Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-26-2021, 08:44 PM   #651
Zabnorg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511126
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Outback
silver and gold

I would say get the tires and have the outer CV joints checked for binding while the wheels are off. I know there have been reports of vibration coming from worn or aftermarket axles/CVs. The angles are going to be higher in the front, that's where I would focus on since you have rear spacers. How much lift did you get in the front?
Zabnorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2021, 08:00 PM   #652
SandmanSaab
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443213
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x

I've lifted my 05 Saabaru with Forester struts and have been having what I think is axle binding issues only with the front driver axle. The car also has sedan front control arms with factory sedan axles, rear trailing arm brackets, and running 205/70/15 tires. I've tried multiple axles with the same results always on the driver side mostly from a stop, with the binding mostly going away as everything warms up.

I'm at a loss for what to do. If I did the Forester subframe spacers with the steering knuckle do I have to use all of the other drivetrain parts from a Forester? Or even could I slightly space the subframe with one or two washers?
SandmanSaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:28 PM   #653
Zabnorg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511126
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Outback
silver and gold

Default 03 OBS lift

So here's my lift setup, just completed:

Front:
Koni inserts, WRX springs, WL end links
Interestingly, it's a palm width from the wheel arch to the top of the tire, no lift

Rear:
Subtle Solutions 1" aluminum spacers with 3/8 spacers stacked, '99 Outback wagon trailing arm brackets.
Non-lift upgrades: WL end links, 22mm sway bar and brackets. I was able to bolt up the links on the middle setting without any problems.

Big thanks to the OP, I was able to do this on the cheap because of the info posted.

I still have the front 1" spacers and two additional sets of 3/8" poly spacers, I'm not sure if I will run these yet. I may run the STi springs on the front and see how it sits before I add spacers.

This is a pretty good compromise for a street setup: it's a little wallowy in the back but it hooks up great thanks to the progressive rate STis in the back. I think I will add the last 3/8" poly spacer in the back because it's just shy of a palm width in the back.

Edit: I put the last spacer (1/4", not 3/8) in, it's a perfect square on the lift right now, 2 1/2" from top of the tire to the wheel arch all the way round! I will post pics later...

Last edited by Zabnorg; 08-06-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Zabnorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:47 PM   #654
AndSpenRob
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530314

Hi folks!

Trying to help a friend with their '13 Impreza Sport Limited lift. Standard story applies - rides too low and rough. They were looking to buy a Crosstrek. I'm selling them on upgrading the suspension instead. Part 2 involves upgrading the tires on their 17" wheels.

The mighty internet has pointed me towards '09-'13 Forester struts and a Subtle Solutions rear alignment kit. This is probably the way we'll go...

Remaining questions are:
  1. Why do I see more Forester strut conversions than Crosstrek ones? Any specific downsides to the Crosstrek ones?
  2. Subtle Solutions sells camber bolts, but some folks don't use them. Can I expect to get things aligned without them?
  3. How tall/wide can we go with tires before there is rub during turning and/or bumps? I'm seeing ~27" diameter, but not sure where the limit is.
  4. Will 225/55R17s work, or is that getting too wide? This seems to be Crosstrek stock size...
Many thanks for the notes!
AndSpenRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:23 PM   #655
SuperWet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 536271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanSaab View Post
I've lifted my 05 Saabaru with Forester struts and have been having what I think is axle binding issues only with the front driver axle. The car also has sedan front control arms with factory sedan axles, rear trailing arm brackets, and running 205/70/15 tires. I've tried multiple axles with the same results always on the driver side mostly from a stop, with the binding mostly going away as everything warms up.

I'm at a loss for what to do. If I did the Forester subframe spacers with the steering knuckle do I have to use all of the other drivetrain parts from a Forester? Or even could I slightly space the subframe with one or two washers?
Did you ever figure this out? i am having this same issue with my 02 wrx. i installed forester struts and springs and got way more lift than anything out here said i would get. my axels sound like a Vitamix
SuperWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:29 PM   #656
SuperWet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 536271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keishin View Post
Using mostly data from this forum as well as dirally.com I just lifted my 2006 Impreza with 2007 Forester XT struts with a 3/8 saggy butt spacer in the rear. I was expecting a 2" to 2.5" lift but instead got a 4" lift over stock. I haven't seen anyone else have this result so far and I'm worried about my CV joints. Was there anything I missed? First two pics are before, and the third one is after.

BEFORE PICS

AFTER PIC

FRONT STRUTS:

REAR STRUTS

I am having the same exact issue with my 02 wrx and our measurements are identical. did you ever figure how to fix this ? my axels sound like blenders
SuperWet is offline   Reply With Quote