Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
WhiteOut13475
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496550
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
Black

Default 4EAT Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Questions

2006 Impreza WRX (94,000 miles)

Mishimoto Tubro Inlet
Mishimoto Rad
Lightweight Crank Pulley
K&N Oil Drop In Air Filter
Invidia Catback Exhaust
COBB AP Stage 1
New (AZ) Accessory Belts

9000 miles ago I pulled engine to replace head gaskets, water pump, and timing belt.

History of issue:

Owned car since April 2016
First winter with her and I had many issues. Radiator leaking from the plastic seams, power steering was tough and squealing, and the big (and related) issue was the car stalling on me at stops. The stalling started few and far between and gradually grew over a month to happening twice to three times the final day.

Trying to fix my issue I cleaned my MAF, removed and cleaned throttle body, new air filter, fully charged battery. Nothing worked.
Found out about the engine re learn trick (remove battery to erase ECU - re install - turn key to on for 15 seconds before starting car - idle for 15 minutes - turn car off for 5 minutes - turn key to on for 15 seconds - start car and idle for 10 minutes - turn car off) and that FIXED (for time being) my stalling issue. Idle sounded its best too.

Fast forward to THIS winter, christmas eve, driving home and the car shudders coming to a stop light. Light turned green before I stopped so I gassed it into the closest parking lot, turned into a parking spot, and the car died.

My NEW and CURRENT issue now, car starts and idles PERFECT... but stalls and dies when I shift into drive or reverse. Spent 2 weeks checking all the same things as before, with no luck. I did FIND that the ground wire to the duty solenoid located on the passenger tower strut in the engine bay... was not connected. Must have come undone over the 9000 miles of vibration. Unfortunately re connecting this ground did not solve my issue.

Got it towed to the shop, and to my surprise the tow truck driver was able to drive my car onto the bed by feather footing, or giving the car gas before he shifted into both reverse (to back out of parking spot) and then a gear (to drive onto the truck). I should have asked what gear he used, Drive or 1st just now thinking of this DOH!

Shop thinks it's either the torque converter or something with the valve body. They suggest replacing the entire transmission with a used one. Looking at about 2 grand out the door.

My research has me thinking my issue could be a solenoid, specifically the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid (TCC). One of many exmaples I've found, listed below.

Below is from Transmission repair guy website.
"Torque converter clutch solenoid – The torque converter clutch solenoid is an electronic component that controls the amount of fluid that is passed on to the torque converter clutch. If it malfunctions, too much or too little fluid will be released which will cause abnormal fluid pressures. This will lead to irregular behavior such as poor fuel economy and stalling. "

Anybody have any experience or related issues? Knowledge is power! Please!
WhiteOut13475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Frankly, sounds like an engine issue.
I believe you are still a cable throttle body, this......clean the IAC. Sounds like the trans shift drops the engine revs, but the IAC can't keep it running. Could be a guncked valve (likely) or failing valve (not as likely).
I would suggest a can or two of carb cleaner/similar, new IAC gasket. Plenty of threads here on cleaning it.
I may be wrong, you are about the crossover year from cable throttle to DBW, I believe you are cable, thus IAC.
If DBW, could be oil or carbon hanging the throttle plate.. thus the DBW is dropping the revs too low.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
WhiteOut13475
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
Black

Thanks for the reply Charlie!

However, I have an electric throttle body. DBW drive by wire? Not sure if that's referencing the same thing? There is certainly no wire to be messed with outside of the throttle body. Which also has no separate IACV for me to clean. I've been over this throttle body last winter when I had similar issues and I'm 100% that it's not a cable, and has no IACV.

I'm already planning on dropping the trans pan and testing all 7 solenoids with both a 12v power supply to hear if it's clicking. And also an OHM meter to read its resistance. Doing this instead of using carb cleaner, not a fan of the magic fix it cans. But, who knows, not going to completely count out using it later.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
WhiteOut13475
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
Black

Default Phase 2 Version 2

So I have discovered (I think) that my 4EAT is a Phase 2 Version 2. The valve body in these 4EATs change between the phase and versions.

