Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 19, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
Ebb_n_Flow
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 525773
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
93 Impreza L FWD-A
Chipped White

Smile Scnewbie here, gifted a project!

o/ Hello everyone, glad to finally be a true part of the Scooby Club.

My neighbor had an old 93 sitting in the weeds for the past 6 years so I finally asked him about buying it and he decided to give it to me under the condition I would work on it. He did tell me it would be an uphill battle, but little did he know I'm a fiend for cranking ratchets.

Looks like a rear main oil seal is out, what have I gotten myself in to?(any tips on what the easiest way to go about this would be great, pulling the engine is about where I'm thinking I have to start...)
Ebb_n_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
Takumi4Champion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519667
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2020 Impreza
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebb_n_Flow View Post
o/ Hello everyone, glad to finally be a true part of the Scooby Club.

My neighbor had an old 93 sitting in the weeds for the past 6 years so I finally asked him about buying it and he decided to give it to me under the condition I would work on it. He did tell me it would be an uphill battle, but little did he know I'm a fiend for cranking ratchets.

Looks like a rear main oil seal is out, what have I gotten myself in to?(any tips on what the easiest way to go about this would be great, pulling the engine is about where I'm thinking I have to start...)
Good luck that's cool he gave it to you.
Takumi4Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

I would say first, what's the rust situation? Subarus are not really known to repel rust and this is an old car that sat in a yard, meaning that grass does nothing but accelerates rust.

If it is ok, installing a rear main seal is quite easy, if you like turning wrenches and is one of the cheaper fixes for a car.

Does the engine turn over if you try with a ratchet on the crank bolt? If yes, there's hope. If no, I'd be pulling aluminum, wire and such for the scrapyard to get something for my trouble.

What are the specs on this? FWD or AWD? Auto or manual? Maybe 10 years ago, I was given a running, driving 96 FWD auto impreza. In the end, the most valuable thing on the car was the gas door. And no, I'm not kidding. Most everything else was given away or sold for scrap.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #4
Ebb_n_Flow
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 525773
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
93 Impreza L FWD-A
Chipped White

It's only slightly rusted a little all over, we have very dry years and only a little rain and snow, so it's not bad at all, it was very well taken care of beforehand.

I haven't tried, so I guess I'll do that. It runs, the seal is just starting to or has been starting to go out for a while and was starting to smoke really bad because of how much had dripped and burnt in the engine from the use. After cleaning it and keeping it under about 55mph it doesn't smoke or seem to leak so bad.

It's a FWD Auto. It's in surprisingly good condition and *only* has 191k on it, with the transmission being rebuilt about 6k ago from what he told me. Good neighbor, so I believe him well enough. It's just going to be a project for me to eventually turn it to an AWD rally fun car. Hopefully my dreams don't get crushed too bad.
Ebb_n_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #5
AliBenn
Scooby Guru

Member#: 487
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1998 /2005 STunIcorn
Acadia Green RS-T

Love your paint color!

Thanks for filling out profile
Post some pix!
AliBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
dangurney4prez
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 526062
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Black

Good luck with the project! I look forward to seeing the updates and progress made with it.
dangurney4prez is offline   Reply With Quote