, DFW. Question, what back roads and where locally?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
2018_WRX_LMTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 12:15 PM   #2081
krenz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530610
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRB

Model & Year:2016 WRX
Mileage on motor: 50k
Mods: FBO e85 FP Blue turbo

Headgasket failed, white smoke everywhere, led to rod knock.
krenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 12:16 PM   #2082
krenz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530610
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRB

Model & Year:2016 WRX
Mileage on motor: 50k
Mods: FBO e85 FP Blue turbo

Headgasket failed, white smoke everywhere, led to rod knock.
krenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 12:01 AM   #2083
charlie24
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 537002
Thumbs down Stage 1+ CVT

Model/Year: 2019 WRX Premium
Milage:39,000
Mods: Cobb sf intake, boomba bypass valve, stage 1+ cobb ap OTS tune
Fuel: 93
Oil: motul 5w-30
Circumstances: only 2.5k miles since I installed the intake, bpv and ots tune, I noticed a ticking in engine that was noticeably louder than normal but not obvious enough to assume as rodkncok. I assumed it was just the injectors but I could hear the ticking from inside the cabin which was unusual.
Actual engine failure: cylinder 4 left the chat

It is a cvt. I confirmed with cobb re transmission and the tunes were for cvt. I’m not sure how I ruined the engine after 2.5k miles of having the tune. Bpv had no boost leak, I did oil changes every 3k miles. Is it possible the tune wasn’t dialed in well enough for automatic despite cobb confirming? Could it be from doing pulls ~3x a week? What’s the point of having a car like this when it can’t handle it?

Any ideas as to what could’ve gone wrong will be helpful. I don’t know if I want to keep the car if it can barely handle stage 1+.
charlie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:24 AM   #2084
Moby-Soob88
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431141
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WR Blue

Has anyone running Ti valve spring retainers seen any excessive wear or failures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moby-Soob88 is offline   Reply With Quote