Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
recon_six
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 353364
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Java Black Pearl

I got it figured out. Switch was burned up, so it wasn't making contact other than when it was in the off position. Ordered a new switch and new harness, but my only concern now is what caused it to burn up in the first place. Ground wire from the harness to ground is pretty burned, too.
recon_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

If the entire ground wire shows signs of heat damage then too much current was flowing in it. That damage along with the switch damage may mean the blower motor is drawing too much current, but not enough to blow the fuse. You should at least check the current draw when you get it running to see if you need to change out the blower also. You don't want to damage the new parts. If the ground wire is just burnt at the connection to ground then it means the connection point was dirty and had some resistance.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #28
Dspacedd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 354123
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza Outback

Default Same problem with 'lost' power

Yeahoner; I'm having the exact same issue! Have you figured it out?

I checked the blower in a different car & it works, resistor seems fine, 'hotwired' over the relay and the fan spun (on high). I switched the relay, the one to the right of the blower & still nothing.

Is there another relay I'm missing? Any advice would be appreciated. Lots of rain and no defrost makes wife unhappy. Also having the same issue with the other buttons not working...rear defrost, ect.
Dspacedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #29
recon_six
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 353364
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Java Black Pearl

The switch was really melted, and both contacts on the harness were charred, so I don't know if a bad contact caused a short, or if the motor is busted. Good idea to check it out, but how much current is too much on the motor?
recon_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Either the switch contact connection had some resistance to it or too much current is being drawn by the motor. I would guess normal draw for the motor at high sped would be around 8 amps but I'm not sure.

Dspacedd:
There appears to be a problem with the relay control portion of the circuit that is causing your problem since you bypassed the relay and the blower worked. I think the switch normally makes a ground connection to the relay coil to activate the relay. You may have a blown fuse that provides power to the relay coil, or the switch isn't making the the ground connection to it. The info I have shows fuse 17 in the dash supplies power to the relay coil. If the power light for the AC switch doesn't work then you really need to check that fuse.

Last edited by Cougar4; 04-21-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #31
Dspacedd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 354123
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza Outback

Ah!!!!! That was it. Silly me; after taking apart everything in the inside I checked the rest of the fuses & the "A/C IG" fuse was blown. Replaced it and the motor runs fine! Now I just need to find out if my ac compressor is blown. Looked under the hood and the belt is MIA & the ac turns but makes a slight grinding noise when I spin it by hand. Hoping I don't have to replace the entire ac unit now.

Lesson learned...next time check more than just the 2 blower fuses.

Anybody know if a grinding ac compressor can be fixed by anything short of replacing the whole unit?
Dspacedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #32
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Good deal, glad it worked.

The grinding noise doesn't sound good to me at all. I suggest you talk to a good AC repair place about the issue.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #33
yeahoner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352936

FIXED: same fuse here "A/C IG" was blown. A/C belt MIA as well, a little melting on the wire where it attaches to the back of the A/C clutch, clutch feels crappy, Might try to replace the bearing. I had to disconnect the wire to the A/C clutch or the fuse would blow again if I hit the A/C button on the dash. I live where it doesn't get that hot so I'm just going to live without A/C for a while.
yeahoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
yeahoner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352936

thanks for the help BTW hope I don't need more soon.
yeahoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #35
GG3mode
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 368660
Default Subaru Impreza Blower Fan Not Working

i have a 2006 subaru impreza and has a problem with the blower fan not working, i have powered the fan with 12V and it works but the terminals that supply the blower fan have no voltage, what could be causing this?
GG3mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #36
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

First thing to check is the fuses and verify they are getting power through them using a test light probe. If they are ok then the blower relay needs to be checked. Power passes through it and then to the motor.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #37
DentMagnet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352689
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza
dark green but looks blak

You can check the connection to ground by running a heavy cable from the component's ground pin back to the battery negative terminal. If things improve it's probably a bad ground connection.

