Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FB Series Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
brbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483505
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport
Satin White Pearl

Default 2014 Impreza FB20 - Preventative Maintenance

Hello all,

I did a bit of searching and found very little on my question within the forum which I guess is good, so I'm looking for some opinions....

I bought my Impreza at 150KM and have 200KM 9 months later, have been doing my LOF every 6-7KM, did the diffs twice and dumped the CVT pan oil once at 160KM...

I know the car was well looked after up to 150KM by the Original Owner, but I like to error on the side of caution and being at the 200KM (120,000miles) I was going to do some extra maintenance:

Water Pump - T/Stat - Belt Tensioner - Idler Pulleys - Belt - Plugs - LOF - Trans fluid pan dump only - Diffs - Filters

I priced out all of the front of the engine stuff (OE only Cdn Pricing) - I'll be in it for +$600Cdn parts -

I have not noticed any real concerns with issues arising from this stuff on the forum searches and was actually asked by the Dealer why I was pricing this stuff out as its rare they even do it (ie Water Pump) - I was wondering how many here have done this type of preventative maintenance and thoughts on longevity versus failure...I have no time for failures on the road

Thank You

Last edited by brbo; 03-04-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: better title explanation
brbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
jbirch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 417264
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2012 impreza
blue

Hey to answer your question I have a 2012 Impreza with 77,000 and like you do preventative maintenance already did w/p, thermostat, belt, belt tensioner ,three idler pulley, spark plugs, pvc value, climate control cleaner ( soa868v9315), F.I cleaner and all the filter and I used O.E.M part and about to do front and back stabilize links.This is how I take care of my car I did it all I'm not going to have the deal do it there price are so high and I know it got done, so my friend hope this helps any questions just ask.
jbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
CaptainSlowbaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 445600
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 Outback Sport
Green

Here's what we do at the dealer for maintenance, for your reference.

Oil change -------- every 5-6k
PCV valve --------- every 30K
Brake fluid -------- every 30K
Engine air filter --- every 30k
Cabin air filter ---- as needed (usually once a year)
Spark plugs ------- every 60K
Diff fluid (fr & Rr)- every 60K
Serpentine belt --- as needed
tensioner/ idlers -- as needed

According to Subaru, coolant is due to be replaced at 137,500 miles and every 75k thereafter. I would highly recommend replacing any coolant related parts during those coolant intervals. In my opinion, FB water pumps never go bad. I'm sure it's happened, but it must me super rare- rare to the point that it's a waste of money to replace it if it's not bad. If anything, I'd replace the t-stat and radiator hoses, but not the water pump. Something to keep an eye on: the coolant crossover pipe o-rings (on top of the block) sometimes start leaking north of 120k or so. (at that point I usually recommend hoses and t-stat, since the coolant is out anyway.)

The belt usually wears by about 100k or so, but I've not seen any tensioner or idler pulley problems. The 3.6 has issue with the pulleys, but not the FB.

The CVT fluid has no service interval, according to Subaru- unless the car regularly tows. I'd recommend replacing at 100k, and maybe every 50k thereafter, just to be safe.

With ALL of that said, it never hurts to over-maintain, but at some point it does become a waste of money, because of such low failure rates of some parts. This is my opinion based on all of my years wrenching, and Subaru dealer experience.
CaptainSlowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
IHaveAHorse
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507873

Is there just one PCV valve? I looked in the service manual and it only mentions one. Mine hasn't been done in at least 30k, possibly 40-50k.

Are you taking into account the fact that you only get 30-50% of the fluid out when you do a drain and fill on the CVT? I feel like taking that into account you'd probably want to change it every 30-40k max, since you'd really only be replacing the vast majority of it after 3 or 4 changes.

Last edited by IHaveAHorse; 11-11-2019 at 03:10 PM.
IHaveAHorse is offline   Reply With Quote