Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
superbike81
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235442
Default Converting 5spd DCCD Transmission to FWD (Oiling Concerns?)

As a part of my Factory Five 818 kit car project, the transmission will be converted from AWD to FWD. The problem is, the parts included with the kit are designed for the USDM 02+ WRX 5-speed transmission which doesn't have DCCD. I've got a transmission from a 5spd V4 STI RA that does have DCCD.

My transmission code is: TY752VB5CA

I asked a similar question in the Factory Five forums and got a response by PM but it's clearly a Google Translate job so I'm trying to see if I'm missing anything or if there is truth to what he says.

Quote:
But please that for the transfercase of the factory transfercase with the metal 4 bolts cover in top you need to modify the lubrication for the 3-4 and fifth gear needle bearing. Because by remaving the central diff the oil flow to the needle bearings wil stop! Its for 10% sure you will haven seized needle bearings!

For the Saker racing cars we had lots of problems in the beginning with the transmissions.
Main reason I want this transmission is for the 4.44 final drive and the stronger gears. If this oiling issue is true, is it easily fixable? Or should I just swap the gears and everything into a non-DCCD 5-spd transmission?

Thanks!
superbike81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

I'm not sure the v4 gears are really any stronger. v5RA are definitely stronger, but I'm not so sure on v4.
I also don't think a <1kg RWD car needs to worry too much about gear strength. It will be spinning tires way before the transmission sees loading associated with an AWD WRX. The gears just won't get near the level of abuse they get in an AWD application, even with a built motor and big turbo they'll get relief from the tires in shock loading situations that they have to eat that shock in AWD application.

I also don't think I would want a 4.44 final on a light RWD car... again spinning tires... light RWD cars with lots of power more often go taller to keep from spinning tires than go shorter. That, of course, is your call though.

I'd trade that tranny to someone who wants a 5 speed DCCD (they're not very common, someone will WANT it, and likely pay extra for a tranny with it). Either a FXT if you want the 4.44 or a WRX if you want the 3.9. Does the v4 tranny have an open front diff? That would be the main concern, though you might be able to sell a DCCD box for enough to be able to get a non-DCCD 5 speed and an OBX diff to swap in.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

You can get around it by using a phase II transfer section, which doesn't have the top cover plate like yours does. The oiling *shouldn't* be effected. 3-4 are within the main cases and will have splash lubrication as normal. 5th is between the main case and transfer section, but oiling should still carry back there regardless of center diff type.

If you need a phase II transfer case, I have some. I don't have any center diffs, but I understand your kit comes with a locking sleeve anyway. I would love to have a spare dccd unit if you'd like to make a deal of some sort.

Jay
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
superbike81
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235442

I'm not sure yet if it has the helical front diff or not yet, I have to open it up this week and inspect, I'll take pictures.

The transmission may be from a V4 or V5, I'm not exactly sure. So again, hopefully when I open it up I'll be able to tell for sure. As far as the gearing goes, you might be right, I may want taller gears, but I think I would like to give it a shot before I give up on it, but we'll see. I'm not going super high power, I'll be running a twin scroll VF36 setup at around 300whp.

Jay, working out a deal may be possible, let me check into it a little more. I leave Japan next month but the transmission will be getting shipped with the rest of my stuff to Seattle and probably take 6 weeks or so to get there.

Thanks for the help guys!
superbike81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:11 AM   #5
atomicjoe23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519563

I don't want to hijack, but I'm trying to find some similar info for a '17 STi 6-speed. . .we want to use the transmission/front axle output as a rear transaxle for a mid-engine car.

It is my understanding that in order to do so you need to stop the transmission from attempting to send power to the rear output shaft so that all power goes to the front axles all the time. . .

. . .is this correct?

Does anyone have any info about doing this with an STi DCCD 6-speed?

We would like to do it mechanically; I have heard running FWD 100% of the time via the DCCD burns it up electrically. . .I don't even know if that would be an option in a non-Subaru set-up either. . .

Thanks!
atomicjoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote