Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
huskygsd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 329324
Default Strong deceleration/engine brake when letting off gas

I have an 06 WRX stock that had a bit of work done on it recently:
-changed air filter
-cleaned MAF
-installed Mishimoto IC hoses
-cleaned throttle body
-replaced PCV valve
-replaced/flushed slave/master cylinder and line
-two new tires that were ~13,000 miles difference from the old placed on FRONT axle (non-dealer shop said this is best)

I know that in 1st and 2nd the throttle is extremely sensitive and there is going to be bucking, but recently even in 5th on the highway, if I let off the accelerator, there will be a 1 second delay and then the car pulls back and starts decreasing like 10mph in 5 seconds on a flat surface.

It's slight but my dog especially notices it and hates riding in the car now. I checked everywhere for leaks - didn't do a leak test - but am starting to think it has something to do with the tires and their circumference? Dealer is a bit stumped...
huskygsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Diavolo_
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522840

off throttle if your speed decreases 10mph in 5 seconds that doesnt sound unusual.
what do you mean "there is going to be bucking"? under what conditions?
Diavolo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #3
huskygsd
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolo_ View Post
off throttle if your speed decreases 10mph in 5 seconds that doesnt sound unusual.
what do you mean "there is going to be bucking"? under what conditions?
It just doesn't coast anymore. Going down a decline on the highway, the speed stays the same or decreases.

By bucking, I mean the usual engine brake when coming to a stop in the lower gears.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
AliBenn
Scooby Guru

Member#: 487
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1998 /2005 STunIcorn
Acadia Green USDM 22b

Stuck brake caliper?
Never heard of 2 sides failing at same time thou
Parking brake stuck on?
AliBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:47 PM   #5
huskygsd
Scooby Newbie

I wish it were that easy. It coasts just fine when I take it out of gear into neutral.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #6
akritzer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511749
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch

Depending on the tire and how you drive 13k miles can be a fair bit of wear. I'd be trying to get all four done at the same time always. Quick Google search says you want them within 2/32 of each other.

I don't know if it's going to help your issue, but you likely are making the center diff work harder than it needs to if your tire heights aren't matched.
akritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
Jefe159
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486182
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
11 STI
sparkly fun gray

I tend to agree that what you are describing is normal engine braking. The only thing that seems kind of odd is the 1-second delay you're talking about.

Like someone else said, even in 5th, 10mph deceleration in 5 seconds seems normal. What makes you think that just because you're in a high gear that means the car won't engine brake? Yes, low gears are jerky-er when going on/off the throttle, but when in a high gear the drivetrain is still being retarded by the engine when at 0% throttle, even if it is less noticeable. Of course the car will coast in neutral because there is nothing holding it back from doing so.

Perhaps a video of it happening would clear things up?

Just my $.02
Jefe159 is offline   Reply With Quote