Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #2726
SamCairns
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 481094
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspicious_subaru View Post
Is there anybody else besides inferno fab making catted headers for the 2008-2010 2.5i? I cant find any in a google search and a search here only showed inferno
rallisportautomotive sells UEL headers and some other stuff for 2006-2011 2.5i's.
SamCairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #2727
tipsymechanic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505361
Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
White

2008 / Subaru / Legacy / EJ253 / 4EAT
Hybrid Intake w/ AEM dry flow filter: Less than ~$125
Infernofab 2.5RS style header w/ high flow cat: $700
Stock LGT midpipe, HKS Silent Hi-Power axle back

Likes: It sounds great inside the car. I can barely hear the intake, the exhaust is deep and rumbly.
Dislikes: I tried to be cheap and got an ebay intake. I hacked it up and used couplers, it doesn't fit quite right. It works, but I'm not 100% happy with it. The exhaust is raspy. I think the Delta Cams are at fault, it was always smooth before they were installed.

I can't really comment on power gains, I'm sure it helps a little, combined with tuning, of course.
This will all change in the next few months when turbo bits are installed

tipsymechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:44 AM   #2728
ImprezaRS dot com
over boosted again

Member#: 1458
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Limited
15 Forester XT, 21 Ascent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsymechanic View Post
2008 / Subaru / Legacy / EJ253 / 4EAT
Hybrid Intake w/ AEM dry flow filter: Less than ~$125
Infernofab 2.5RS style header w/ high flow cat: $700
Stock LGT midpipe, HKS Silent Hi-Power axle back

Likes: It sounds great inside the car. I can barely hear the intake, the exhaust is deep and rumbly.
Dislikes: I tried to be cheap and got an ebay intake. I hacked it up and used couplers, it doesn't fit quite right. It works, but I'm not 100% happy with it. The exhaust is raspy. I think the Delta Cams are at fault, it was always smooth before they were installed.

I can't really comment on power gains, I'm sure it helps a little, combined with tuning, of course.
This will all change in the next few months when turbo bits are installed

https://youtu.be/231LsnV2BPo
https://youtu.be/RL9_XJXZ5k0
In my experience, the length and diameter of the intake always affected the torque curve and HP depending on the changes made. If you were going to stay normally aspirated I would consider getting an intake that has already had the tuning put into the design.

Tuning the ECU could make a big difference though, and make you happier. But be very careful when you start adding boost to an EJ25. My 2000 2.5RS was a bit different with it's MAP sensor, but it's still a big risk.

When I added even a simple RB52 legacy turbo kit at 6-psi with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator it made the biggest difference, and 0-60 times up here at 6000 feet dropped from 8+ seconds to 6.0 seconds flat on 93 octane. I didn't stay there though, even after blowing up 2nd gear.

With 100+ octane gas and 2 extra fuel injectors in the throttle body run by an extra EFI computer, my 2.5RS was making 233 whp at 6000 feet above sea-level and running 13.7@100 quarter miles at Bandimere Speedway. I should have stopped there.

Then I got greedy and broke the rings, built a 9:1 motor with VF22 turbo kit with AW IC at 14 psi and it was probably at 375hp on 93 octane. It was incredible, except when it got boost creep in the mountains in 5th gear with a friend driving and did the motor in again, along with another trashed stock 5-speed gear set.

Then I built a monster 8:1 motor, JE pistons, Pauter rods, knife-edged lightened balanced crank, O-ringed head, Cobb cams, tuned ECU with quad fuel rails and Garrett Ballistic/IHI hybrid turbo, HK BOV, and 6 core AW IC, and dual dump 3" downpipe with about 500hp. And this time blew up 5th gear and the front ring-and-pinon despite having a PAR/Chalak high power gear set that only replaced 1st-4th. The ceramic clutch we installed, after the ACT clutch was slipping, was now grabbing a little too well.

