Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-15-2001, 03:46 PM   #1
luxcar101
Banned

Member#: 11142
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Default [sorry if posted before...] What are the pros/cons of removing 2-3 cats?

What would be the pro's and con's of removing either 2 or 3 of the cats on the 2002 WRX. My friend works for Lynne's Nissan and Subaru in NJ and he got to take home a WRX for the last 3 weeks. Needless to say I whipped it around for many a nights and I really got a feel for it. It's a bit quicker than my last car ( a 1992 Mitsubishi Diamante ES stock). LOL.

I feel no REAL lag, but:
- I was wondering what the gains would be if I removed 2 of the three cats?

- Would the bhp see any relief?

- Would it potentially do any damage?

- Is there a better option to relieving the engine's current starin due to NE Emissions?

I'm open to all suggestions and comments. Also is there anything I should consequently watch out for? I've heard much about the Turbo breaking as a result of too much forced air.
luxcar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2001, 04:03 PM   #2
procrustes
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 4444

Gains are more power & better throttle response.
Cons are death to penguins & spotted owls & less chance of passing emissions test.
procrustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 04:30 PM   #3
luxcar101
Banned

Member#: 11142
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

lol NICE. Reason I ask is because I simply don't want to ruin the Turbo due to fragments from the pre-cat and/or any other situations caused by the relief of such preasure by removing 2 (if not all) of the cats.

F the spotted owls
Penguins ROCK!
luxcar101 is offline   Reply With Quote