According to Sonnax Subaru:
These are the years and models when the Phase II Version II valve body started production:
2004-Later Subaru Forester, Turbo
2005-Later Subaru Forester, Non-Turbo
2005-Later Subaru Legacy/Outback
2005-Later Subaru Impreza, Non-Turbo
2006-Later Subaru Impreza, Turbo

Which they do not carry in stock. I think I've found some on ebay, but not all 6.

Has anybody done any work or swapping with these valve body or solenoids?
Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut13475 View Post
Thanks for the reply Charlie!

However, I have an electric throttle body. DBW drive by wire? Not sure if that's referencing the same thing? There is certainly no wire to be messed with outside of the throttle body. Which also has no separate IACV for me to clean. I've been over this throttle body last winter when I had similar issues and I'm 100% that it's not a cable, and has no IACV.

I'm already planning on dropping the trans pan and testing all 7 solenoids with both a 12v power supply to hear if it's clicking. And also an OHM meter to read its resistance. Doing this instead of using carb cleaner, not a fan of the magic fix it cans. But, who knows, not going to completely count out using it later.
Sorry, totally missed your reply, I was not looking since I rarely deal with AT's.

Yes, "DBW" is drive by wire, thus no IAC (idle air control valve) for idle.
Using carb cleaner or similar is to clean Gunk out of a IAC.
It could still be an issue on a DBW, clean the throttleplate area to fix/reduce plate sticking.

Have you had a trans fluid change done? Old fluid may hang solenoids. There is a lot of varying discussion of fluid change vs. fluid flush.
I have no real info of one vs. the other, change is better than old fluid. May need a few short changes to remove most crap from fluid. Flush "may" dislodge crap that is an issue later......
Again, I don't usually deal with AT's, so not a good source.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
WhiteOut13475
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
Black

No worries Charlie, and I appreciate your help regardless.
I have removed and cleaned the throttle body plate.
I have NOT done a trans fluid change. However, I'm stuck being unable to do so now with it's current condition. Can't shift, or it dies.
I could drain the fluid, and fill... but the process of shifting the lever into each gear in order for the fluid to get around is not possible because the car dies when I shift into any gear.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
WhiteOut13475
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
Black

Update

After sitting for some time I finally got around to pulling the transmission pan, locating my 6 solenoids. I do in fact have the Phase 2 Version 2 transmission.

The solenoids for this year have 2 prongs within a VERY SMALL plastic housing.

(see this link for my solenoid- https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLENOID-BL...T/202493093596 -)

This made it very hard to get my test leads in for the multi meter and power probe. I ended up pulling all 6 and testing them on on the work bench. Still impossible with the size test leads I had, I ended up getting metal paper clips and rigging up a connection.

Results, well, unfortunately it appears all 6 solenoids are withing working order.
All 6 passed the power probe test where I added power to the solenoid in order to hear if the plunger inside was moving. Which they all did. They also all read 11.2 while power was being added.
Also used the multi meter to test resistance, or ohms readings, and all sat around 4 OHMS, which from my readings is the expected range. My multi meter is the cheapest, and honestly depending on how I placed the paper clips seemed to change my numbers a ton. Took a lot of time to get it to auto find its reading, and would also often move for most between 3 to 4.5 ohms.

So i'm still stuck with a transmission that stalls when you shift into Drive. Thinking about just buying the Torque Converter Solenoid and replacing it anyway since I've gotten this far already. I'll be adding about 5 quarts of new Subaru Auto Trans fluid.

Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
MrMike46
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505534
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy
Winestone Pearl

Default "Rebuilt" 4EAT valve body solenoids

Lately there have been "rebuilt" valve body solenoids showing up on ebay.
I can't imagine any rebuild beyond cleaning and new O rings.
Anybody take a gamble on these?
They are from Hong Kong or mainland China.
MrMike46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
Mark323
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518900
Default Same issue here with my 05 Impreza 4EAT

I have been having this exact same issue with my Impreza. I have been having this problem for months and I am looking into fixing it. Did you ever find out what solenoid needed to be replaced? Did it fix the issue
Mark323 is offline   Reply With Quote