We tried installing a Forester STi automatic transmission since it had the same 4.11 diffs as the 2.5RS, and after 2 months of replacing pedals and shifters and drive shafts and wiring, it was stuck in 3rd gear. So 0-60 (4,000 rpm) felt like a Honda civic, but then finishing out 3rd gear from 60-120mph (4,000 - 8,000 rpm) felt like the Millennium Falcon - everything was a blur.

After that, my wife said, "it's you or the car, one has got to go" and I sold the motor for $5K, sold the turbo kit for $5K, installed a stock motor and rewired the transmission, and traded it for a brand new 2004 STi. I had to leave the 3" exhaust, Tein coil overs, and Wilwood 4-pot brakes on it, as well as the leather seat upgrade that I did after I bought it. After paying the dealership $1,500 to "fix" the transmission issues, I had $9,500 in trade value on a 36 month old 2.5RS that had cost me $20,000.

I think at that point I decided to never mod my car again. The STi was near perfect, although I did do a Cobb tuning access port tune on it. Now I'm in a 2017 WRX and it's only got the STi exhaust and short shifter and no tune - I'm just told old now I guess.

So, after hearing this, do you think you might want to just trade that in for a WRX or Outback Onyx XT?
ImprezaRS dot com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:57 PM   #2729
tipsymechanic
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaRS dot com View Post
So, after hearing this, do you think you might want to just trade that in for a WRX or Outback Onyx XT?
Wow! you did a lot! bet it was fun while it lasted
I had considered a Forester XT, but this car has been paid for since 2013..
I'm only going to run a TD04 at 5-10psi, with AWIC and E85 fuel.. should be fairly safe.. relatively speaking
Old 08-31-2019, 01:37 AM   #2730
ImprezaRS dot com
over boosted again

Member#: 1458
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Limited
15 Forester XT, 21 Ascent

Quote:
Wow! you did a lot! bet it was fun while it lasted
I had considered a Forester XT, but this car has been paid for since 2013..
I'm only going to run a TD04 at 5-10psi, with AWIC and E85 fuel.. should be fairly safe.. relatively speaking
It was a lot of fun - I was boosted 6 months before the WRX was introduced at the Detroit Auto Show in 2001. And my work on boosting the 2.5RS caught Subaru’s attention and got me invited to the show to blog on the introduction, on their dime. They also sent me to the Ride and Drive event at Firebird Raceway.

Your plan is certainly feasible, I just wanted to let you know what you’re in for.
ImprezaRS dot com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:58 AM   #2731
tipsymechanic
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
White

I can't even imagine how awesome that would be.. recognized by Subaru! Dang

I appreciate the heads up!
Old 09-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #2732
SandmanSaab
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443213
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x

What are the current options for en equal length header?
SandmanSaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #2733
d.angel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494393
Default Rumblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.angel View Post
Don’t know if this is still an issue or not. See my post below. When I bought my car it had the current exhaust already on it. Love the low rumble, so I would totally recommend the muffler. But, with the resonator delete, it’s too loud at high rpm +/- heavy accel. Also very tinny sounding, and raspy at high rpm/hard accel. Lots of drone at freeway speeds. I’m adding a yonaka resonator 2.25” in/out and 16” length. Will try to post before/after video of sound. I don’t expect big changes, just settling her down a little. We’ll see.
Thanks for the tips! I actually have UEL headers, my mistake. I put a 20” yonaka reasonator on, and my car sounds great! Just slightly quieter at idle. But otherwise that low Subie rumble goes through the entire rev range. Best of all, no raspiness at all.
d.angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #2734
d.angel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494393
Default Rumblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcrazy View Post
My old 87 GL Wagon (gutted for racing) with an EJ25D had and UEL header, a resonator in place of the cat, a 20" Glass pack, and a magnaflow straight through muffler. All 2.25". It had a mild rumble and zero drone on the highway.

Since you're running EL headers, you'll want a decent sized resonator. So, either go with a large (20+") 2.25" glass pack like i did, or a Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet Resonator (1140). You might even need a second bottle style resonator to really get the noise under control.

I don't know what kind of space you have under your car, but a second muffler might be another option. But, that's assuming you've got space underneath there for one.

Hope that helps.
Totally heIps. I actually have UEL headers, my mistake. I put a 20” yonaka reasonator on, and my car sounds great! Just slightly quieter at idle. But otherwise that low Subie rumble goes through the entire rev range. Best of all, no raspiness at all.
d.angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #2735
tipsymechanic
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanSaab View Post
What are the current options for en equal length header?
Rallisportracing * MIGHT * make one, I'm not 100% sure. TWE makes good 2.5RS style headers, pricey though.
Stock 2.5i headers aren't bad at all, modify it to get rid of the cat or add a high-flow cat.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #2736
SandmanSaab
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x

Quote:
Rallisportracing * MIGHT * make one, I'm not 100% sure. TWE makes good 2.5RS style headers, pricey though.
Stock 2.5i headers aren't bad at all, modify it to get rid of the cat or add a high-flow cat.
That's what I'm finding out. Since I have an 05 I believe that I'll need the header, cat pipe, and the newer oil pan for it all to work.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #2737
tipsymechanic
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
White

Quote:
That's what I'm finding out. Since I have an 05 I believe that I'll need the header, cat pipe, and the newer oil pan for it all to work.
does your 05 have the RS style manifold or the newer 2.5i style? I forget.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #2738
SandmanSaab
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x

Quote:
does your 05 have the RS style manifold or the newer 2.5i style? I forget.
Older, the design that goes behind the oil pan. The new one goes in front correct?
Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #2739
tipsymechanic
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
White

Quote:
Older, the design that goes behind the oil pan. The new one goes in front correct?
yep! The TWE equal length design is behind the pan. They're the only one I know 100% makes EL design. The others, I'm not so sure.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #2740
SandmanSaab
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x

Quote:
yep! The TWE equal length design is behind the pan. They're the only one I know 100% makes EL design. The others, I'm not so sure.
I'd get it but it's way out of my budget, it's a very nice unit though.

Last edited by SandmanSaab; 09-08-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #2741
tipsymechanic
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
White

Honestly, if you don’t mind the UEL sound, anything is better than the stock behind the pan manifold. That thing flows so bad. A cheap UEL will pick up power.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #2742
SandmanSaab
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x

Quote:
Honestly, if you don’t mind the UEL sound, anything is better than the stock behind the pan manifold. That thing flows so bad. A cheap UEL will pick up power.
Honestly I already have one. I swear this thing has an exhaust leak I can't find in the header. I'm going to replace it but if I oculd find an afordable EL that's the route I was going to go before getting another cheap UEL.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #2743
tipsymechanic
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Legacy 2.5i
White

Quote:
Honestly I already have one. I swear this thing has an exhaust leak I can't find in the header. I'm going to replace it but if I oculd find an afordable EL that's the route I was going to go before getting another cheap UEL.
I think your cheapest bet is an OEM 2.5i manifold. None of the other nice headers are under 500, most 700+
Old 09-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #2744
SandmanSaab
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x

Quote:
I think your cheapest bet is an OEM 2.5i manifold. None of the other nice headers are under 500, most 700+
Ebay has some for under $100. Not much in between, the newer manifold seems like a decent design, better than the older stocker for sure.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #2745
Spainky
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 493494

I have a 2006 Impreza 2.5i with an exhaust leak located in the manifold. Instead of fixing it I'd like to go ahead and replace it. I'd like to have UELs but I wouldn't want to have to replace my full exhaust system. Currently my setup is stock manifold and cat pipe with an STI catback and magnaflow muffler.

Would I be able to get rs style uel headers and a cat pipe and have it bolt right up to the catback or would I need a full exhaust for this to work?
If that doesn't work than what are some good EL headers that would bolt right up? I'd like to go for a decent sound more than anything, my current setup sounds really good unless I get on the gas and it starts to get raspy. Eventually I'd like to replace the muffler with something a little bit more toned down as well since the amount of noise that comes from my car is ridiculous and I think it's had a pretty significant effect on my hearing as well.
Spainky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:32 AM   #2746
Joey118
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 399260

I have a 2004 Impreza Outback currently with a custom made hybrid intake. I’d like to get an exhaust that gives me a little more power, and a slight increase in sound (a little louder and deeper. Just enough to be noticeable and sound nice but not make people deaf). Would this be accomplishable with just a muffler or would it be worth it to go full cat-back? What brands/models do you suggest?
Joey118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #2747
0725i
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511856

2007 2.5i, completely stock at purchase.

