Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #51
psppopeye
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 407380
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 imprezza
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default faq?

This info is amazingly detailed. Along with the pics provided, a beginner such as myself can use this material to not only build his/her work kit but can refer back to its many many teaching points & how to's. Thanks for this. Oh and NASA level solderer..... impressive!
psppopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #52
mccohens
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 429303

Excellent piece and lots of useful information. Not to start an argument but my training was to avoid soldering twisted wires because they cannot flex with then. The whole purpose of twisted strands instead of solid wire is that they bend without any stress.
Another rule I learned was never to trust an electrical connection for mechanical strength.
Putting tubing over the joint helps a lot. Two layers of shrink over solder joints is even better, and clamping the wire also helps.
However my favorite system for stranded wire is a high grade(expensive) in line splice and my crimp tool with interchangeable dies. And a piece of shrink tube over the top.
But if and when I do solder, I do it as you describe.
mccohens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #53
further41
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 428001
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2014 WRX 603/520
Silver

I have been slowly getting better at soldering over the years, but holy cow at all the information in this thread I have never read before even after many hours searching the interwebz. Bravo.
further41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #54
jhkoka
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507631

Great write-up! Learned lots of new techniques on soldering!
jhkoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #55
Apex2000Rs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 399419

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderman07 View Post
You are supposed to use only enough to saturate/coat the stranded wire for tinning. Anything that is clumpy is too much solder, and if it starts to drip off the wire. When soldering multiple wires, again avoid making it too clumpy. Bottom line is be conservative, it's easier to add more than to undo it.

It is easiest to confirm a good solder connection when you can observe each part, from clean, un-soldered copper nearest the insulation, all the way to a finished solder job where the individual wires can be seen.
Apex2000Rs is offline   Reply With Quote