Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-12-2020, 03:56 AM   #1
usmcvet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512531
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2012 wrx
blue

Default In need of real guidance and advice PLEASE HELP

Hello all, I have a question and I'm hoping to get some answers. I have a complete ej255 (80,000 miles) with a spun rod bearing it came out of a 2012 wrx hatchback (premium if that matters) I would like to rebuild it and put it in my 2012 hatchback shell, a buddy of mine has a 07 sti and has spare cosworth pistons and rods he's going to give me so my question is.

-Can I use the Cosworth pistons and rods meant for a 257 and use it in the 255? (I will be using a sti crank)

Other miscellaneous question
I have a spare 2004 ej257 short block with miles unknown (reason I dont want to put it in the 2012 wagon). This also had a spun rod bearing but I got it for free and it's more or less something i want to mess with because I'll have some extra parts and I have a 2003 sonic yellow wrx wagon shell, I originally wanted to go stock ej205 with it but if I can make this short block work with the extra parts I have I'll use that instead.

These are some extra internal parts I have
-1 sti crank (2004)

-6 good oem rods, 3 from a 2004 sti, and 3 from the 2012 wrx.

-8 good pistons 4 from the 2012, and 4 from the 2004.

My questions for this is.
- can I use 3 rods from the sti and 1 from the wrx? (Or vice versa)

-should I use the pistons from the 04 sti or 2012 wrx? (Keep in mind the 2012 wrx pistons have 80k miles)

-what heads would you recommend for the 04 ej257 if I were to put it in the 03 wrx

Thank you in advance for All and any help. I will be greatly appreciative please keep in mind I am newer to the subaru community and I'm in need of good advice and guidance so go easy on me.

Last edited by usmcvet; 08-12-2020 at 04:11 AM.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
albersondh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 196882
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
08 WRX

Pistons are going to come down to what the cylinders will clean up at + whatever PWC you want to run. Forged PWC will be in the .0025-.0035 range, you need a new ring set as well. If the cossie slugs are OS (most likely) this is a good thing. It is not likely that your used block will clean up without having to go to a 99.75, not a bad thing. I have yet to see a block with any significant miles clean up with just a hone once torque plates are applied. Check the mains while you are there, expect some variation because...they suck. You can get a line bore for + .002 or .005 bearings if the variation is >.0005. I like .0012-.0017 main oil clearance, rods doing well with .002.

I have a few sets of spare rods from EJ255's. Ill send you one if you pay shipping but wont be available until after Sep 14th. I have yet to see any difference between EJ257 and EJ255 rods that would cause me to chose one over the other.

I seldom see a motor that spun a bearing not need a new crank. Cranks are cheap enough that most don't mess with trying to turn the crank. I got lucky once and was able to have it polished. While your at it its a very good idea to get the crank, flywheel, and pressure plate balanced as an assembly. May as well balance the rods and pistons while you're there.

If you can use the D25 (single AVCS) heads, that's what I would do.
albersondh is offline   Reply With Quote