Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #1
Mycroft_Groks
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522534
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Blue

Default Adding 8 inch Subwoofer to non-HK WRX base(2016)

I have the chance to get a rear deck panel with the subwoofer cut out and the 8 inch subwoofer that is standard on the HK version of the WRX. I checked my rear deck and I do not have the cut out for the sub. I have no problem getting the hole cut out of the deck and using the HK model panel.

My question is, has anyone else done this? Is it possible? Do I need a mounting bracket for the sub or is it a direct mount to the deck? I have no problem cutting the hole for it. I've already had a hard mount antenna mounted on the truck and I have an autobody that will do the work. I'm not worried about the wiring either, as I'm in the middle of an overhaul of the audio system(New HU, speakers, amp on order).

I'm looking for input as to if this is feasible.
Mycroft_Groks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
Mycroft_Groks
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Blue

No one has any ideas? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
PilotKD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 131702
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft_Groks View Post
No one has any ideas? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Seems like it is more trouble than it's worth and the rear deck tends to suffer from a lot of rattling. I've got a sub enclosure from here: https://shop.wickedcas.com/magicbox/subaru/ with a 12" in it.
PilotKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
Mycroft_Groks
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Blue

This may be an option if I can't get the deck idea done. I'd rather not utilize trunk space if I can help it, but this looks like a good option.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507139

I’ve got the 10” version of that enclosure and couldn’t be happier with it. Takes up very minimal space. The rear deck would be rattling like crazy, just not worth it. You’ll get much better results and bass using a proper enclosure be it the one mentioned or not.
THX0849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:50 AM   #6
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507317
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Quote:
I have the chance to get a rear deck panel with the subwoofer cut out and the 8 inch subwoofer that is standard on the HK version of the WRX. I checked my rear deck and I do not have the cut out for the sub. I have no problem getting the hole cut out of the deck and using the HK model panel. I'm looking for input as to if this is feasible.
Anything is feasible...just depends on the level of effort you want to put in to the project before and after it is installed, the amount of money you are will to put forth to said project, and the time, whether it be you own, or time without the car. Again, anything is feasible.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the HK rear deck sub. It is marginal at best.

I think you would be better off with an 8" Bazooka tube (or larger) mounted in the trunk. If the 8" is too big, they make 6" versions too...and yes, Bazooka Tubes are still in production.

Is it the best option...who knows, but I think it would be less effort than whacking up your rear deck (and making a mess) to put a sub in there. At that rate, might as well do a false trunk floor and mount the sub there, or put something in the spare tire...
GoFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #7
PilotKD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
CWP

I put a lot of work into my rear deck to get it not to rattle and it still buzzes slightly. Definitely not enough to get back there and mess with it again, but when my 12" with 750 watts RMS hits hard, there is a slight buzz. I can live with it.

The Wicked Audio enclosure really doesn't take up much room in the trunk. It fills the space of the trunk that is barely used for anything anyway.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
Mycroft_Groks
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotKD View Post
I put a lot of work into my rear deck to get it not to rattle and it still buzzes slightly. Definitely not enough to get back there and mess with it again, but when my 12" with 750 watts RMS hits hard, there is a slight buzz. I can live with it.

The Wicked Audio enclosure really doesn't take up much room in the trunk. It fills the space of the trunk that is barely used for anything anyway.

I'm seriously leaning towards this option. Either this or the kicker box that I see floating around. This looks more OEM though.

Question for you? do you have the factory HU or did you upgrade to a different one? Android? How hard was it to wire up the sub? I have a Sygav Android head unit with pre-amp outs, so I'd most likely be using this either going to a built in amp on the subwoofer or get a better a multi-channel one under my driver seat.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #9
PilotKD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
CWP

Quote:
I'm seriously leaning towards this option. Either this or the kicker box that I see floating around. This looks more OEM though.

Question for you? do you have the factory HU or did you upgrade to a different one? Android? How hard was it to wire up the sub? I have a Sygav Android head unit with pre-amp outs, so I'd most likely be using this either going to a built in amp on the subwoofer or get a better a multi-channel one under my driver seat.
I kept the stock HU, but I listen to most of my music off of a DAP (Digital Audio Player), which runs an optical line into my DSP/Amp. Note - my system was not exactly a "novice" install. I will get you a link to my install on DIYAudio in a bit.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...osconi.427861/

Last edited by PilotKD; 04-20-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:51 PM   #10
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507139

Quote:

I did replace my head unit, and couldn’t be much happier with the decision as the factory unit was a huge obstacle in my sound. I’ve got a Joying piece with optical out which I will eventually connect to a DSP amp. Installation of the sub was very easy ( I’ve got the baby brother 10” version) it mounted to a factory hole where a push pin was holding the side trunk liner.

A nice 5 channel amp would work wonders in your car man. But I would recommend using an amp that can handle speaker level input, as most Android head unit RCA output is usually very low.
THX0849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #11
PilotKD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
CWP

BTW, the reason why most people take the factory HU out of the equation is that it's got some filters and EQ in it that you can't remove, which effects the sound quality once you move into some higher-end equipment. I kept the stock HU and ran high-level inputs to my DSP/Amp, but I really only use the stock HU for news radio every once in a while. Other than that, I use my DAP. The difference in sound quality is night and day.