Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Lt. Dan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3597
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1985 Baja
silver

Default What did you do to your Baja today?

Just because this place is dead- an update on MY Baja:

1" lift kit installed
new wheels and tires
and finished up a bed rack to carry three bikes:
Lt. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
BajaGreg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 80956
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo 5spd
Bratmobile

Lt. Dan. WOW! I like those tires. And your 1" lift looks just right. Nice going.
I had my kids wash and wax my Baja Turbo yesterday.
BajaGreg...
BajaGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
bmann
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 425834
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Silver

Replacing rear springs and struts. Passenger side came out but drivers side needs to soak in PB Blaster for a while.

bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
bmann
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Silver

Got the drivers side spring/strut assembly out today. Thought I was going to need a nut splitter or angle grinder to get the nut off but eventually I had the bright idea to move the jack stand forward (left) a little to make more room for the 18" breaker bar. Then I could stand/jump on it while holding onto the roof rail. The PB blaster probably helped a little.

Also, I needed a normal length 19mm box wrench on the bolt side to keep the bolt and nut from turning together, since the bolt rotation is now stopped by a rearward control arm as the wrench rotates counter clockwise, as seen from the outside.

Annoying what a little rust can do. One of these came off with the electric impact wrench, the other needed me jumping on a breaker bar.

Ready for install. After this pic, I re-adjusted the pillow mounts so the top bolts align more perpendicular to the lower strut mount bolt angle, per the normal resting position.

Last edited by bmann; 11-30-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
BajaGreg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 80956
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo 5spd
Bratmobile

Bmann,
Nice shell! Do they salt the roads where you live?
G.
BajaGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
bmann
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGreg View Post
Bmann,
Nice shell! Do they salt the roads where you live?
G.
Yes, magnesium chloride. Though, compared to the northeast and midwest we get way less snow so the salt treatments are few and far between.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
anhcore
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 79416
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 baja
blue

anhcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #8
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53558
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Well... I tore out my cluster (for the 5th time), put an incandescent bulb behind the Battery indicator, and a second one behind the Brake indicator, and made sure the good LED bulbs I got went everywhere else.

Then, I reinstalled the cluster, trim, etc., jacked it up, pulled the front wheels, and tore the Snorkus out. I wish I had a firearm, I would take it out behind the shed and put it out of it's misery. As it is, I'll just be tossing it in the garbage.

After showing the snorkus the bottom of my foot a few times, I pulled both turn signal bulbs out... Blah! I then ran down to the local parts place, and bought to 1156A bulbs, ran home, pulled both the 1156 and 1157 bulbs from the left side housing and replaced them. Then, after reinstalling the fender liner, I repeated the process on the right side.

I did an oil change, complete with WIX filter.

And finally, the finale, I rotated my tires.

Last thursday, I replaced the two running lights in the lift gate (I might be doing a short write up on how to get to them), and then I replaced the bulbs in the license plate housing. I also installed a new driver side frog light housing (omg thank you ebay, $30 shipped for a used, but totally serviceable housing, complete with a brand new bulb and the bracket), and then I installed brand new 3500k (yellow) bulbs in both fog lights. The driver side was brand new (I've kept it), but the passenger side bulb was just about done (the filament was melty).

The only bulbs I have yet to replace are the headlights and high beams. Brake lights are LED with ballasts, though I went with standard incandescent bulbs for the front turn signals. I didn't want to mess with installing FOUR ballasts. >_> I'm thinking 3500k high beams and 4300k low beams.

So yes, I did a LOT to the old gal today.
Chi_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Jeremywny
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522379
Default nice car

that's a super clean baja, i live in western new york and they salt the roads here...
Jeremywny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #10
ohsnapnosnap
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522646

Installed a 1" lift kit (it's too tall really... bottomed out on suspension travel lol)
Replaced inner front CV boot

As I was sweeping up the garage after the job was finished, I found a broken snap ring on the ground which is supposed to hold the CV joint on the spline shaft.... I thought I had it on well, but apparently not.

I bought another through Subaru for $12... it measures as follows:

CV Snap Ring Part No. 28035TA040
External Retaining Ring

25/32" x 3/64"

I subsequently found one for a buck fifty at NAPA.
ohsnapnosnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:21 AM   #11
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

I parked mine. I just did an entire oil change interval's worth of driving in 9 days.

Tomorrow, a bath, to get the salt off it.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:21 PM   #12
Lt. Dan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1985 Baja
silver

After running around for a bit on the 1" lift, I finally came to the truth that a 2" lift is the place to be... So- the Gorilla kit is coming off, and an ADF 2" with subframe spacers are going on. Front is done, and the rear is currently soaking in PB plaster... No more messing around...
Old 02-28-2021, 07:25 PM   #13
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

I washed the South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada dirt and salt off it.

I picked up fresh oil, oil filters, and ordered a skid plate and filter sock. Next weekend, I will do the oil change. As soon as the skid plate arrives, I'll toss it on. Same with the sock.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #14
topherbaja06
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523727
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 Baja
Silver

Cool New to the NASIOC

I have an '06 NA 5spd Baja, bought it used from a dealership about 2 years ago with the intention of learning how to modify it but fell on some hard times shortly after and didn't have the time or money to invest into it. Finally I'm getting to a place where I can dig in. Today I cleaned out the interior and I'm getting the oil changed in a few days in preparation for a cross country move (midwest to the SF Bay Area). Looking forward to enjoying the long drive out west!
topherbaja06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:36 PM   #15
Lt. Dan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1985 Baja
silver

Just in time for summer-

Fixed the A/C (bad high/low pressure sensor), and put a Kuat roof basket on top!! That took some work to make it fit with the Lightbar...