Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #1
Sweezy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495144
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza GX

Default PCV Valve/Catch can/Hoses

Hi all, im going to install a catch can on my 2003 Impreza NA, after some research i have learnt that (supposedly) one hose from the catch can connects to the PCV, and the other hose then goes back into the intake. My only question is, does that now make the hoses going into the airbox obsolete? There are 3 hoses in total, 2 breather hoses to each side of the engine, and 1 that is also connected to the PCV directly (?). Installing a catch can would make that 3rd hose go to nothing, so would i just plug it somehow? or even remove all 3 hoses and plug them up somehow? Has anyone installed a catch can on an NA subie and encountered this? Appreciate all info, thanks
Sweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
Gamil
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220375
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2011 Outback Sport
Blue

The first question is why are you adding a catch can? Are you trying to figure out oil consumption?

I added one a couple years ago because my 2011 OBS was consuming oil. but it never caught anything. I eventually found out (during head gasket job) it was a valve stem seal that had popped out of position and was letting a tiny bit of oil down the stem which was gettting sucked into the cylinder and burned.

Are you talking about plugging up the extra inlets on the airbox? yes you can do that. I just grabbed some vacuum caps from my local auto parts store. But don't plug the outlets from the heads or the PCV.

Are you putting the catch can on just the PVC or the Head breathers or all 3?
Gamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Sweezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza GX

well im adding a catch can partly out of interest, partly just because why not, very high mileage engine so i thought i'd just start learning how to do all this stuff for future applications

I was planning to attach the catch can hoses to both ends of where the PCV valve is, i guess the head breathers are different altogether? i may just hook up the catch can to the pcv, leave the breather hoses into the airbox and leave the stock airbox as is (had been planning to keep it nonetheless) and i'll just plug up the 3rd centre hole that had come from the PCV to the airbox.

Thanks for getting back to me, and thanks for the info!
Old 11-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
SandmanSaab
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443213
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x

I have one installed on my car. The valve cover breathers are left alone and the catch can is just put inline of the PCV valve and PCV tube on the intake.
SandmanSaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Sweezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza GX

Perfect! thank you!