Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-15-2020, 04:32 AM   #1
alexosenov
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494121
Vehicle:
06 Hawk

Default Fuel pump not priming, Ecu not responding, car not starting

Since for now I have fixed the problem:

Replaced fuse SBF5 -> Everything works and the idle is no longer rough.

Backstory:
I was sitting in traffic for 40min, 30+degrees cels outside , moving slowly.
Out of the trafic, 1-st -> 4k rpm -> 2nd gear , bam the car shut down.

Cranks up, but not starting... Pushed her downhill and it could start, holding 200rpm for 1-2 secs then dies horribly. (obv there was fuel in the lines lul)

After taking her to the service it sat for a couple of days. My mechanic called me and said well she started and worked ok for 1hour idle. When I went to take the car turning on the ignition the fan started immediately and there was no ecu signal. and the car couldnt start.(at first when she died on the road the fan was not kicking on turning on the ignition).

Checked suspects :
- grounds (especially those on the intake)
- relays - main and fuel
- fuel pump wiring
- O2 sensor (havent checked it but could be the issue as I read from other topics)

I am posting to provide a solution that worked for me and if anyone has ideas what could be the culprit to blowing the fuse, please chime in
alexosenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Fuse SBF-5 supplies power to most of the engine systems. Look for signs of possible burns on the wiring that may have contacted the exhaust pipes. Also check for pinched wires. The fan circuit inside the ECU may be bad and is making a ground connection which turns on the fan.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:27 PM   #3
Brunsieboy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522405
Vehicle:
1999 EJ22

Default Fuel Pump not priming until 'after' I crank

Similar situation kind of...first time post too so bear with me please.

I currently converting my vw bus to subaru power...all pieces are in and I had it going last week. However, this week, I have no start but with strong crank. When I stop cranking the fuel pump primes and the engine bay smells of gas...the pump doesn't prime when i turn the ignition on though. Checked the crank sensor and it's ok. I have an obd2 reader and torque pro lite hooked up to the ecu and no codes are being thrown. I fitted an o2 sensor last week and now it's gone screwy.

Any ideas? Thoughts or comments are appreciated...my head is about to explode ***128514;

Last edited by Brunsieboy; 02-15-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Brunsieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:38 AM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Try cranking the engine a short time and then see if the pump primes when you turn the ignition ON. I think if the fuel system is already pressurized up the pump won't prime the line.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #5
Brunsieboy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 EJ22

So after a few hours in the cold investigating last night; when I put the battery on, with the key in the on position in the ignition, the system primes, then I crank but still doesn't start.

I am going to pull and reinstall the harness today making sure all tie-ins and connections are really solid. Process of elimination...
Old 02-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I assume that you have already checked that the ignition is working correctly. Are the injectors working? If they are good then I guess you should check the compression next. A slipped timing belt seems like the most likely cause of this trouble if the ignition is working.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Brunsieboy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 EJ22

Ok...lots of interesting stuff today...the temp has risen to near zero after being -37 last week! So being in the garage is more bearable.

I checked all sensors - all good. I then took the MAF off (saw on a different but similar thread) and was able to start it and then rev it up by hand to get it going (rough AF but going)...I got bored after a minute and let go, the engine stutters and stops. So I have spark, compression and fuel it would appear.

Here's the interesting bit I was using torque lite with my obd2 reader...the ecu was connected when I hooked up the reader but then the signal dropped off during the start...I did this three times to make sure it wasn't a fluke. My head tells me that mechanically the engine is ok but the computer is junk....what do you think? Worth a punt for a new one for 50 bucks on ebay
Old 02-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #8
Brunsieboy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 EJ22

I should also note that the fuel pump primes but not on the key turn ignition but once it stops...the ecu has had it i think.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #9
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Verify that the reader is getting 12 volt power to it while in the START mode.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
Brunsieboy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 EJ22

It seems to have power...I’ve bought an eBay special ecu. Will report back once I have more information ***128077;
Old 02-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #11
Brunsieboy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 EJ22

I’ve taken the maf sensor off and tested its resistance. I get a 4.6k V which I think indicates the maf is good. Could it be fouled up? The car starts rough AF without it plugged in and needs revving.

Perplexing to the max...not sure what else to do.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #12
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

If the engine won't run with the MAF sensor installed I would try replacing it regardless of the resistance reading you got.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #13
Brunsieboy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 EJ22

So I’ve just done a check of the fuel pump relay connector with my MM. The light green wire, which I believe is the ecu trigger, gets zero voltage in the IGN off or on suggesting the ecu is not coming on. Thus meaning Im getting no decent fuel delivery and hence no start.

Get my new ecu next week so will let you know if that solves the problem.

What a massive hunt ***128514;
Old 02-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #14
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Check to see if fuse 11 in the dash panel is good. If the wire you are checking is what you say it is then you should be able to manually ground that wire in order to turn on the pump. Power needs to be supplied to the relay coil for that to work.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:12 AM   #15
Brunsieboy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 EJ22

I will try and ground it tomorrow. This is a conversion from Impreza to T2... I have no fuses

Will report if I get it going.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #16
guciodog11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160264
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
95 20G'd EJ257 GM6

Have the same issue with my ****box....Seems like it's too much work to fix these types of electrical issues, nobody really knows what to do.
guciodog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #17
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

My data shows that power to the fuel pump controller module is provided by the relay via a blk/yel wire. The power out of the module to the pump uses a blk/org wire.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #18
Brunsieboy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 EJ22

So, most randomly, I had installed a small fuse block which, somehow, was grounding my bloody ignition wire. Most frustrating...so now, the pump comes on with the ignition as it is supposed too. I swore loudly...

Next question, the engine now cranks, starts but the engine dies after about 5 or 6 seconds...if I undo the maf I can rev the engine away but it’s rough...I’ve changed the spark plugs and it seems I have spark, compression and timing.

What I have messed around with is the hoses...so does anyone have an engine diagram for a 1999 ej22 that indicates the vacuum hose locations? That would be much appreciated
Old 02-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #19
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

So the engine will continue to run if the MAF sensor is disconnected?