Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-02-2022, 03:33 PM   #1
wrx-it-ralph
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 531631
Default Seeking advice on 2010 Wagon Purchase/Repairs

Hello everyone, I'm cross-posting this across a few forums hoping to get some different opinions.

I have recently been looking to join the WRX club, and have started the long process of hunting through used car listings looking for deals. I ended up finding a stock 2010 Premium Wagon with ~130k miles on it with a decent service history that appeared to be completely stock for $14,000. I went ahead and got an inspection earlier this week on it, and they found a power steering leak, a broken clutch pedal bracket causing a bad pedal squeak, and a tiny exhaust leak, but everything else was in excellent condition. The shop quoted about $3000 to do the repairs, Steering Rack (2,000) and Bracket (1,000). I started looking into the repairs to do myself, and it seems that the clutch might require some welding depending on if the issue is on the shaft of the bracket, or the actual firewall. It also looked like the parts for the steering rack wouldn't be too expensive to replace, but does require a bit of mechanical work to get to.

My questions to the lovely people on the forum would be are the quoted costs accurate repair costs, or should I try to find someone to do it cheaper? Is it even worth buying this car and putting money into the repairs right off the bat, or should I keep looking for something that doesn't have any issues right out of the box? If I temporarily left the steering rack alone, would the leak get worse/affect other parts of the car? I'm hesitant to move on because the rest of the car seems to be in decent shape, and I feel like it's incredibly rare to find one with a full service history that hasn't been modded or trashed.

I would appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give. I look forward to joining this community, be it sooner or later!

Last edited by wrx-it-ralph; 10-04-2022 at 12:02 AM.
wrx-it-ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2022, 09:38 AM   #2
Unabomber
Big Ron
Super Moderator

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

We cannot help. Why?

1. Repair cost variables: Dealer, Big Name Shop, Small Name Shop, Shadetree mechanic all have different rates + rates in San Francisco, CA differ from Aberdeen, TX.
2. You can leave the steering rack alone for 200 years if you like.
3. Worth is a YOU question***8230;we have no idea of your finances. I put $1400 in stereo work in my 04 ****box this year, was it worth it? I think so, but most would say I'm an idiot.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Do you have a complete repair and maintenance history for the car? The car is 16 miles away from average wheel bearing failure in a Subaru. CV axles are overdue. Ball joints have maybe 50k miles left to them. Has the clutch been replaced or is it due in a year? If you have the history and can go through and figure out that hoses were replaced last year, brakes and rotors last summer, trans fluid done every 30k along with the diff, then you're in good shape. If the previous owner says "I've owned it since new and it's never needed or had any repairs besides oil every 10k miles", then expect many thousands of dollars to get it in good shape.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:41 PM   #4
wrx-it-ralph
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 531631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Do you have a complete repair and maintenance history for the car? The car is 16 miles away from average wheel bearing failure in a Subaru. CV axles are overdue. Ball joints have maybe 50k miles left to them. Has the clutch been replaced or is it due in a year? If you have the history and can go through and figure out that hoses were replaced last year, brakes and rotors last summer, trans fluid done every 30k along with the diff, then you're in good shape. If the previous owner says "I've owned it since new and it's never needed or had any repairs besides oil every 10k miles", then expect many thousands of dollars to get it in good shape.

It does have an excellent service history, primarily at the dealer for it's total lifetime with 3k oil changes on record. Not too sure about specific other repairs, but it seems like its been on the service schedule.
wrx-it-ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:25 PM   #5
Unabomber
Big Ron
Super Moderator

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Know what is NOT on a service schedule? Everything Jack listed. The car is 12 years old...if you are the kinda guy who buys a car and deuces out after 2 years, there's not worry. If you are gonna keep it, you need to read Jack's post and take notes, then go to https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2740715 and do the same.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote