Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #1
forkandbowl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 516442
Default 2017 wrx need stock clutch recommendation

I am at about 60k on my 2017 wrx. It is the wife's car and she drives it gently. The stock clutch went out at about 30k and was replaced under warranty. Now the replacement has gone out, out of warranty of course. I will be doing the labor myself since I don't have 2k to drop on this. It is bone stock. I do not want to put another stock clutch in. I have heard that exedy makes the stock one for subaru, and they sell an OEM replacement. So I am guessing I need to avoid that one like the plague. Are there any recommendations you can make on what to go with? Once again it is stock. My wife drives it occasionally in traffic and the stock clutch after a few thousand miles became heavy as crap which wears on you after a bit.

Thanks for any input on this.
forkandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Please don't double/cross forum post. You also posted in the Newbie Forum.

Exedy makes very good clutches.
If you have gone through 2 clutches in 60K miles, then you might want to consider either your and/or your wife's driving style.

Sounds like someone is riding the clutch, causing faster than normal wear.

I ran my original OEM Exedy 5MT clutch for close to 150K before I replaced it because I installed a 6MT, and it was still useable.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
forkandbowl
Scooby Newbie

I was hoping it might be related to the throw out bearing problem, but I'm assuming confused about all of that. My wife has only driven a stick her whole life and got 160k out of her civic si clutch. I've been driving a stick for twenty years also. Not ruling anything out at this point, but it seems like these cars have some persistent clutch issues.

Wasnt trying to double post, just thought I was supposed to say hi in the newbie forum.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Have you asked the Dealer why the clutch was replaced, ie; was there a recall or something?

What was the actual issue that caused the clutch to fail / be replaced?
- Worn out clutch disk?
- Failed clutch pressure plate?
- Something else?

I'm wondering if there is a quality issue for the pressure plate or clutch disk

Last edited by Samurai Jack; 07-07-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
f22boy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464019
Vehicle:
2017 Wrx
ISM

30k out of a a stock clutch is insane. My 2017 lasted until 118k when it started to slip, but that was after 2 years of autocross and road course racing sprinkled in. I would say its driver error for sure. You dont have too many options, act is probably your best/most readily available clutch kit. The stage 1 is good for more torque than the rods are so no need to go crazy.
f22boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
forkandbowl
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Have you asked the Dealer why the clutch was replaced, ie; was there a recall or something?

What was the actual issue that caused the clutch to fail / be replaced?
- Worn out clutch disk?
- Failed clutch pressure plate?
- Something else?

I'm wondering if there is a quality issue for the pressure plate or clutch disk
I just checked the paper work. It was replaced at 26k miles. Said it was worn down past the rivets and had destroyed the flywheel also. It said the throwout bearing was destroyed also. It was all replaced under warranty. My wife drives it 70 miles each day basically and it is almost all highway.

I know the clutch started out heavier than the civic si, and got progressively heavier as it aged, leading to it becoming very heavy then going out. After replacement it was as light as the civic, then became progressively heavier. I know it is a performance car, but the clutch shouldn't be this heavy imo. No mention of a recall or tsb when it was replaced originally. Wasn't there an upgrade to a larger throwout bearing tsb at some point?
Old 07-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
forkandbowl
Scooby Newbie

Should I just get this and run with it? Any issues converting to a single mass flywheel?

https://shop.exedyusa.com/exedy-oem/exedy-oem-replacement-clutch-kit/fjk1001fw/i-392930.aspx
Old 07-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

If the clutch disk wore down to / below the rivets, then is sounds like the clutch disk was too soft BUT, if the throwout bearing was failing, I could see the other issues.

Having a light feel progressing to a heavy feel isn't right. If anything, it would be the other way around when the springs on the pressure plate wear, so it would go heavy to light.

There is a Service Bulletin on the 2015 - 18 WRX clutches:https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...50946-9999.pdf

There is also a Service Bulletin on the Throwout Bearing itself: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...50949-9999.pdf

Sounds like the issue may be directly related to the TSB, as you mentioned.

If it was me, I would still not exclude a new Exedy clutch. I would check into the throwout bearing that comes with the kit to be sure it has the updated version.

Most replacement clutches are heavy-duty types and up.
The only other brand clutch I have used is ACT, which was an HD unit for 525 ft/lbs TQ. I never had an issue.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
forkandbowl
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the links. Going to follow up with that. It looks like the parts were replaced after the tsb came out but they didn't replaced the parts with the ones posted in the tsb. Might be able to get them to throw me a bone...
Old 07-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
evilWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 128739

Where are you located? There was a total clutch change mid 2018 model going with an increased diameter clutch/flywheel and new pedal assembly to address exactly what you described, from the paperwork I saw it discussed premature wear in hot climates.

In the USA clutch replacement under warranty they note to use the new clutch design (obviously once it was out). When was your clutch replaced?
evilWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #11
forkandbowl
Scooby Newbie

I'm in the southeast us. It was replaced 6 most after the service bulletin came out and they replaced everything with the original factory parts. I called Subaru USA and I'm hoping they will throw me a bone on this, but I have to get it inspected by a dealer first.