Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #351
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265148
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergc View Post
The exterior changes are minor like the knobs and the NFC icon under the power knob. However how it works its a lot better. Plus it has AA and Apple Car.

I got it off someone that pulled it from a wrecked 2019 WRX. I was unable to get the amplifier off it. So at the moment ill have to wait for another 2019 WRX/STI part out.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zqgyXfb
Thanks for sharing the pics! Any facebook group or anything where you found this or just a verbal deal with a pal?
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #352
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211294

I found it on Kijiji. I got lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics! Any facebook group or anything where you found this or just a verbal deal with a pal?
silvergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #353
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490337

You did. Hopefully you will get a chance to test the amp. I am sure a lot of interested people our there. Don't forget you will also need new steering wheel controls.

I also wanted to ask you if apple car play worked with your existing USB module? I think you said you tested android, but I was wondering if you had tested apple when it was hooked up.
brettjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #354
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

You wont believe it but it also included the steering wheel controls and a 2.1A USB port for the armrest. Like I said I got lucky.

I did not test the apple car play. It will have to wait until I get a 2019 WRX/STI amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjson View Post
You did. Hopefully you will get a chance to test the amp. I am sure a lot of interested people our there. Don't forget you will also need new steering wheel controls.

I also wanted to ask you if apple car play worked with your existing USB module? I think you said you tested android, but I was wondering if you had tested apple when it was hooked up.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #355
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Hey,

I managed to source out a 2019 amplifier from a wrx and it differs from a 2018.
So swapping out the amp is not an option.

See the link for the pictures.
https://imgur.com/a/96vgvL4
Old 05-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #356
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Hey,

That is such a bummer. Do you know that you got a CAD spec amp? Do you know the part number of the 2018 and 2019 amp?
Old 05-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #357
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

The PN on the 2019 amp is 86221va050. I dont have the one on my 2018. I dont know if that is CAD or not but the seller said its a CAD WRX.

Quote:
That is such a bummer. Do you know that you got a CAD spec amp? Do you know the part number of the 2018 and 2019 amp?
Old 05-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #358
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

I am currently discussing this issue with a local audio shop. They said they recently install a Kenwood in a 2018 WRX with the HK factory system and they used the axxess TYTO-02 to get it to work. They will have to take a look at the 2019 HU and see if they can get it to work with the TYTO-02.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #359
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I am currently discussing this issue with a local audio shop. They said they recently install a Kenwood in a 2018 WRX with the HK factory system and they used the axxess TYTO-02 to get it to work. They will have to take a look at the 2019 HU and see if they can get it to work with the TYTO-02.
Interesting idea. Let us know if it works. Also, someone posted the wiring diagrams for the MY19 a few pages back. Does anyone have diagrams for a 16, 17, or 18? That would help see if a harness could made.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #360
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Hey,

You're really good at sourcing these parts, was this another Kijiji special?

Looking at the 2019 amp I stand corrected, it is certainly different which is very odd that Subaru would change this drastically between the 2018 & 2019 model years. It looks like your next step would be to try building an adapter harness / splice between your 2018's wires and the 2019 amp assuming you can't find a complete 2019 radio harness from a donor. I have to say, at that point though, unless you REALLY want to maintain the factory MAP button functionality, it might be easier to grab a 2019 PHONE button radio seen here with the carplay, and bypass the amp all together. I assume your desire for Android Auto is to use Google Maps / Waze anyhow.

I grabbed the Amp pinout sections from both the 2019 WRX FSM and the 2018 WRX FSM . At a glance I see three extra wires on the 2018 but it looks like it's only used for Shield Ground & Vehicle Speed Sensor. The third addl wire on the 2018 (A1 B/W) seems to come directly from the radio yet on the AMP Pinout it says Pin 1 on Connector A is Not Used. However, if you follow this to the radio side it's Pin 16 on Connector C which is "N.C./MUTE*1". So looks like it possibly controls MUTE.

I don't know if you took my earlier suggestion but taking a multimeter to the harness would tell you a lot. You could determine if in fact the amp is receiving power and perhaps even monitor if data is being sent. Take some readings hooked up to the 2018 radio, then take some hooked up to the 2019 and try to look for any differences.

If you ever get tired of all this and chose to sell the radio please let us know before throwing it on ebay. I as well as some other members in here would probably appreciate the ability to take a wack at it themselves.

Last edited by protivakid; 05-05-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #361
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Is there a pinout diagram of the My19 Subaru WRX (2019) Head Unit? I found this one for the MY18 (https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-S...g_pinout.shtml)
I would like to compare the ouputs of the two HU's and see if I can match the MY19 HU outputs to the MY18 amp inputs. It might be as simple as changing the pinout order of the terminals to the AMP. The fact that the steering wheel controls have changed leads me to believe that. Referencing the Amp pinout sections from the above post the R386 terminal is the connection from the AMP to the HU. That tells me the outputs coming from the 2018 HU.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #362
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Is there a pinout diagram of the My19 Subaru WRX (2019) Head Unit? I found this one for the MY18 (https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-S...g_pinout.shtml)
I would like to compare the ouputs of the two HU's and see if I can match the MY19 HU outputs to the MY18 amp inputs. It might be as simple as changing the pinout order of the terminals to the AMP. The fact that the steering wheel controls have changed leads me to believe that. Referencing the Amp pinout sections from the above post the R386 terminal is the connection from the AMP to the HU. That tells me the outputs coming from the 2018 HU.
I edited my above link to include the complete audio section for the 2019. Please take a look. Service manuals for older models can be found here: http://www.wrxinfo.com/service_manuals/
Old 05-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #363
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I edited my above link to include the complete audio section for the 2019. Please take a look. Service manuals for older models can be found here: http://www.wrxinfo.com/service_manuals/
Do you happen to have the complete audio section for a non-nav 2019 including pinouts for the headunit?