The cable can be a jumper cable or several feet of stranded #10 AWG copper. The resistance of this wire won't be as low as the resistance of the metal car body but it will be low enough.
DentMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #38
RichT98
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483982

Hello,
I have a 98 subaru legacy and the blower motor stopped working. I have checked both fuses in the fuse box and have no power. Both fuses are good. I have changed the hvac sensor with new still no power. I have tested the blower motor and it works great. I have changed the switchs still no power at the fuses in the fuse box.
Any ideas???
RichT98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #39
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT98 View Post
Hello,
I have a 98 subaru legacy and the blower motor stopped working. I have checked both fuses in the fuse box and have no power. Both fuses are good. I have changed the hvac sensor with new still no power. I have tested the blower motor and it works great. I have changed the switchs still no power at the fuses in the fuse box.
Any ideas???
Did you check all the fuses?
Read the next post......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dspacedd View Post
Ah!!!!! That was it. Silly me; after taking apart everything in the inside I checked the rest of the fuses & the "A/C IG" fuse was blown. Replaced it and the motor runs fine! Now I just need to find out if my ac compressor is blown. Looked under the hood and the belt is MIA & the ac turns but makes a slight grinding noise when I spin it by hand. Hoping I don't have to replace the entire ac unit now.

Lesson learned...next time check more than just the 2 blower fuses.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #40
SubaBlu3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487712

So check blower motor > blower motor resistor > blower motor relay > blower motor fuses.

Do the tests, develop a conclusion and report back here and we can furthermore help you out.[/quote]

Im very new to all of this and apologies if I come off as noobish, but i have checked everything you have listed here and still cant figure out what the issue is. I've got a 2012 wrx the ac does not blow anything at all, no cold air or warm air. Being that I live in South Florida in the summer, this has not been a fun ride so far. The background lights turn on when i turn on the lights of course, however the small lights when you press on either of the ac gauges do not turn on, nothing seems like it turns on. Ive replaced the ac resistor since when I had tested it, it had no power. Now I'm just kinda stomped. Checked the fuses, the relay, the resistor, and the blower motor everything is working so what could be the problem?
SubaBlu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #41
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaBlu3 View Post
So check blower motor > blower motor resistor > blower motor relay > blower motor fuses.

Do the tests, develop a conclusion and report back here and we can furthermore help you out.

Im very new to all of this and apologies if I come off as noobish, but i have checked everything you have listed here and still cant figure out what the issue is. I've got a 2012 wrx the ac does not blow anything at all, no cold air or warm air. Being that I live in South Florida in the summer, this has not been a fun ride so far. The background lights turn on when i turn on the lights of course, however the small lights when you press on either of the ac gauges do not turn on, nothing seems like it turns on. Ive replaced the ac resistor since when I had tested it, it had no power. Now I'm just kinda stomped. Checked the fuses, the relay, the resistor, and the blower motor everything is working so what could be the problem?
How did you check fuses? Looking is not the correct answer all the time.
Using a test light or meter (set on 12 or 20 VDC) put one end of your tester on a ground, the other end on each little tab on the front of the fuse.....
Battery volts/light on both, fuse is good
No battery volts/light on both, key needs to be on or another circuit dead
Battery volt/light only on one tab, fuse is blown, replace it.

Have you tried running power and a ground to the motor?
No lights sounds like a fuse or bad ground.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 06-29-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #42
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

I would consult the schematic on that one, and check all fuses listed. There may be more than the obvious ones.

2012 WRX may be an a/c control module instead of just a switch panel, so that could be bad as well.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:51 AM   #43
ZoominX55
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494237

Wanted to say thanks to the people who posted about where in the circuit the resistors were. This was back in 2013. My new-to-me 2009 Outback Sport had a known issue with the fan when I bought it. It only ran on high. Sounds like the resistors issue. Soon after I got it the fan stopped working entirely.

When I went looking I found 'custom' wiring to the terminals on the fan, one of them went to a nearby bolt for ground. The resistors were unplugged. After replacing the resistors and plugging them back in I didn't get any better luck with the fan. It would work if powered directly. I was also getting 12v from one of the wires.

Turned out one of the terminals on the motor was bad and making an intermittent connection. Or it was the dodgy terminal the previous owner wired up. I replaced the motor and when using the dodgy wiring it was still intermittent. After replacing the power wire connector with slightly upgraded connections I at least was back to full power on the fan, but only full power.

I had read this thread before getting this far, but it took driving the car about 90 minutes before it sunk in that I needed to put the grounded wire back to normal because the resistors were after the motor in this car. After putting the grounded wire back to the wiring harness everything works as expected.

Whew. Hopefully that's the worst of the issues with this car.
ZoominX55 is offline   Reply With Quote