I recently purchased an Impreza with the intent to mildly modify it for auto-x (SoCal Solo II). Sway bars (front and back), KYB shocks, front strut tower brace and brakes for handling. Intake, exhaust and crank pulley for some extra grunt.

First up was exhaust as it was easiest, to me anyways, as there are lots of exhaust shops around. I read thru NASIOC looking for tips and hints. Having modified many cars in my past I know headers help, and I can do this at a later date.

I went to a local shop that has done work for me before and we saw that the cat exit pipe was reduced to fit the resonator and that reduced pipe diameter was retained on resonator exit to the muffler. We ended up cutting the cat-to-resonator pipe where it reduced in diameter. This left the cat exit pipe of 2.5" to which additional 2.5" pipe was welded in and mated to a Subaru 2.5" resonator, and then welded in 2.5" pipe from the resonator to a 2.5" inlet Magnaflow muffler.

The guys at the shop liked the sound quality, praising the use of the 2.5" Subaru resonator and the look for the oval rolled exhaust tip (fits perfect in the oval fascia cut-out). Having been coached by this forum I wasn't expecting a power gain nor bitchin (WRX UEL) sound. But, I was pleasantly surprised. It does have more grunt on throttle tip-in/part-throttle and has a proper muted rumble to it. On full throttle doesn't feel like any gain at all, probably is a couple of horse gain, but the butt-dyno can't feel that. $640 was the total cost.

Next up, probably not intake. Seems to me much discussion on this subject so I'll leave it alone for now. I must say though I've used K&N since the late 80's on all my cars, several of them drop-in and several CAI types, always felt a power gain.

Next up then will be something I'll need to purchase off the Internet. I'm thinking crank pulley (can't help myself, I want more grunt). Or front/rear sway bars and strut tower brace. Of course, before making a move on either I will continue to gather info from NASIOC.

Thanks for listening...and thanks for all your input on Impreza 2.5i mods!
0725i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #2748
subiemodder77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 434830

I have a 2006 OBS with Delta Cams, PNP, Hybrid Intake, and self tuned. I am working on choosing exhaust but I need help. Take a look at the log below of my load vs. rpm. Based on what I can gather it is taking in 1.7g/rev (~42% more air than stock) near peak power @ 5900 RPM. I didn't have the stock numbers when making this calculation, but from Williaty's thread for the hybrid intake, he had a stock 2.5RS with 1.2g/rev at the same rpm.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y4n...ew?usp=sharing

It is safe to assume that this car can potentially make 1.42*173chp (stock) =chp 245? This assumes I pick the right exhaust obviously. Does any one have this type of log from similar builds or have some perspective to share?

My worry is that if it is possibly making 245chp, the recommend exhaust diameter for this type of output is 2.5". That would be fine if there were better header options and secondary cat options this car. I appreciate any help you all can offer.

Last edited by subiemodder77; 03-23-2020 at 07:33 PM. Reason: link didn't show
subiemodder77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #2749
subidoo4u
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512858

Good evening,
New here and honestly not overly knowledgeable with Subaru's. Our son loves Subaru's and will be turning 16 in October. Being his age, a WRX was out of the question due to insurance. We recently picked up a 2014 Subaru Impreza hatchback 2.0 5 speed. What options are out there for a decent sounding exhaust for this car? Thanks in advance.
subidoo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #2750
wiseguy02rs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512863

2002 impreza rs
tsudo cat back
gutted cats
ebay uel headers
aem intake
DW200 fuel pump
some other little stuff
does anyone have any idea how to tune my ecu its a T3 I believe and I cant get ecuexplorer to work for it its a jecs model has anyone tuned one?
wiseguy02rs is offline   Reply With Quote