Edit: nevermind, its all there... sorry.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #364
rixcross
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424260

Sorry, I posted some useless info here that I've deleted.
rixcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #365
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcross View Post
Sorry, I posted some useless info here that I’ve deleted.
I disagree. Any info about testing stuff out may be helpful!
Old 05-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #366
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Did you ever get any follow up on this? It is a very interesting idea. This is designed for a toyota amp. It works for a the HK amp on a sub? If so, that would open up a lot of possibilities.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #367
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Not yet. The non-essential shops have not opened up as of yet. Looking at mid May early June.

Quote:
Did you ever get any follow up on this? It is a very interesting idea. This is designed for a toyota amp. It works for a the HK amp on a sub? If so, that would open up a lot of possibilities.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #368
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Not yet. The non-essential shops have not opened up as of yet. Looking at mid May early June.
I have been googling a lot about this AXXESS TYTO-2. The metra webpage does not mention Subaru compatibility, but I found a metra news post that mentions it can be used for amp retention for a 2015+ Legacy and Outback (which use the same HK as the 16+ WRX).

http://www.metraonline.com/news-post/150

The CARiD site also lists the 2016 Forrester as compatible (also uses the same HK setup as 16+ WRX).

https://www.carid.com/axxess/turn-on...n-tyto-02.html

Seemed like it is worth a shot. I have ordered one and I will see if it will work with my aftermarket radio (sans Maestro RR). If it does work that would open up a lot of possibilities. I will update when it comes.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #369
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

I tested PIN 12(ACC) from connector R386 to the amp and its getting 12v with both HU's.

Is there a specific PIN I should test?

Quote:
You're really good at sourcing these parts, was this another Kijiji special?

Looking at the 2019 amp I stand corrected, it is certainly different which is very odd that Subaru would change this drastically between the 2018 & 2019 model years. It looks like your next step would be to try building an adapter harness / splice between your 2018's wires and the 2019 amp assuming you can't find a complete 2019 radio harness from a donor. I have to say, at that point though, unless you REALLY want to maintain the factory MAP button functionality, it might be easier to grab a 2019 PHONE button radio seen here with the carplay, and bypass the amp all together. I assume your desire for Android Auto is to use Google Maps / Waze anyhow.

I grabbed the Amp pinout sections from both the 2019 WRX FSM and the 2018 WRX FSM . At a glance I see three extra wires on the 2018 but it looks like it's only used for Shield Ground & Vehicle Speed Sensor. The third addl wire on the 2018 (A1 B/W) seems to come directly from the radio yet on the AMP Pinout it says Pin 1 on Connector A is Not Used. However, if you follow this to the radio side it's Pin 16 on Connector C which is "N.C./MUTE*1". So looks like it possibly controls MUTE.

I don't know if you took my earlier suggestion but taking a multimeter to the harness would tell you a lot. You could determine if in fact the amp is receiving power and perhaps even monitor if data is being sent. Take some readings hooked up to the 2018 radio, then take some hooked up to the 2019 and try to look for any differences.

If you ever get tired of all this and chose to sell the radio please let us know before throwing it on ebay. I as well as some other members in here would probably appreciate the ability to take a wack at it themselves.

Last edited by silvergc; 05-09-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #370
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

My googling turned out the same results. But what I did find is that Toyota owners had similar issues with their JBL system and this module worked for them. My only concern is modifying the module to work with a OEM HU. They are designed to work with a aftermarket HU.

Quote:
I have been googling a lot about this AXXESS TYTO-2. The metra webpage does not mention Subaru compatibility, but I found a metra news post that mentions it can be used for amp retention for a 2015+ Legacy and Outback (which use the same HK as the 16+ WRX).

http://www.metraonline.com/news-post/150

The CARiD site also lists the 2016 Forrester as compatible (also uses the same HK setup as 16+ WRX).

https://www.carid.com/axxess/turn-on...n-tyto-02.html

Seemed like it is worth a shot. I have ordered one and I will see if it will work with my aftermarket radio (sans Maestro RR). If it does work that would open up a lot of possibilities. I will update when it comes.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #371
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
My googling turned out the same results. But what I did find is that Toyota owners had similar issues with their JBL system and this module worked for them. My only concern is modifying the module to work with a OEM HU. They are designed to work with a aftermarket HU.
Agreed! Still a lot to work out.

Anybody that has done the non-HK conversion, any comments about bugs or issues that have not been addressed?
Old 05-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #372
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I tested PIN 12(ACC) from connector R386 to the amp and its getting 12v with both HU's.

protivakid, do you have the complete documents for the 2018 and 2019 FSM? The 2018 is missing some diagrams.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #373
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:

This is probably a long shot, but can you check the voltage on pin 4 of the 28 pin connector off of the back of both radios? The pinouts say it is mic voltage (5v) for the 2018, but VCC (presumably 12 volts) on the 2019.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #374
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Ill check soon. According to https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-S...g_pinout.shtml pin 4 is MACC and Pin 5 is MIC, on the 2019 pin 4 is VCC. What is MACC and VCC?

Quote:
This is probably a long shot, but can you check the voltage on pin 4 of the 28 pin connector off of the back of both radios? The pinouts say it is mic voltage (5v) for the 2018, but VCC (presumably 12 volts) on the 2019.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #375
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Ill check soon. According to https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-S...g_pinout.shtml pin 4 is MACC and Pin 5 is MIC, on the 2019 pin 4 is VCC. What is MACC and VCC?
I believe MACC is constant voltage for the microphone (5 volts) and VCC is vehicle constant voltage (12 volts).

But when you did a direct connect of the 2019 the mic worked, correct? Did anything besides audio not work (dimmer, aux in, etc).