Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
Motomariner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457594
Default Fin Antenna Connections 2020

Does anyone know what the two plugs on the '15-20 fin antenna are for?

Looks like the larger (gray) plug might be for both GPS and powered am/fm antenna(?)

The purple plug is a mystery to me: telematics? XM Radio??

Thanks for expert NASIOC help!

(having trouble posting images....)
Motomariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #2
Mycroft_Groks
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522534
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Blue

Gray is AM/FM

Purple is XM

Any reasons why you need to know? The reason why I'm asking is I recently installed an external antenna for GPS, WiFi and 4G for a 4G/5G booster.
Mycroft_Groks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:32 AM   #3
Motomariner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457594

Thanks!
Yes, am considering how to add and external antenna for Cell Booster.
Was looking at a fin antenna that has am/fm, gps, WiFi, and cellular-
but not sure how to work with harness, etc.
What kind of antenna did you install?
Thanks!
Motomariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
Mycroft_Groks
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomariner View Post
Thanks!
Yes, am considering how to add and external antenna for Cell Booster.
Was looking at a fin antenna that has am/fm, gps, WiFi, and cellular-
but not sure how to work with harness, etc.
What kind of antenna did you install?
Thanks!
I bought a Pulse/Larsen shark fin antenna. Amazon has them for 60-80 bux. It has three antennas in one; WiFi, GPS and 4G. I put in a Weboost Drive reach 4G booster kit(499 on amazon) and I have a Sygav octo-core android head unit(499ish on amazon).

I mounted the Weboost under the passenger seat using the velcro that is on the Weboost and ran the wires through the center console. As for the Pulse/Larsen antenna, it's a direct mount, not a magnet mount. The Weboost comes with a magnetic outside antenna for 4G, but I didn't trust it(High winds, snow removal, etc. one wrong move and I have a whip banging into anything in its way at 80 MPH). Now, I had to go to four different places to have them drill a hole in the top of my trunk. I got various weird looks until I found the last guy that said, "60 bux, no prob."

He mounted it in the center of the trunk and as far back as it could go. I was able to run the wires down the cables that are already mounted on the trunk for the latch and back up camera(zip tied the three antenna wires to the factory wiring). I routed the three wires behind the rear passenger seat, under the trim, under the back seat cushion and through the rug into the center console. The GPS and Wifi wires were just long enough to make it all the way to the head unit with about 3/4 of a foot to spare. You'll need an adapter to connect the 4G antenna to the booster (Weboost sells them on amazon as well. Its a SMA-male to SMB-male adapter, I think).

Then I routed the inside antenna from the weboost through the center console and into the glove compartment where I have a ZTE MF833V usb 4G dongle(50ish bucks on Amazon) that's been modified to put it into dongle mode exclusively(Agama car launcher shows the 4G symbol on the head unit). I can post the instructions to do this. It's fairly straight forward. Until recently I had a Haewei USB wifi dongle, but it wasn't fast in dongle mode and although WiFi mode worked well, I wanted something that would work natively in android.

The booster works well. Without it, the Haewei stick would lose signal in three areas of my commute. With the Weboost and the original magnetic antenna, I would get 3 to four bars on most of my commute and two places it would get one or two bars. Once in a while I would lose the connection. Now, with the Pulse/Larsen antenna, I get 3 to 5 bars on the entire commute, no lose of signal at all. Granted, I had an external antenna for the usb stick that I taped to the Weboost inside antenna, but I have yet to lose signal with the ZTE. I have the Weboost antenna taped to the ZTE stick.

If you need pictures of my set up, let me know. All in all its a fairly good setup and works very well.

Last edited by Mycroft_Groks; 03-24-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:45 PM   #5
09erImprezer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft_Groks View Post
I bought a Pulse/Larsen shark fin antenna. Amazon has them for 60-80 bux. It has three antennas in one; WiFi, GPS and 4G. I put in a Weboost Drive reach 4G booster kit(499 on amazon) and I have a Sygav octo-core android head unit(499ish on amazon).
(snip)
If you need pictures of my set up, let me know. All in all its a fairly good setup and works very well.
Do you have part numbers or models of the antenna? Amazon hates me, won't find it when I search.

Thanks.
09erImprezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #6
Mycroft_Groks
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Blue

No problem man! Here ya go

https://www.amazon.com/Pulse-Larsen-.../dp/B07FDFS6BQ

I recommend finding a good autobody to drill the hole in the trunk.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #7
09erImprezer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520189

Thanks!
09erImprezer is offline   Reply With Quote